www.todaysslapshot.com Coyotes draft preview

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Good work.

My only critiques are
-Dvorak is not the son of an NHLer (AFAIK)
-Your comment about Barzal and Zacha having more offensive upside than Strome is hard to agree with, especially in the case of Zacha.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'd add that dvorak projects as a center still imo, I wouldn't call gormley a mobile defenseman either. I'd also add Domingue to the list of goalies who could be starters, maybe Lee too. Goalies are so hard to project it's pretty nitpicky though. The whole first paragraph was great though, perfectly captured just how badly we got screwed haha. Good to see you rate our forward prospects so highly overall, we do seem to have a fair amount of depth there.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Nice job! Nailed it pretty well.

Re: Gormley, doesn't appear he is in the long-term plans in AZ. He's sitting behind OEL, Stone, Dahlbeck, Murphy and Moore on the depth chart. Even Andrew Campbell was playing ahead of him last year. Fully expect Gormley to be moved around the draft as part of some package to get a 3C back (Berglund, Grigorenko, etc) back or maybe for a big RHD.

Re: Draft - Coyotes D pipeline is weak beyond the players currently in AZ. Sure they would love to see Carlo fall to them at 29/30 or 32, with Meloche as a potential alternative.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Very well written although as pointed out above there are some factual errors. Dvorak is no relation to Radek Dvorak and Ryan Pilon is a nephew to Rich not his son.

Also, I'm not sure "many" scouts had Kyle Turris at number one although I suppose there might have been a few.

Last but not least I don't believe Perlini's dad played in the NHL although I understand he did play professionally in some capacity.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I liked the article. It did make me feel better about our prospects and as a result, I think we should stick with Strome, Hanifin, or Marner. We are in pretty good shape else where.

I think our Chicago pick should be spent on a defense-man and our own 2nd on Blackwood who could be our starting goalie down the road if he continues to be successful at the next couple levels.

Then all latter round picks can be spent on BPA.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Daniel Vladar is a guy I really want somewhere in the second or third. I'd prefer we draft 2 forwards, 3 defenseman, and a goalie with our top 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. The only goalies in the system I like are Langhammer and Domingue. I'd dump the rest.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Last but not least I don't believe Perlini's dad played in the NHL although I understand he did play professionally in some capacity.

Briefly. 8 games with the Leafs.

I'd also add Domingue to the list of goalies who could be starters, maybe Lee too.

Lee? I'd be shocked if he even gets a new contract. Career might be finished anyway with the injury history (hips).

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the kind words guys, and the corrections. I try to be perfect, but there are 30 of these to write up and I get pretty involved.

I was misinformed on Dvorak's legacy status, though Perlini's dad definitely played in the NHL, though not for very long.

Good luck in the draft -- the Coyotes have an extremely bright future!

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Briefly. 8 games with the Leafs.

Lee? I'd be shocked if he even gets a new contract. Career might be finished anyway with the injury history (hips).
Yeah not lee I meant langhammer, the other goalie who starts with L haha.

zLiMbiLLY

Feb 18, 2012
WingF
Wow...this is an amazing read, great analysis.
Been thinking alot about the 2nd rounders and right hand defenders with size and grit, love the fact that you brought Meloche and Juulsen up! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad