WWE raiding NJPW of many top stars (UPDATE: Kenny Omega received 3 offers in 2015)

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This is such a big story that it inspired me to tentatively make a new HF Slammy category. "Story of the year". This is one of the biggest stories in recent memory, iirc.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Nakamura and Styles were signed with the intention of using them on the main roster. WON says they could be used on NXT events, but it's not the intention for those two.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I'm glad Anderson got a contract, if true. I think he's fantastic on the microphone (and pretty damn good in the ring as well) and could really find a place on the roster of guys that are fairly terrible at promos.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I know he wasn't poached from NJPW, but all of this has me wondering....what's the status on Kenta?

Is he still even with the company? I don't think I've seen him since last Wrestlemania. :dunno:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I know he wasn't poached from NJPW, but all of this has me wondering....what's the status on Kenta?

Is he still even with the company? I don't think I've seen him since last Wrestlemania. :dunno:

If I remember right, he's been injured for quite some time. Shoulder, I think?

S A W F T*

He got real injured then kayfabe injured when he was attacked in the parking lot before one of the takeover events.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

He's been out with a shoulder injury for a while.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah I remember an injury hit him right around Wrestlemania, and then it's been radio silence ever since. :help:

His return should be within the next month or two unless it hit a snag that they haven't reported.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
He should be back soon(tm). I expected him back like now based on the dates we had, but with Zayn coming back first, and not going to the main roster like expected, he's prob taking longer to heal up than initially reported.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Reddit insider says more NJPW talents are negotiating with WWE: Rocky Romero, Bad Luck Fale and Tama Tongo.

Romero would likely come in as a trainer/coach, Tama and Fale "appear to be trying to negotiate a better spot in NJPW".

The reddit insider does finish saying he'd expect none of them to leave and get better deals they want from NJPW, but negotiations are happening.

Everyone in NJPW is still in shock over the recent developments in the past 24 hours.

S A W F T*

For someone unfamiliar with NJPW other than the couple main guys. ..

What is the WWE equivalent of talent exodus?

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver

For NJPW it would be like when Hall and Nash left for WCW I guess? I think that's the best analogy

But I'm fully expecting the WWE to underutilize them and toss the two aside eventually

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne

I'd say it would be something like the WWE having a main event picture consisting of Cena, Reigns, Orton and Reigns. And then Orton and Rollins leaving and Cena has start started to go part time.

NJPW had four top main event guys. Tanahahi, Okada, Nakamura, and AJ Styles.

Tanahashi is the 'old guard' that carried the company in bad times and is now on the way down (kinda Cena).
Okada is the 'next one' who just won the 'passing the torch' match at WK10 (kinda Reigns, but better received).
Nakamura is 3rd on the list, but is still a top tier main event guy (kinda Orton).
AJ Styles was the top foreign guy and leader of one of the biggest faction in the Bullet Club. (kinda Rollins)

The tag team was the top foreign tag team, also Bullet Club.

Losing the tag team isn't a big deal. They can be replaced by others easily enough (see Bad Luck Fale and Tama Tongo already trying to get that spot). It sucks, but they can be replaced. Would be like WWE losing a team like Cesaro/Kidd, but tag teams are easy to replace. The Briscoe Brothers could replace them easily enough.

But AJ and Nakamura basically removed half the main event stars, and a 3rd is on the way down. There isn't anyone who can instantly move up and take those spots, so they have to build some new stars really quick.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

TNA signing James Storm away from NXT :laugh:

I don't exactly see it working for Styles. But he, as well the others, can always return to ROH/Japan once their deals expire.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
WWE should consider talent trading rather than pure poaching.

I hope they do with Nakamura what they should have done more with KENTA. Treat him like a huge pitcher coming in from Japan to the Yankees or the Dodgers. We all know NXT is the better product, but sending him down there does not look good to the majority of wrestling casuals who still only see WWE as the majors.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
As far as Storm, to me he fits in TNA better. Same with Bobby Roode. Austin Aries is the guy NXT/WWE should have grabbed.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Roode and Storm were the two I thought should have jumped awhile ago. Beer Money could have been huge in WWE.

Aries would work in NXT but not WWE IMO.

littleD

Interested to see what kind of schedules Styles and Nakamura can/will work with WWE.

Styles is 38, already talked about working less, and is just coming back from time off due to injury.

Nakamura is 35. Can he work 100+ singles matches in a year, with all the travel thrown in as well?

Or is this big money for small schedules?

NJPW works lots and lots of tag matches. 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 100v100... Nakamura had 140+ matches in NJPW in 2015, less than 20 of them were singles matches. Crazy. Doubt he can work that kind of schedule in WWE.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Uh, if WWE is writing and tweeting about it, there's no way they don't have them in-camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad