WWE: WWE PPV Thread: Up Now - THE ROYAL RUMBLE (with no fans)

Sep 19, 2008
Don't think it ever caught up to the hype of the Taker Styles match. That was the highest point and you couldn't top that. Fiend house was the only closest thing after that.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Let's be honest, the more Bray Wyatt stays out of the ring, the better.
I think he can be a decent wrestler. He's a big guy, and he's fairly athletic.

His match with Rollins in HIAC was super entertaining until the horrible booking just took over.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don’t get what people expected Goldberg and Lesnar to be, I mean you can hate that that’s what they do, but they’re not guys who work by the hour. Lesnar working 15 minutes with no crowd would’ve been way worse. Both matches were exactly what they were supposed to be, and Lesnar still worked hard to put McIntyre over.
I think for me, it's the over-reliance on finishers.

You can still have a 5-6 minute match without spamming the **** out of finishing moves. Like, Goldberg just hits his **** out of nowhere on Strowman. So what's to stop any other wrestler from just going right into their finishing move on Strowman from here on out? If he faces, for example, Roman Reigns. What's to stop Reigns from just superman punching and spearing Strowman right from the get-go?

I would just like there to be some sort of feeling out process. Like some tie-ups, some punches thrown, maybe an irish whip or two and a clothesline here or there. I'm not expecting a great match, but something that doesn't look like spamming buttons on a video game would be nice.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

You can still have a 5-6 minute match without spamming the **** out of finishing moves. Like, Goldberg just hits his **** out of nowhere on Strowman. So what's to stop any other wrestler from just going right into their finishing move on Strowman from here on out? If he faces, for example, Roman Reigns. What's to stop Reigns from just superman punching and spearing Strowman right from the get-go?

I would just like there to be some sort of feeling out process. Like some tie-ups, some punches thrown, maybe an irish whip or two and a clothesline here or there. I'm not expecting a great match, but something that doesn't look like spamming buttons on a video game would be nice.
You say this like it isn't what happens in a Reigns match now.

Reactions: dahrougem2

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

That’s exactly has what kept Goldberg good though. He’s not supposed to do real wrestling, he’s at his best when he’s kept under 4 minutes and doing only power moves. As far as Strowman, it didn’t work was the point of that. Although one reason they never put the title on Strowman is because they now have to beat him.

I think he can be a decent wrestler. He's a big guy, and he's fairly athletic.

His match with Rollins in HIAC was super entertaining until the horrible booking just took over.
I don’t know that he can, maybe he can, but really he doesn’t. His matches always underdeliver, except with Bryan involved.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That’s exactly has what kept Goldberg good though. He’s not supposed to do real wrestling, he’s at his best when he’s kept under 4 minutes and doing only power moves. As far as Strowman, it didn’t work was the point of that. Although one reason they never put the title on Strowman is because they now have to beat him.
I don't think throwing in some punches and some tie-ups is going to hurt Goldberg. I get why they have to protect him - dude can't have a real match. But it's not like I'm asking for a 5-star classic here.

Just something to build up to the finishing moves, and not going straight to them. Even if it's something small.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
People forget there needs to be a balance. Nobody wants to see Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada 7 times on the same card. Just like nobody wanted to see Flair vs Steamboat 7 times on the same card, it's why WCW never grew until they got a more diverse roster/booking style.

Goldberg guys have a place on the card. I don't want to see thin good wrestler #1 vs thin good wrestler #2 for 30 minutes over and over and over again.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I didn't watch night 1 but watched last night.

Cena/Wyatt stuff was amazing for what it was.
Edge/Orton was boring and way too f***ing long.
And Lesnar/McIntyre was trash. I hate the finisher spam. It also devalues the finisher.

Everything else was meh.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Goldberg's never been good. Always has and will be a joke imo. He's also the guy who ended Bret Harts career because he was/is a terrible and dangerous worker. I have zero respect for him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Goldberg's never been good. Always has and will be a joke imo. He's also the guy who ended Bret Harts career because he was/is a terrible and dangerous worker. I have zero respect for him.
A lot of wrestling is subjective so I can't take it too far, but I'm with you. I cannot stand and never good stand Goldberg. His matches suck. When he was going on his streak, I was young and my brother would watch WCW and I never got it. Even as a young kid I thought the dude was meh. I watched WWF instead. I never bought the guy 1 time and still can't.

But im sure some people will say that about the guys I like so.. it is what it is.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My first Goldberg memory was him spearing Rodney Mack through the pyro

for that reason I’ve always thought he was cool af. I didn’t really get the chance to watch WCW as I was 8 or 9 when it died

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
My takeaways

• Owens and Rollins was my favorite match.
  • Edge and Orton did not live up to the hype.
  • Taker and Styles boneyard match was pretty cool.
  • Wyatt and Cena was very entertaining, but kind of stupid.
  • I feel as if Sasha has been teasing the idea of turning on Bayley for the past 3 years.
  • Rhea Ripley loss is believed to be because her work visa expired.
  • Also not gonna lie, I may have shed a little tear during the Otis and Mandy segment. I'm not ashamed.

Everything else was meh.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Since I read ecstatic reviews about the AJ vs Undertaker match I watched only that. First ten minutes were cringe-worthy for me: I don't like the american badass 'Taker character (but I can understand the choice because without crowd and with the new setting you need the trash talk, which at first didn't convince me but then grew up on me) and the cinematic thing wasn't for me (I'm more like "good ol' ring"). Then when Taker appeared behind AJ on the tractor I recognized my old Taker and the whole thing picked up for me dramatically. Taker's talks were a bit too much for my taste and not always spot on with the moment (again I prefer the less talkative, more solemn Taker); the hug was again setting the bar lower sadly. The final, with the burying, the tombstone and AJ's hand was fantastic. I agree with the posters who said a Kane or Paul Bearer's voices were needed, but I'm glad they saved those for when the REAL Undertaker will call it quits for good.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
These pre-show hosts are terrible. The Peter guy says "Tamina might have the most diverse move set in all of wwe". I know it's his job to sell Tamina but no one's buying that crap. She's easily one of the least talented wrestlers in the company and it's a joke that she's getting a push right now even if it ends tonight.

Reactions: Kaner9

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Tamina is so bad. WWE need to use the good women in the title matches Come on. And if Nia wins later the fans will riot. If there were fans. :thumbd:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Enjoyed NXT Takeover. Enjoyed Summerslam. Now payback is on and the Roman Reigns stuff is AWESOME.

Personally - i think Big E could have a Daniel Bryan type run. People want to love him.

Reactions: Kaner9

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Im in for Roman taking the title if wwe really does it and keeps him badass for once. Never thought Id think it but they got me this week

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad