GDT: WWE NXT: TakeOver Philadelphia (27th January 2018) - Ciampa Watch

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Just got through Takeover. Holy f***ing shit... how is there such a disconnect from NXT and the main roster?

Black vs Cole was incredible, and then holy balls... Gargano/Almas. That was one of the best matches I have ever seen. Absolute insanity.

NXT is in great hands with those 4 guys. Gargano will be one of the biggest stars in this company.

4.5 stars for Black and Cole and an easy 5 stars for Gargano/Almas

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
cole and black not being a 5* match doesnt mean it was bad.
it was great. but the main event stole the show and it was a crazy fun one that we rarely see in wwe programs.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Black vs. Almas and Johnny vs. Ciampa in New Orleans...I want it.
and maybe... Authors of Pain vs. War Machine *drool*... seriously, Authors of Pain may be the first Tag Team in history to every prove me to be really f***ing stupid. I hated them for no reason other than their look and their first few matches. But my god, they're f***ing incredible.

Maybe we'll get out first 6 match Takeover?

Black vs. Almas
Gargano vs. Ciampa

Other potential matches;
Sane vs. Bazsler vs. Moon
Authors of Pain vs. War Machine
TM 61 vs. Undisputed Era
Roderick Strong vs. Pete Dunne

And you still have Adam Cole, Velveteen Dream, Sanity, Ricochet, EC3....

NXT is f***ing stacked.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Gargano vs. Almas has moved into the Top-3 matches of All-Time in NXT for me. All 3 matches I have sitting at *****. They are as follows;

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn
NXT Women's Championship Match

Bayley vs. Sasha Banks (c)

NXT Takeover: Toronto
NXT Tag Team Championship 2 out of 3 Falls Match

#DIY vs. The Revival (c)

NXT Takeover: Philadelphia
NXT World Championship Match

Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade 'Cien' Almas (c)

PS.
I have one other match listed at *****, but the emotion was not quite as high as the above matches so it's at smidgen below and that, of course, was Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Authors of Pain vs. Undisputed Era
Rating: ****

Velveteen Dream vs. Kassius Ohno
Rating: ***1/2

Ember Moon vs. Shayna Bazsler
Rating: **3/4

Adam Cole vs. Aleister Black
Rating: ****1/4

Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade Almas
Rating: *****

Reactions: ColePens

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Almas/Gargano is absolutely deserving of the praise. It had excellent an excellent build up and drama in it
I just think people are sleeping on Black/Cole. I'm not saying it's better or anything, but I don't get some of your guys ratings

If Black/Cole is a 4 and a quarter, then no way is Almas/Gargano 5 stars imo

But again, that's just me
I'll stop now lol
Clear good guy, clear bad guy cutting off good guy, good guy is one of if not the best underdog in all of wrestling today and the crowd is cheering for him to win, the perfect incorporation of Johnny’s wife chasing off Zelina leading to that insane final 5-10 minute crescendo ultimately ending with Almas pulling it off clean. The noise, the intensity, the drama, it was everything professional wrestling should be.

Black vs. Cole was great. It was a slower start though, and it just wasn’t as good as the best WWE match in almost a year. More overbooked, slower start, not as dramatic. There’s no problem with that. It just wasn’t on the level of the main event.

Black vs. Cole is a weak ****1/4 or strong **** whereas Almas/Gargano is a legit ***** with, if you want to break Meltzer’s scale, can be even higher. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I am completely spent after that show. And driving around for an hour and a half. Can’t wait to do a 6-hour show tomorrow!

I’m not even sure they wanted Ciampa there, but you knew they had to deliver on the spot. Kinda wish they would make Gargano take the title off of him, but there would be too much hot-shotting. Crowd when he wins the title is going to be insane, I hope it happens in Brooklyn.

The crowd was disappointed that Gargano didn’t win but they weren’t angry about it. And I didn’t expect they would be. It was very quiet leaving the building.

This is the original Bayley story all over again and I am definitely here for it. NXT has a lot of great guys and stars, but the Gargano storyline is the best one and needs to be completely serviced.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Almas and Gargano deliver again.

"Almas bland" lololololololololololololoooloolololoplo9ololoool0ookhioloojomjoololol
Almas has looked like a star from the moment I saw him arrive in NXT and Zelina has helped him get to the next level. Very, very far from bland. He looks like a million bucks, charismatic, and he’s tranquilo.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Almas has looked like a star from the moment I saw him arrive in NXT and Zelina has helped him get to the next level. Very, very far from bland. He looks like a million bucks, charismatic, and he’s tranquilo.

I wasn’t super into him when he first started as a face, but man I am all about Almas right now.

Zelina low key might be the best thing going in the company. I absolutely love her. Best manager for sure.

Reactions: Virtanen18

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I wasn’t super into him when he first started as a face, but man I am all about Almas right now.

Zelina low key might be the best thing going in the company. I absolutely love her. Best manager for sure.
I wasn’t into him as a face because of the hat and suspenders and whatnot, but his look — it wasn’t hard to see he’d break out and be a star with the right fit and role.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If you said a year ago that Almas would be main eventing takeover as the champion, you would be crazy.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
the guy legit has talent. has shown it for a long time, but yes the unmasking, the hat, the suspenders... not what i wanted when he debuted for wwe, but he has never let down in the ring. incredible performance by both.

(the unmasking did help or else he would be another luchador, but i was disappointed as a fan)

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I hope neither of you guys are saying I said these things regarding Takeover main events and being the best thing going when I didn’t say it lol.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Omfg... just watched the main event. Holy amazing. NXT just gets it.

+ Gargano/Almas - what a story told. Underdog vs the champ. They put on a clinic. Mauro was insanely awesome at selling the story. The story mattered. Gargano was a star. A Daniel Bryan like star. The best part.. the record counted and they kept saying it the entire time. Johnny was 0-2. It worked for the story. The story, commentating, and the wrestling made that a 5 star match.

+ Cole/Black - perfect story, destruction, run-ins, etc. The story made sense. Black was a bad ass and it cost him at times early in the match. It was brilliant. Both guys were stars.

+ Tag champs - the match focused on the leg and the power vs. the speed. The match ended with the leg playing a role in the match. It was incredible.

The stories told in NXT.. HOW is this the same company? Oh and please give Gargano the belt at WM weekend?

Reactions: UnrealMachine

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Maybe we'll get out first 6 match Takeover?

Black vs. Almas
Gargano vs. Ciampa

Other potential matches;
Sane vs. Bazsler vs. Moon
Authors of Pain vs. War Machine
TM 61 vs. Undisputed Era
Roderick Strong vs. Pete Dunne

And you still have Adam Cole, Velveteen Dream, Sanity, Ricochet, EC3...

NXT is ****ing stacked.

Probably

Black vs Almas
Gargano vs Ciampi (hopefully, he still had a bit of limp but has a few more months)
Moon vs Bazsler II
Sanity vs Undisputed Era 6-man
Velveteen Dream vs EC3
UK match

Gargano vs. Almas has moved into the Top-3 matches of All-Time in NXT for me. All 3 matches I have sitting at *****. They are as follows;

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn
NXT Women's Championship Match

Bayley vs. Sasha Banks (c)

NXT Takeover: Toronto
NXT Tag Team Championship 2 out of 3 Falls Match

#DIY vs. The Revival (c)

NXT Takeover: Philadelphia
NXT World Championship Match

Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade 'Cien' Almas (c)

PS.
I have one other match listed at *****, but the emotion was not quite as high as the above matches so it's at smidgen below and that, of course, was Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne.

Mine is probably the same but Bate/Dunne is #3 Johnny/Almas is #4

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
dodging these haters

giphy.gif

Almas can go in the ring but his character is painfully boring to me.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Meltzer and Alvarez both saying best match in NXT history

Post Wrestling had a poll asking the same thing.

I don’t have time to watch it yet but I can’t wait to see the broadcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad