WWAC Mock Draft

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
With the NHL Entry Draft just about 2 weeks away, we’ve put together a couple of mock drafts. Enjoy and let us know how yours differ!

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/1684-2013-nhl-mock-draft

jones_seth_2012_u18_usa_14857.jpg

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Rychel at 21 seems fairly likely.

If Horvat drops to 21 and we take him I'll be doing cartwheels down Yonge St.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There's absolutely no way Max Domi drops that far, let alone being passed by Toronto.

No. Way.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Nurse makes sense on EDM.

But they take another forward, I see Lindholm.

imo Nichushkin will drop to Buffalo.

outside the big 4.

5.Carolina- Nurse (but i see Carolina trading down, so it's tough to mock)
6.Calgary - Monahan
7.Edmonton - Lindholm
8.Buffalo - Nichushkin
9. NJD - Shinkaruk (Makes too much sense - they need another scorer)

scottcwheeler

Nov 22, 2012
There's absolutely no way Max Domi drops that far, let alone being passed by Toronto.

No. Way.

I'm not a fan of Domi's defensive game (at all) and his size will likely leave him a tad lower than his traditional ranking.

He's undoubtedly one of the more skilled players, but his work ethic and defensive game, particularly in the Memorial Cup when the team struggled was bad. Everyone saw the beautiful between the legs pass, but beyond that he was a no-show against the better competition and I think it will hurt him come draft time (3 points in 5 games and -9).

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Do explain, having followed the majority of these players since Minor Midget/Bantam AAA.

Bo Horvat,Domi,Wenneberg, and morin will not drop that much. they don't even have Wenneberg in the first round..... Leafs will never pass on domi for Rychel whos almost a year older than Domi.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
In the 2nd mock draft, I think you listed Robert Hagg twice.

See:

27 – Columbus Blue Jackets: Robert Hagg

A strong showing at the 2013 WJC could be a sign of things to come for the rugged defender. The Jackets finish up their successful first round with this two-way defender.

30 – Dallas Stars/Chicago Blackhawks: Robert Hagg

Good skating d-man that can rush the puck and put up points.

scottcwheeler

Nov 22, 2012
Bo Horvat,Domi,Wenneberg, and morin will not drop that much. they don't even have Wenneberg in the first round..... Leafs will never pass on domi for Rychel whos almost a year older than Domi.

My rationale:

Domi: See above.

Horvat: I would have had him earlier, but Columbus has two picks prior, one of which they'll use on a guy like Mantha, which makes a strong defender like Theordore as a suitable selection at 19. Guys like Gauthier, Mueller, Lazar are no surprise to go ahead of him either.

Morin: Many have him as an early 2nd rounder but he's the perfect fit for MTL late in the first round.

Wenneberg not being in first round: He could easily go mid-first to late first round (many have him there) but so many of the top European prospects have performed so well this year. Burakovsky, Rose, Hagg and even Lehkonen have performed extremely well and have the great intangibles and European scouts will see that. Again, he could easily find his way in, but I'm skeptical. If Lehkonen wasn't so weak along the boards I would have had him in my first round.

Let's be clear too, this is a mock draft, not a BPA ranking. With the way it's shaping up with several teams having multiple picks, a few forwards will be pushed back.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
My rationale:

Domi: See above.

Horvat: I would have had him earlier, but Columbus has two picks prior, one of which they'll use on a guy like Mantha, which makes a strong defender like Theordore as a suitable selection at 19. Guys like Gauthier, Mueller, Lazar are no surprise to go ahead of him either.

Morin: Many have him as an early 2nd rounder but he's the perfect fit for MTL late in the first round.

Wenneberg not being in first round: He could easily go mid-first to late first round (many have him there) but so many of the top European prospects have performed so well this year. Burakovsky, Rose, Hagg and even Lehkonen have performed extremely well and have the great intangibles and European scouts will see that. Again, he could easily find his way in, but I'm skeptical. If Lehkonen wasn't so weak along the boards I would have had him in my first round.

Let's be clear too, this is a mock draft, not a BPA ranking. With the way it's shaping up with several teams having multiple picks, a few forwards will be pushed back.

Quite possible.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
I think Wennberg goes in the 14-20 area. He's one of the few centres with top six potential. I would be pretty choked if Toronto let him go without a very solid pick available instead

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I'm not a fan of Domi's defensive game (at all) and his size will likely leave him a tad lower than his traditional ranking.

He's undoubtedly one of the more skilled players, but his work ethic and defensive game, particularly in the Memorial Cup when the team struggled was bad. Everyone saw the beautiful between the legs pass, but beyond that he was a no-show against the better competition and I think it will hurt him come draft time (3 points in 5 games and -9).

If you watched any of the combine Domi was one of the few first rounders that already have an nhl ready body. He is small but thick. From what I saw and read he is around 190-200 and being from London I know he is a gym rat. He has diabetes so eating healthy and working out isn't an option. I predict him being a mix of Marchand(except not as dirty of a *****) and Pat Kane. I have watched a loooooot of knights games the last two years and he is going to be a treat to whoever drafts him. His hands, vision and ability to pick defenders pockets is unbelievable.

Edit: I could see us taking either of Horvat or Domi if they happen to slide to 21 but I honestly think we end up with either Gauthier or Rychel/Hartman. I wouldn't be upset with either of them but I think Rychel's ceiling is the lowest. I would love to see us make a move up the boards packing some of our prospects in a deal. In my dreams we somehow get into the top 7 and Nikushkin slides or we grab one of the Centermen or even Nurse. Most likely we will stand pat or maybe move up a few spots similar to what we did to get Biggs.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If you watched any of the combine Domi was one of the few first rounders that already have an nhl ready body. He is small but thick. From what I saw and read he is around 190-200 and being from London I know he is a gym rat. He has diabetes so eating healthy and working out isn't an option. I predict him being a mix of Marchand(except not as dirty of a *****) and Pat Kane. I have watched a loooooot of knights games the last two years and he is going to be a treat to whoever drafts him. His hands, vision and ability to pick defenders pockets is unbelievable.

Edit: I could see us taking either of Horvat or Domi if they happen to slide to 21 but I honestly think we end up with either Gauthier or Rychel/Hartman. I wouldn't be upset with either of them but I think Rychel's ceiling is the lowest. I would love to see us make a move up the boards packing some of our prospects in a deal. In my dreams we somehow get into the top 7 and Nikushkin slides or we grab one of the Centermen or even Nurse. Most likely we will stand pat or maybe move up a few spots similar to what we did to get Biggs.

Based on what, exactly?

The back-to-back 40 goal seasons?
The fact that once his skating develops further, he'll be able to more easily create offense?

I would say Hartman has the lowest ceiling there.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010

My take on Domi as well. I can totally see Domi dropping to the mid twenties.

scottcwheeler

Nov 22, 2012
My actual rankings (very different from my Mock Draft predictions):

2013 Draft Ranking:
1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Seth Jones
3. Jonathan Drouin
4. Alexander Barkov
5. Sean Monahan
6. Valeri Nichushkin
7. Darnell Nurse
8. Elias Lindholm
9. Rasmus Ristolainen
10. Hunter Shinkaruk
11. Ryan Pulock
12. Nikita Zadorov
13. Burakowsky, Andre
14. Valentin Zykov
15. Anthony Mantha
16. Mirco Mueller
17. Curtis Lazar
18. Bo Horvat
19. Fredrik Gauthier
20. Shea Theodore
21. Kerby Rychel
22. Chris Bigras
23. Ryan Hartman
24. Zach Fucale
25. Max Domi
26. Joshua Morrissey
27. Zach Nastasiuk
28. Robert Hagg
29. Adam Erne
30. Jacob Rose

Honourable mentions: Alexander Wennberg, JT Compher, Samuel Morin, Arturri Lehkonen, William Carrier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad