WU-17 Champs Team Ontario

gorrillaunit18

don't say things, such as how you beat an entire country. Your logic is waaaaay off there bud. You don't realize how unpopular hockey is in the States. But, if it makes you sleep better at night, then go right ahead. :biglaugh:

Hawks28

Jun 26, 2007
don't say things, such as how you beat an entire country. Your logic is waaaaay off there bud. You don't realize how unpopular hockey is in the States. But, if it makes you sleep better at night, then go right ahead. :biglaugh:

any way you wanna look at it, it was an impressive performance by Team Ontario, to go 6-0 and win gold. And you can say what you want about hockey being unpopular in the US, but the USNTDP has a larger pool of players to choose from than team Ontario, and the US team has been practicing together, playing together, living together since September I believe.

gorrillaunit18

any way you wanna look at it, it was an impressive performance by Team Ontario, to go 6-0 and win gold. And you can say what you want about hockey being unpopular in the US, but the USNTDP has a larger pool of players to choose from than team Ontario, and the US team has been practicing together, playing together, living together since September I believe.

I'm not trying to take anything away from team Ontario, but when you have a whole nation that is obsessed w/ hockey, it makes more of a difference than you think. I guarantee that Canada is the only country on earth that knows this tournament exists. For us to be able to even compete w/ such a hockey loving country is pretty good by itself. You should be able to smoke every opponent you play (not just the USA), considering how serious you take it compared to others.

TorFC-TML*

I'm not trying to take anything away from team Ontario, but when you have a whole nation that is obsessed w/ hockey, it makes more of a difference than you think. I guarantee that Canada is the only country on earth that knows this tournament exists. For us to be able to even compete w/ such a hockey loving country is pretty good by itself. You should be able to smoke every opponent you play (not just the USA), considering how serious you take it compared to others.

You mean 'hockey loving Province'.:teach:

jaydub*

whats the big deal? iim sure the state of texas' best high school football team could beat the canadian all star high school football. similiar situation

Joretus

We only needed one province to beat the entire tournament

Yeah, tournament where not all nations aren't bringing top players, tournament which is played in NA always, tournament where european teams are playing first times mostly in small rinks, tournament where europeans are coming day or two before actual tournament starts, etcetc.

I wouldn't go bragging so much, not even mentioning how much bigger player pool there is just in ontario or how much more people are living in just example in Ontario than in whole Sweden, Finland and Czech, etc.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Yeah, tournament where not all nations aren't bringing top players, tournament which is played in NA always, tournament where european teams are playing first times mostly in small rinks, tournament where europeans are coming day or two before actual tournament starts, etcetc.

I wouldn't go bragging so much, not even mentioning how much bigger player pool there is just in ontario or how much more people are living in just example in Ontario than in whole Sweden, Finland and Czech, etc.

So the same thing as the World Juniors and we are still in the Gold Medal game every year! You provide such great logic!!

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
whats the big deal? iim sure the state of texas' best high school football team could beat the canadian all star high school football. similiar situation

Perfect point. And it wouldn't be close. Some of our fans really are arrogant. There's probably almost as many people registered to play hockey in Ontario as there is in the US, if not more.

Hawks28

Jun 26, 2007

wow 1 post, and like 5 different excuses. have any more to share with us? Cant just give the winning team some credit?

Joretus

wow 1 post, and like 5 different excuses. have any more to share with us? Cant just give the winning team some credit?

Yes, and all are valid.

There is difference between giving winners credit and telling why ppl shouldn't bash here other nations. I give credit to players, teams, etc. But I surely don't give any credit for fans who are more about bashing other teams than enjoying just winning.

D-NoY

Apr 13, 2004

Actually, Canada also won the last 3 football world youth championship....:sarcasm:

CANADA CHAMPIONS AGAIN - Canada won the NFL Global Junior Championship title for a third successive year with a dominant 23-13 victory over a Team USA featuring student athletes from South Florida counties Broward and Miami-Dade.

Quarterback Bruno Prud’Homme (below) ran and threw for a touchdown as Canada responded to a first quarter Jason Frierson (Coral Gables High School) touchdown catch from a Derek Rifenbury (Monarch) pass by scoring 17 unanswered points. The second year signal caller scored on a 14-yard run to take a 10-7 lead after a 23-yard Dan Village field goal, then hit Ismael Bamba with a 30-yard pass in the third quarter.

Two more Village field goals from 34 and 37 yards put Canda in an unassailable 23-7 lead, which was only dented when Rifenbury found tight end Michael Hellman (Everglades) from 9 yards out.

“It was an outstanding victory for us,†said Canada head coach Glen Constantin. “It was really important for us that we contained them and we did that. Coming to South Florida where the great college prospects are we knew it would be tough so we are very happy to have won.â€

Team USA head coach Mark Guandolo admitted: “We have no excuses. Canada was the better team today. We knew it was going to be a tough game. It’s a great experience to work with kids that we never usually get a chance to work with and I thought the team came together well and played their hearts out.â€

Earlier in the day Mexico won the battle for third place with a 25-17 win over Japan having trailed 14-0 in the first quarter to a Satoshi Kawahara touchdown catch and a Shinnosuke Kamo interception return for a score. Running back Alexis Magallanes scored twice on the ground, Alfonso Espinosa went in from 9 yards, out and a safety and two field goals completed the comeback.

Panama took fifth place with its first victory in five attempts having also played in the competition in 2000. A 40-yard Cesar Tucker interception return for a touchdown negated Jeremy Rabot’s 91-yard scoring kickoff return, then Kenrick Belgrave saw off France with a run from a yard out.

Hawks28

Jun 26, 2007
Yes, and all are valid.

There is difference between giving winners credit and telling why ppl shouldn't bash here other nations. I give credit to players, teams, etc. But I surely don't give any credit for fans who are more about bashing other teams than enjoying just winning.

hmmm, where is all the bashing of the other U17 teams? Im not seeing it, and I certainly havent done any of it myself.

I dont find all these excuses to be valid. The way I see it, the best team in the tournament won. I saw every European team once, except Germany, and I think they clearly werent as good as the team that captured gold. Finland, for example, was the 2nd best european team, I saw them play Ontario, and I could deinitely see they had some very talented players to watch for the future. But I could also see that they were completely outclassed in every area of the game. They would've been overmatched even if they arrived a couple days earlier, or if the game was on the big ice, etc. It wouldnt have made a difference. All I'm saying is that Ontario won the tourney because they were the best team there, not because of some so called massive advantage, that just comes across as whiny ******** excuses. They proved they were the best team there on the ice, and in dominating fashion I might add, and they deserve some credit for that.

And according to an american fan with a clue, it was the americans who had the advantage, if there was one, in the gold medal game. here is part of a good post from VOB in the thread on the prospects board:

As impressive as Team Canada's accomplishments are, what Team Ontario has done tonight is even more impressive. They dominated a team that has been together since August, a team that has established chemistry and one that should have won considering the advantages they had.

Its nice to see that some people can still call it like it is, and give credit where it is due.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Actually, Canada also won the last 3 football world youth championship....:sarcasm:

You do realize team USA's roster was comprised of players from only 2 counties in Florida (there's 67 counties in the state). Looks like Canada sent the best the whole country had to offer and only won by 10. I'm sure a complete 'team Florida' would probably win 50-0. That's actually really nothing to brag about.:teach::help:

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
You do realize team USA's roster was comprised of players from only 2 counties in Florida (there's 67 counties in the state). Looks like Canada sent the best the whole country had to offer and only won by 10. I'm sure a complete 'team Florida' would probably win 50-0. That's actually really nothing to brag about.:teach::help:

Exactly. Although I will say that Dade County is one of the best producers of NCAA Div 1 talent in America. Still a countRy vs. a county is hardly close.

That state teams of FLA, CAL or TEX would drop 200 on our countries best.

Joretus

hmmm, where is all the bashing of the other U17 teams? Im not seeing it, and I certainly havent done any of it myself.

Yeah, just first post is about "providence beating country", and then again in here and in couple of other threads as well. That's bashing for me.

And I just told what kind of tournament it's. Obviously best team won, but what does it mean? Well I gave answers about what kind of tournament it's. Tournament which isn't clearly top priority for nations so much as it seems like to be for some provinces(or at least fans from those provinces). And yes every NA teams had huge advantage over european teams and yes Ontario might have won in europe with jetlag as well. I just stated that it shouldn't be so big surprise if european teams aren't too competitive in this tournament. And what things are giving clear disadvantage for them in this kind of competition.

Then again it seems Canadian hockey fans aren't just proud of their hockey, but more just cocky. As it seems in this threads and in others as well. But good that there is still some classy winners in Canada as well. I'm always givind credit for those who can win with class and I'll always give feedback to those who can't. Then again prolly I shouldn't, since latter prolly can't talk in classy way about things anyway.

I have played my share of hockey against tired overseas players so I know what new surroundings and jetlag will do. There is huge difference between rested, used for rink size and timezones players and people who aren't. Have seen how NHL player(back then junior tho) wasn't anything special when being tired and not used for surroundings. And then dominating when being used. Maybe you should travel as well and you would see it as well if you haven't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawks28

Jun 26, 2007
I have played my share of hockey against tired overseas players so I know what new surroundings and jetlag will do. There is huge difference between rested, used for rink size and timezones players and people who aren't. Have seen how NHL player(back then junior tho) wasn't anything special when being tired and not used for surroundings. And then dominating when being used. Maybe you should travel as well and you would see it as well if you haven't.

I have. I played my share of hockey. Furthest away travel was to California, we played in Oakland early the day after we landed in San Francisco from Toronto. Of course, it was nowhere near this level of play, but I am familiar with travel and jet lag.

I understand your point of view, but IMO, the travel and other factors you have suggested are not as significant as you think they are. And its not like Canada doesnt travel for similar tournaments and face the same kind of situation. Maybe the best comparison is the Ivan Hlinka U18, I doubt the CDN players have much too much big ice experience at that point, they have the jet lag too since its in Czech Rep. & Slovakia every year. And Canada has done quite well in this tourney, and I dont think they go into it with the mindset that they are at some extreme disadvantage.

Another one of your reasons was teams not bringing top players. Considering the fact that Canada sends 5 regional/provincial teams, not 1 team. You also mentioned Ontarios population, but Team West also finished ahead of the European teams, and Manitoba and Saskatchewan have a population of less than 2.2 million.

Lastly, I honestly think for the most part, you have confused CDN fans giving props to team Ontario, as bashing the other teams. I think I've been in all the U17 threads, and other than a post or 2, which arent even that bad, I really dont see much to complain about.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad