Post-Game Talk: WTF? Kane passes, Fatty McLargeass is solid: Jets Too Legit To Quit in Washington!

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
After last night's game, I don't know how Noel can't not put Redmond in for Clitsome. From all indications from St. John's, Redmond is the more defensively sound between him and Postma. We know what Postma is (excellent offensively, average-to-below-average defensively) but he's doing everything expected of him. Clitsome on the other hand has just been awful.

I'd also like to see Scheifele play an entire game at C between Ladd and Little. It's the only way we'll know for sure if he should stay up, because if he does, that's the ideal spot for him to play anyways.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Darrin Bauming ‏@DarrinBauming
Noel says he needs to get Kyle Wellwood back in the lineup. "He's too good a player." #NHLJets

Nice problem to have.

I liked Postma more and more last night. He seems to be getting his confidence which is great. A guy like him will probably always make defensive mistakes but if he can create more offense than he gives up he could be very useful for us. I see him playing bottom pair with a responsible partner with 2PP duties.

Clitsome tries but he needs to settle down. We've seen glimpses of what he can do but maybe he's a guy who will never put it together mentally in the NHL.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Nice problem to have.

I liked Postma more and more last night. He seems to be getting his confidence which is great. A guy like him will probably always make defensive mistakes but if he can create more offense than he gives up he could be very useful for us. I see him playing bottom pair with a responsible partner with 2PP duties.

Clitsome tries but he needs to settle down. We've seen glimpses of what he can do but maybe he's a guy who will never put it together mentally in the NHL.

Yeah, it's a nice change from last year!

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Nice problem to have.

Agreed.

I was really impressed by Wright last night, but I think he makes an ideal 13th forward as opposed to a 4th line regular.

If Wellwood plays on the 4th line, I think we have a solid, solid line up:

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Antropov/Scheifele - Little
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov/Scheifele
Thorburn - Slater - Wellwood
(Wright)

I would have killed for that type of depth last year.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets coach Claude Noel press conference

Coach-Noel-January-23-2013-300x168.jpg

Coach Noel – Team came off road trip healthy. Keeping things in perspective. Status of Miettinen. Wellwood’s status. Will Wellwood be moved as a result of success of Wheeler/Kane. Byfuglien’s playing minutes and consistency. What has changed in Buff’s game? Talks about the Capitals. Three games in how confident is he? Response when lineup changes work out? Jokinen/Kane/Wheeler – bona fide 1st line? Antropov/Little/Ladd line success. Importance of keeping emotional balance. Assessment of Jokinen’s play. Play of Paul Postma. Thoughts on Mark Scheifele. Preparation for Penguins.

To listen to the above click here.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
After last night's game, I don't know how Noel can't not put Redmond in for Clitsome. From all indications from St. John's, Redmond is the more defensively sound between him and Postma. We know what Postma is (excellent offensively, average-to-below-average defensively) but he's doing everything expected of him. Clitsome on the other hand has just been awful.

I'd also like to see Scheifele play an entire game at C between Ladd and Little. It's the only way we'll know for sure if he should stay up, because if he does, that's the ideal spot for him to play anyways.

I really like Scheifele, but...

Expecting him to be better in that role than Burmi at this point is probably expecting too much.

Yes. That is where the Jets want Scheifele long term, but I don't think he will get thrown into that role any time soon. Just like Burmi did last year, he is going to have to put in work and earn his way past Antropov.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really like Scheifele, but...

Expecting him to be better in that role than Burmi at this point is probably expecting too much.

Yes. That is where the Jets want Scheifele long term, but I don't think he will get thrown into that role any time soon. Just like Burmi did last year, he is going to have to put in work and earn his way past Antropov.

I think Burmistrov's very encouraging start to the season might seal Sheifele's fate (though I think the plan has always been to send him back to Barrie).

I just think when you balance player development with winning having Mark stay up isn't a great idea for either.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Because Redmond and Postma are both righties who have no left side experience...
You can't put them both in the roster unless one plays on the second pair. Postma does not have the ability in his own zone to be placed there yet and Redmond will have to prove himself worth-while on the 3rd pair before Noel starts giving him 20 tough minutes.

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL
Even aside from injuries, I think the 13th forward is going to see plenty of games this season because of the compressed schedule. There may be guys that have to rest a game here and there, so the depth is going to be more important than ever. Factoring that in, Mark may just stay up since he hasn't been costing us and since it may be better for his development. Like someone said though, seems like a coin flip right now.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
No, of course not..he is easily the most under appreciated player on this team. I watch him pretty closely and he does a lot of things correctly. Burmi seems to get all the credit for the PK, but Antropov did a lot more in this third game.

He isn't flashy, but he gets things done, I wish what he did was noticed more by the fans, and he was given his due.

I mentioned him in post 126.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html
Kind of a silly website but I do enjoy following it...
Currently WPG has:
50% chance of making the playoffs
2.2% chance of winning the cup

of course this things can swing like crazy as teams play... but as I said, fun to follow... especially this:
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Winnipeg.html
this breaks down chance of us getting in the playoffs depending on our record

I followed it a lot last year too. Gives the odds of making the playoffs based on winning the game that night. Toronto's odds go down to from 52% to 46% if they lose tonight, but almost 59% if they win.

only thing I dont' like is they still use the Thrashers logo!

Libertyhaze

Jan 10, 2013
Vancouver
I would love to see our lines look like this for next game:

kane/jokinen/wheeler
ladd/antropov/little
burmistrov/scheifele/wellwood
ponikarovsky/slater/thorburn
:nod:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Currently WPG has:

of course this things can swing like crazy as teams play... but as I said, fun to follow... especially this:

362nk1.jpg

You had to know it was coming. :D

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Currently WPG has:

I remember at one point last season, Toronto's chance of making the playoffs was 97% or thereabouts, per that website.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Hopes:
Wright stays in, unless he shows down side, he showed speed and smarts(dodges two checks rushing up right side) Welly never showed that.

55 stays in, brings another threat waiting to breakout, and you can sense it; plus the fresh speed in nice.

Clitsome, saw him make a nice hip check, everything else is very last year Jets. (would like to see Redmond)

Hainsey should be told there's a lockout on and there a meeting in NY he has to go to.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Hainsey should be told there's a lockout on and there a meeting in NY he has to go to.

I feel like that comment is more based off what happened during the lockout than his play on the ice. I've been pleased with Hainsey. Playing pretty heavy minutes and for the most part doing his job well. The pairing of Ron and Stu have surpassed my expectations.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I feel like that comment is more based off what happened during the lockout than his play on the ice. I've been pleased with Hainsey. Playing pretty heavy minutes and for the most part doing his job well. The pairing of Ron and Stu have surpassed my expectations.

Basically every post of his includes him in some negative way.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth

I never knew he was the NHLPA "right hand man" until a few days ago, and I didn't care either. He's a key part of one of the worst D in the NHL last year, and it shows, sorry if he's your man.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I like Hainsey and Stuart a lot individually, but I don't think they compliment each other very well for whatever reason.

I'd rather see each of them paired up with one of Postma and Redmond. They could mentor them and show them the ropes.

Until Bogo returns, my ideal defence would be:

Buff - Enstrom
Redmond - Hainsey
Postma - Stuart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad