WTF going on in Windsor

Does Windsor have a chance of being the next Flint?

• Total voters

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
someone post a link to podcast if possible would be a fun listen........thx

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I don't understand why the league doesn't put some strong rules in place to curb nepotism. What's so hard about having a rule that says "Owners/Coaches/Staff can't have family play for their team. It's an immediate forced trade to another team if it happens." That way you get long time owners who are actually part of their community and want long term success instead of these looking for a place for my kid to play types.

Reactions: Helvigster

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I don't understand why the league doesn't put some strong rules in place to curb nepotism. What's so hard about having a rule that says "Owners/Coaches/Staff can't have family play for their team. It's an immediate forced trade to another team if it happens." That way you get long time owners who are actually part of their community and want long term success instead of these looking for a place for my kid to play types.
It's all about money. Melynk bought the right to host a Memorial Cup, didn't even win an OHL championship and fled like a bandit in the night. Andelauer had the Bulls bought and transferred to Hamilton in record time to try and do the same thing. When the league took it one step too far and tried to get money from the City of Hamilton for arena improvements, the plan was nixed for the time being. Now Windsor very well could be the 3rd time an owner with deep pockets has bought a team so his son could play in the league when there isn't a chance he would otherwise. Not to mention Branch's kid landing a GM position in 2 of those places.

This is what happens when someone is allowed to run a league unfettered. Who knows what other shenanigans get swept under the carpet. Like I've said many times, there's a few people making a lot of money from the OHL. People have to remember we're still dealing with kids here, who for the most part are not going to have careers in hockey.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm actually ok with a dad having a kid on his team if he deserves to be there. Nothing any different than Joe and Sons Plumbing - family in business has been around forever. Joe's son serves his apprenticeship and becomes a legit plumber - what is wrong with that? What I don't like is the kid being put in a spot that he is not equal to. Others being pushed aside that are more deserving and all of the fall out that comes from that including pressuring coaches to play them more. It is not a good look for the league or the team when Hockey parents try to impose their will and have the power/ownership to do it. Also using social media to influence opinion is not a good look as well.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
It's all about money. Melynk bought the right to host a Memorial Cup, didn't even win an OHL championship and fled like a bandit in the night. Andelauer had the Bulls bought and transferred to Hamilton in record time to try and do the same thing. When the league took it one step too far and tried to get money from the City of Hamilton for arena improvements, the plan was nixed for the time being. Now Windsor very well could be the 3rd time an owner with deep pockets has bought a team so his son could play in the league when there isn't a chance he would otherwise. Not to mention Branch's kid landing a GM position in 2 of those places.

This is what happens when someone is allowed to run a league unfettered. Who knows what other shenanigans get swept under the carpet. Like I've said many times, there's a few people making a lot of money from the OHL. People have to remember we're still dealing with kids here, who for the most part are not going to have careers in hockey.

I think you kind of missed the point I was making, money in the OHL is a completely different motivation/issue then nepotism. As far as I am aware, neither Melynk nor Andlauer had/have kids in the game.

I can't speak as much to Melynk, as I'm not familiar with the situation, but didn't he own the majors for like a decade before getting out of the OHL? As far Andlauer, it was very clear that he bought the Bulls because Montreal was buying out his stake in the AHL Bulldogs to move their farm to Laval and he wanted to still have a hockey team. Considering he has been involved in ownership in Hamilton (AHL or OHL) for over 17 years, I think that portrait is unfair. It's not like the AHL Bulldogs were some giant money maker.

If you were going to make a point that Simmonds only sold the team because his son left, that to me would be a fair argument to make, which is why I brought up the rule suggestion in question. That way you avoid ownership revolving doors, relocation and situations like Flint and potentially Windsor. Steve Staios explicitly stating that he wants to make sure his kid doesn't play for Hamilton is the perfect example of this. It's not hard to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helvigster and Otto

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I'm actually ok with a dad having a kid on his team if he deserves to be there. Nothing any different than Joe and Sons Plumbing - family in business has been around forever. Joe's son serves his apprenticeship and becomes a legit plumber - what is wrong with that? What I don't like is the kid being put in a spot that he is not equal to. Others being pushed aside that are more deserving and all of the fall out that comes from that including pressuring coaches to play them more. It is not a good look for the league or the team when Hockey parents try to impose their will and have the power/ownership to do it. Also using social media to influence opinion is not a good look as well.

I think the problem is, no matter what you do, the optics of "That kid is only on the team because his dad is there/that kid is only getting ice time and preferred treatment because his dad is there." is unavoidable, and isn't fair to any of the parties involved and it has historically lead to poor optics at minimum for the league. If he's that good, then literally any OHL team would be happy to have him.

Reactions: Helvigster

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Good luck to this campaign, but I am guessing all these emails are in Branch's spam folder.
Having been around big business for years quite likely somebody is screening his e-mails for him. There will be side folders created for his review later and he will read some. It will be the volume of e-mails that will spark interest along with e-mails from know parties. Never think sending an e-mail is not worth the time because doing nothing is worth even less.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Having been around big business for years quite likely somebody is screening his e-mails for him. There will be side folders created for his review later and he will read some. It will be the volume of e-mails that will spark interest along with e-mails from know parties. Never think sending an e-mail is not worth the time because doing nothing is worth even less.

Agreed, and for the record I had e-mailed Mr. Branch previously about something and received a response. For the life of me I can't remember what it was about, but I was impressed that he took the time to read and respond, this was a number of years and at least one e-mail account ago.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
The bottom line is always with the paying customer...........

If you just love the OHL and like what you see keep buying tickets.........

If this whole thing sickens you and your tired of the politics and BS in this league, dont buy...........

Case closed!!!!

Reactions: rangersblues

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
had to chuckle when a tweet from the Cuylles regarding a family owned team/son just left ohl with 0 goals is sent out to the world to see (i agree totally but perhaps a shot at their own team is ill advised) when they dictated where they wanted to land during his draft year...careful what you wish for.......

Reactions: Zebra

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA

Good point, I was being somewhat tongue in cheek, poking some fun at how the league looks.

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Agreed, and for the record I had e-mailed Mr. Branch previously about something and received a response. For the life of me I can't remember what it was about, but I was impressed that he took the time to read and respond, this was a number of years and at least one e-mail account ago.

That's pretty impressive. I've emailed him on 3 occasions and never received any reply. The first was probably 20 years ago and a suggestions on how the league could improve their officiating. Another was about the poor scheduling of the prospect game one year. I can't remember what the third was for but I've never emailed just to complain. I would always complain and offer up my suggestion for improvement.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I think you kind of missed the point I was making, money in the OHL is a completely different motivation/issue then nepotism. As far as I am aware, neither Melynk nor Andlauer had/have kids in the game.

I can't speak as much to Melynk, as I'm not familiar with the situation, but didn't he own the majors for like a decade before getting out of the OHL? As far Andlauer, it was very clear that he bought the Bulls because Montreal was buying out his stake in the AHL Bulldogs to move their farm to Laval and he wanted to still have a hockey team. Considering he has been involved in ownership in Hamilton (AHL or OHL) for over 17 years, I think that portrait is unfair. It's not like the AHL Bulldogs were some giant money maker.

If you were going to make a point that Simmonds only sold the team because his son left, that to me would be a fair argument to make, which is why I brought up the rule suggestion in question. That way you avoid ownership revolving doors, relocation and situations like Flint and potentially Windsor. Steve Staios explicitly stating that he wants to make sure his kid doesn't play for Hamilton is the perfect example of this. It's not hard to do.

Andlauer actually does have a hockey playing son. Irony of ironies, he was a 12th round pick by Windsor in 2013.

Son of Habs owner skates with Spits

After Andlauer Sr. moved the Bulls to Hamilton, I wondered if he would acquire his son via trade and insert him into the Bulldogs lineup.

To his credit, that never happened. His son played Tier II in the OJHL and I don’t recall hearing even a whisper about him in Bulldogs land.

As you point out, same deal with Staios and his son.

Clearly, a lot of integrity in Hamilton. Admirable and needs to be pointed out, given the prevalence of nepotism across the league.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
No, I think the team will be alright. Still drafting the owner's son gives the team a bad look.
As I said earlier. It's not the first time a person bought an OHL team and their sons played on the said team. Some sons have a degree of talent. Some not so much. The CHL allows this to happen regardless of whether it cheapens the brand. If someone makes an owner an offer they can't refuse they grab the cash and run.

Reactions: Sec108

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Ken Burgess purchased the Sudbury wolves in 1988 following a period that the team could not draw 1000 to the games. That is 24 years before Mark Burgess’ boy was drafted.

Reactions: Otto

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I just cant wrap my head around WR or someone in the org. not sitting down the new owner and explaining to him that your kids cant be pickd that high in a draft because it wouldnt look good because of their talent level and the paying fan would balk at this as suspicious and maybe turn on the org. its a bad business decision.But they can be chosen later and still have a shot at making the team.

Maybe they did and this new owner is a hard head.Good luck to the coaching staff if thats the case.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I just cant wrap my head around WR or someone in the org. not sitting down the new owner and explaining to him that your kids cant be pickd that high in a draft because it wouldnt look good because of their talent level and the paying fan would balk at this as suspicious and maybe turn on the org. its a bad business decision.But they can be chosen later and still have a shot at making the team.

Maybe they did and this new owner is a hard head.Good luck to the coaching staff if thats the case.
If a potential owner offers possibly a lot more than the present owners imagined the could get they will turn a blind eye to these issues. Money trumps every thing.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Andlauer actually does have a hockey playing son. Irony of ironies, he was a 12th round pick by Windsor in 2013.

Son of Habs owner skates with Spits

After Andlauer Sr. moved the Bulls to Hamilton, I wondered if he would acquire his son via trade and insert him into the Bulldogs lineup.

To his credit, that never happened. His son played Tier II in the OJHL and I don’t recall hearing even a whisper about him in Bulldogs land.

As you point out, same deal with Staios and his son.

Clearly, a lot of integrity in Hamilton. Admirable and needs to be pointed out, given the prevalence of nepotism across the league.

I legit had no idea that was the case, as you are right. I don't recall even a whisper of this in Hamilton news souces.

As far as Staios, I have been nothing but pleased with him. A consumate professional if ever there was one.

Reactions: BadgerBruce and LR8

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad