WSHL Teams Switch to USPHL

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Regarding the "selling" off of players, how exactly does that work? I assume the players have already given some form of payment to El Paso to play , so when they sell a player to another team, does the player then have to pay the team he was sold to? Are the buying teams margins good enough to "buy" players?

Usually players pay by month or some other periodical payment so they will simply continue making payments just to their new team. The buying teams usually buy players because they need increased quality or quantity so it varies. If the trading team needs another forward line to have a full roster and meet their budget, it is likely worthwhile to pay $5k per player when they are each paying you $8k for the rest of the season. If the team needs primary scoring, it might be worthwhile financially to pay more to the giving team than what the player will pay the receiving team in dues/fees/tuition.

Barclay was fairly accurate, sometimes it is even more egregious and a team with deep pockets just trying to stay afloat player-wise. I have heard some teams receive little to nothing in regard to money from the players they "bought." Merely receiving the player's services for the year and the chance to retain them for last season. When it comes to being able to ice a team or folding, many organizations will bite the bullet and try to hang on. This is hard to track because the teams would trade players on the eve of training camp. Players were never even rostered and there is no public paper trail to follow. Having given thousands of dollars already, the player lacks much recourse other than to report to their new team. Let's not forget that these teenagers usually lack the ability to properly and eloquently stand up for themselves, while also desiring to just play hockey and ignore the rest of things.

El Paso habitually brings 40+ skaters into camp (goalies are a dime a dozen at that level) and culls it down to ~25 skaters to keep and the rest get sold. This happens in many leagues and I do not wish to only single out El Paso/WSHL. Joshua Kirk, '98 born defenseman was traded by the Long Beach Sharks to the Glacier Nationals the day he reported to Long Beach. I can't speak to the money aspect but Stanaway definitely received something for the kid. About a month later, the Sharks sent a goalie and a forward out to Glacier in exchange for another defenseman. In essence, sending 3 players out for one. Don't forget that Stanaway, spent a few years in the WSHL. I want to close by specifying that I have no qualms with Stanaway, nor am I bashing him, he is an extremely talented coach, just pointing out the facts.

CB1

Apr 25, 2020
Interesting! I would imagine it has to feel somewhat traumatizing, to have made a payment to one team (assuming there was some type of agreement to sign) and then show up to training camp and learn you've been traded to another team elsewhere. Can't imagine parents being too happy to start the billet process over as you would want to ensure your kid is in good hands.

Thanks for all the comments!

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Interesting! I would imagine it has to feel somewhat traumatizing, to have made a payment to one team (assuming there was some type of agreement to sign) and then show up to training camp and learn you've been traded to another team elsewhere. Can't imagine parents being too happy to start the billet process over as you would want to ensure your kid is in good hands.

It honestly doesn't affect a player as much as you would think. Most of the time they just want to play, and usually end up being happier on the another team where they are playing more. Billeting is difficult, but most teams have their act together and the transition is not that bad. Going on the depth chart from sixth line forward or fourth string goalie to another team most of the time is a relief.

Reactions: CB1

kij

Jan 31, 2016

I was in a different situation, but as far as trades go, I've been through it. I was in a bad billet with a coaching staff that had double-crossed me. Walked into the GM's office and asked for a trade. When you are in pay to play, in USAHockey, you control your fate. I got to pick my new team and nixed a separate trade. Assimilating into a new team in November isn't easy but it was a much better situation to walk into for me personally. Especially when the team I went to would not block any attempts of mine to move up (former team blocked and badmouthed me to an NAHL team in order to keep me and 2 other skaters on their roster).

Reactions: CB1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad