Post-Game Talk: WSH @ PIT | 2/17/15 | 7PM EST | Caps Win 3-1 (MOD WARNING: POST 657)

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
MJ is TERRIBLE at zone entries that aren't set plays on the PP. At ES or in unstructured play his one move is to try to skate by the defender at the blueline, and then get rubbed out along the boards. When he's on the PP he's in a set spot and gets hit with the pass while support comes in quickly, AND there's a collapsing PK unit in front of him instead of an aggressive defender that's challenging.

Citing PP zone entries for this purpose is like saying Brouwer is the best on the team at shooting from the slot because he does it so much on the PP.

Yup mj is bad on the powerplay. Lots of turnovers and zone clearings with him. I cringe every time he gets the puck. Its like he gets nervous.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Many posters on main boards talking about OV for MVP :P Fun times

I hope he has something left in the tank for June

ryan519*

MJ is TERRIBLE at zone entries that aren't set plays on the PP. At ES or in unstructured play his one move is to try to skate by the defender at the blueline, and then get rubbed out along the boards. When he's on the PP he's in a set spot and gets hit with the pass while support comes in quickly, AND there's a collapsing PK unit in front of him instead of an aggressive defender that's challenging.

Citing PP zone entries for this purpose is like saying Brouwer is the best on the team at shooting from the slot because he does it so much on the PP.

You mean Brouwer fans on the shot in the slot. Wardo should be in there for him on PP1

Ward is actually really good at crashing the net and cleaning up the rebounds in front

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/127520

Understand why Downie wants no more of Michael Latta. Bortuzzo coming out to fight for him was pathetic.

I wouldn't even care about that if Downie didn't later on go after Jack freakin' Hillen off all the guys in the ice. :laugh:

Downie got clocked by Latta the first time and Volpatti put him to hospital the time before that. I can see why he doesn't want to fight another fighter that he knows he can't beat.

ryan519*

It's nice to have guys like that who can rough up the opposition and won't take **** from anyone. This team is not soft by any means

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It's nice to have guys like that who can rough up the opposition and won't take **** from anyone. This team is not soft by any means

A few things on this:

1) BB on the HBO road to the Winter Classic vs Pitt - BB liked Brash but he never really cared for DJ King. At one point in the show he went in a room and said something to the effect of how you don't have to fight for living in the NHL - then qualified it since DJ was in the trainers room along with other player. Over the years the Caps got softer under BB. Part was personnel and part was him.

2) Oates/Erskine Caps Red Line - The followed Erskine around and he mentioned that this coaching staff didnt want him to fight. Oates also buries Wilson even after season is sunk. He tells team not to block shots and do flybys instead of hitting.

3) Trotz on EPIX - singles out Latta for dropping the gloves in front of the team and gives him mad props. Caps are driving thru their checks and finishing each and every one from Joe Hanson to Ovie.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
he was talking to Hendricks who had been concussed by avery bashing his head against the ice. telling him he didn't have to fight all the time, except when you do.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
he was talking to Hendricks who had been concussed by avery bashing his head against the ice. telling him he didn't have to fight all the time, except when you do.

Yes. DJ King was in the training room too and BB qualified what he said and looked at King.

GMGM had a completely different philosophy and BMac does and its VERY obvious.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
It is a thing of beauty. In their minds he is cherry picking and getting handed PPGs.

Reality is he is taking on the oppositions studs head on physically, and more often than not, dominating them.

You'd think he has guys lined up behind him to fight his battles like a Bobby Clarke or Dale, but he largely stands up for himself.

You know what else really drives them bonkers, empty net goals.

How dare he pad his stats.

Yes.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
It's a penalty.

Yeah definitely a penalty, in my eyes.

Basically the way I think about it is that he intentionally did the slashing movement with his stick, and recklessly let it strike his opponent's calf, and it did contribute to Letang falling. Definitely a penalty.

I was just saying it wasn't an attempt to injure. His overall intent was to pop the puck away.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah definitely a penalty, in my eyes.

Basically the way I think about it is that he intentionally did the slashing movement with his stick, and recklessly let it strike his opponent's calf, and it did contribute to Letang falling. Definitely a penalty.

I was just saying it wasn't an attempt to injure. His overall intent was to pop the puck away.

I think Ovi was frustrated, as he had been interfered with coming up ice, a moment before he hacked at Tangs ankle enough to chop him down.

Why sugar coat it, Ovi has been in beast mode taking no prisoners.

I think we are seeing, if you don't piss off Ovi, he is coming after you, especially if you are a big dog. Piss him off, he goes after the next guy unfortunate enough to be in front of him.

He is one Salty Dog these days. :yo:

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Alright. I feel like I should defer to Mr. Holt probably. I feel like he'd know better than me.

But even if he did mean to slash him on the back of the leg, I definitely don't think he meant to actually trip him up and send him flying into the boards.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It was more a slash on the boot, than on the stick or puck, IIRC. Who knows where he was aiming but Ovi has been playing with a chip on his shoulder from the puck drop this year. That little hook was enough to chop down an NHL player proper. That was no dive.

Anything can set him off, but he doesn't even need to be set off. Just wait until someone hits Nick. It's been a while but its on his radar.

Letang kind of reminded me of one of those runway models that can't walk in high heels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad