Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals have re-signed goaltender Ilya Samsonov (1 year, $2M)

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
You’re 0 for 2.

The Caps don’t seem to trust his maturity. His talent is not in question.

I am questioning his talent. I think there's a reason why he was unable to beat out Vanecek, who I'm also not a fan of, for the starter's role last season. And I think there's a reason he's never been the true #1 over a full season for any team he's played for going back to his days in the MHL. We'll see, though. I hope he proves me wrong, obviously, since I'd rather the team have a good goalie than not.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Honestly surprised the Caps would only offer him a 1 year deal. What is their plan for next year if he just plays above average as he has done? That number will still bump up 2-3x.

Setting themselves up to lose a young talented goalie.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I am questioning his talent. I think there's a reason why he was unable to beat out Vanecek, who I'm also not a fan of, for the starter's role last season. And I think there's a reason he's never been the true #1 over a full season for any team he's played for going back to his days in the MHL. We'll see, though. I hope he proves me wrong, obviously, since I'd rather the team have a good goalie than not.
The reason he was never a "true #1" in the MHL is because he kept getting called up to the KHL. The most time he spent in the MHL was in 2014-15, where he shared a roster with Zagidulin, who is 2 years older than Samsonov (a 17/18 year old is rarely going to start over a 19/20 year old in junior hockey).

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm with you. What makes matters worse, Scott Murray is not a good enough goalie coach to help Sammy improve and reach his projected potential. The same for Vanecek, who has limitation compared to Sammy. To still have this tandem, would be better suited for a bottom 10 team that is not making the playoffs. Sammy needs a vet goalie to back him up, but push him. Lundqvist was suppose to be that guy last season, but his heart condition never allowed it. If Lundqvist gets cleared, don't be surprised if he beats out Vanecek in preseason. Yes, Lundqvist could beat out Vanecek, who over achieved. Vanecek is not gonna reach those numbers he put up in his rookie season.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The talent is there, but the question is can Sammy be coached to harness that talent and keep it controlled. Sammy still plays like Bobrovsky in regard to relying too much on reflexes because he's not good on his angles. Visually Sammy can learn from the goalie coach, but will have a challenge fully understanding what the coach says in English, until he learns English and North American concepts. Maybe the goalie coach also needs to speak some good Russian to communicate with Sammy? As a goalie, you have to be able to verbally communicate with your d-men. My concern with Sammy is his mental aspect of the game is terribly lacking to grow into a #1 goalie.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The talent is there, but the question is can Sammy be coached to harness that talent and keep it controlled. Sammy still plays like Bobrovsky in regard to relying too much on reflexes because he's not good on his angles. Visually Sammy can learn from the goalie coach, but will have a challenge fully understanding what the coach says in English, until he learns English and North American concepts. Maybe the goalie coach also needs to speak some good Russian to communicate with Sammy? As a goalie, you have to be able to verbally communicate with your d-men. My concern with Sammy is his mental aspect of the game is terribly lacking to grow into a #1 goalie.
Samsonov speaks English. Not 100% fluently yet and can still get hung up on certain words, but he's at the point where he's done press conferences in English.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Honestly surprised the Caps would only offer him a 1 year deal. What is their plan for next year if he just plays above average as he has done? That number will still bump up 2-3x.

Setting themselves up to lose a young talented goalie.
Whichever one out of Vanecek and Samsonov wins the job is likely who they will run with
They are only paying 2.7m for their G tandem this year, that’s really cheap. They can afford it if they have to pay one of them 5-6m after this year, what they can’t afford is paying Samsonov 4m now and having him fall flat. Then they have an expensive backup AND need to pay a starter. Being so tight on cap, this mitigated risk

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00