Claimed off Waivers: [WSH] Capitals claim Nicolas Aube-Kubel off waivers from the Maple Leafs

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
How many players have the Leafs lost to waivers since Dubas’ tenure began?

2018-19Curtis McElhinney
Calvin Pickard
2019-20Drew Shore
Dmytro Timashov
2020-21Aaron Dell
Jimmy Vesey
Travis Boyd
2021-22Adam Brooks
Michael Amadio
Adam Brooks
Ryan Dzingel
Harri Sateri
2022-23Nicolas Aube-Kubel

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

2018-19Curtis McElhinney
Calvin Pickard
2019-20Drew Shore
Dmytro Timashov
2020-21Aaron Dell
Jimmy Vesey
Travis Boyd
2021-22Adam Brooks
Michael Amadio
Adam Brooks
Ryan Dzingel
Harri Sateri
You’re the man UncleBen.

I have to imagine they’re by far the most claimed from team in this time period as well - just goes to show that maybe it’s not just fans that hold contempt towards the Maple Leafs haha

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016

2018-19Curtis McElhinney
Calvin Pickard
2019-20Drew Shore
Dmytro Timashov
2020-21Aaron Dell
Jimmy Vesey
Travis Boyd
2021-22Adam Brooks
Michael Amadio
Adam Brooks
Ryan Dzingel
Harri Sateri
Thats gotta be the most in that time period out of any team.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
You’re the man UncleBen.

I have to imagine they’re by far the most claimed from team in this time period as well - just goes to show that maybe it’s not just fans that hold contempt towards the Maple Leafs haha

Thats gotta be the most in that time period out of any team.

Toronto has 13.

The next highest is Winnipeg with 7.

The league average, per team, over Dubas's tenure is 3.6...
(3.3 if you remove Toronto and take the average of everyone else. EDIT: though, I guess I didn't factor in that VGK and SEA didn't exist that whole time:dunno: wouldn't change it that much anyway)

Toronto is practically double the next highest team, and over 3 times higher than league average!

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
NAK is nothing special but if he gets the same boost he has last year after the Avs grabbed him from Philly, he could still be a useful 4th liner.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Dubas has a real NAK for losing guys off waivers.
You’re the man UncleBen.

Maybe it shows how sad the average team's pro scouting is. They take players from the team that gets the most media coverage.

Having said that, it's not a shocker that Aube-Kubel would get claimed after having a couple of standout playoff games in Philly, and being on a cup winning team last spring. It's surprising this guy couldn't return a 7th at least.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
physical 4th liner stopgap while the Caps are down with a boatload of injuries

Don't think he'll be in the lineup after Caps get a cpl back from IR, but hey, maybe he does some of that hockey and stays awhile, we'll see

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think NAK can be a successful NHLer if he cuts out the stupid penalties. He looked much better in pre-season than he did in his 6 regular season games.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You’re the man UncleBen.

Could also be that the Leafs tend to collect a lot of slightly desirable fringe/depth guys that other teams wouldn't mind having on their own roster when offered for free.

Or as a component to that, it could also just be that Dubas is really bad at "managing depth" by constantly having waivers eligible guys on the fringes where they can't be shuttled up/down to the Minors easily. Not planning ahead for easily rotated depth.

Lot of ways of a looking at it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Could also be that the Leafs tend to collect a lot of slightly desirable fringe/depth guys that other teams wouldn't mind having on their own roster when offered for free.

Or as a component to that, it could also just be that Dubas is really bad at "managing depth" by constantly having waivers eligible guys on the fringes where they can't be shuttled up/down to the Minors easily. Not planning ahead for easily rotated depth.

Lot of ways of a looking at it.
I think it is more of the former. Also there is like 1(maybe 2) useful players out of all 13 players that have been claimed by us in the last 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad