Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Alex Ovechkin re-signs with the Capitals (5 years, $9.5M AAV)

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
As long as he keeps having Backstrom as his centre, he will break Wayne's record. Should put a play making RW up there and move Wilson down the lineup. Sounds like Kuz is done in Washington.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
WOW Caps don't want to win anymore cups eh?

Here is hoping Ovi goes on a tear to atleast break the goals record. It will be phenomenal if Ovi is able to achieve that

Reactions: johan f

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
The Caps are likely done as premiere contenders, but still could go on a miracle run.
Ovechkin has a real chance at breaking the record.

Yes, it is huge money, but it is worth it from a business point of view. Ovechkin chasing the record will keep people in the stands and buying merch. It is well-worth the 9.5M a year, even if you decrease your chances at another Cup.
This.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Selanne is a first ballot HOFer and took a decent discount to keep the ducks competitive. He might not be on Ovechkin level, but had great production age 35-40.

Selanne age 35-40 380gp 185g 389pts (40g 84pts per 82gp)

He made 2 460 000$ per year on average those years + 1 250 000$ in personal bonuses one year. Now thats a first ballot HOFer taking a discount to make the team better. Ovechkin deal is just ridiculous.

Selanne is a terrible comparison, his career trajectory was extremely volatile. In his last 5 years before he started to take discounts he was ebbing and flowing from being well over 100pts to only around 60. It was really hard to peg what type of season he'd have.

His first discount wasn't really much by choice, it was coming off a horrendous and injury plagued year in COL where he put up only 32 pts in 76GP. Safe to say that at the time it was considered more of a low risk-high reward contract as it was very much unclear if he was on the steep decline or not. He was coming off of a third knee surgery and I think a lot of people assumed he might just be cooked. From there I'll grant you he took well under market value one year deals, but there was a reason. Any ideas? Buller? Buller? Ah yes... he wanted to win at least one Cup. He wasn't just taking under market deals for shits and gigs, it was to win a Cup. Do you think it's not at all odd that after that Cup he started to sign contracts for more money, including one for $4.5 at the age of 42?

I also think people lose sight of the fact that players purposefully don't take stupidly under market deals on purpose because it legitimately tanks contract negotiations for their peers. NHL contracts and salary arbitration use player comps to gauge "fair price". When you take significantly below market value you hurt your fellow player who might be looking for his first big UFA contract or arbitration pay out.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
You do what you have to in order to keep legends like Ovechkin around. 'Overpaid' for production? Maybe. So what? He's a f***ing legend and will make the Caps twice as much just by being there. He doesn't want to leave and clearly Washington isn't interested in sacrificing him at the altar of cap management...you make it work. That's that.

I'm not expecting much different when it's Geno's turn for his next contract, and I'll be thrilled to have a legend that wants to spend his entire career with my favorite team. Good for OV, good for the Caps, good for the fans.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Ive been around here for a while. People have said Ovechkin is a one dimensional player his entire career. He has been a horribly flawed player his entire career. Many are not sure he is even that good.

Now, there are other people that think he is good. Personally I expect another Richard Trophy this season and you can follow that up with a post about how goals are overrated

When the Capitals based their game, not only around Ovechkin's shot, but also around Kuznetsov's great puck moving, zone entering, set up & goal scoring skills during the 2018 playoffs, the team looked amazing, and could hit on different cylinders, and on different fronts. That's long gone now, for what seems to be a number of reasons. 2006–2010 Ovechkin was a riot of a player, so yes, sometimes players change, due to injury or age or whatever.

Ovechkin still has a great shot, but that's essentially what he is now, a shot, so that's what the Capitals has to build their game around now, basically. A shot, a not much else.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ovie himself decided the term and dollars. He was really nice to not go over $10 million a year. Wait until the owner reads all about Ovie's new contract. He'll be happy too.

Well I'm pretty sure he negotiated his original deal on his own as well as thus one which I wonder how rare that is.

This deal lines up with Backstrom's too, right? I think nick hit the same years but 300k less AAV.

Reactions: robertocarlos

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Selanne is a terrible comparison, his career trajectory was extremely volatile. In his last 5 years before he started to take discounts he was ebbing and flowing from being well over 100pts to only around 60. It was really hard to peg what type of season he'd have.

His first discount wasn't really much by choice, it was coming off a horrendous and injury plagued year in COL where he put up only 32 pts in 76GP. Safe to say that at the time it was considered more of a low risk-high reward contract as it was very much unclear if he was on the steep decline or not. He was coming off of a third knee surgery and I think a lot of people assumed he might just be cooked. From there I'll grant you he took well under market value one year deals, but there was a reason. Any ideas? Buller? Buller? Ah yes... he wanted to win at least one Cup. He wasn't just taking under market deals for shits and gigs, it was to win a Cup. Do you think it's not at all odd that after that Cup he started to sign contracts for more money, including one for $4.5 at the age of 42?

I also think people lose sight of the fact that players purposefully don't take stupidly under market deals on purpose because it legitimately tanks contract negotiations for their peers. NHL contracts and salary arbitration use player comps to gauge "fair price". When you take significantly below market value you hurt your fellow player who might be looking for his first big UFA contract or arbitration pay out.

He won the cup at 36 and scored 48g 94pts. His next three years were 1,5, 2,65, 2,65 million.

edit. also you talk about him signing a 4,5 mil 1 year at 42... he lead the team in scoring at 41(ahead of Perry,Getzlaf,Ryan) and was 8th in the league(only playing 73gp) at 40 so you could say that's a discount too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad