Post-Game Talk: Written in the Stars, a million miles away: Leafs win 4-0. Bernier played okay.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Christmas break. Last game before is sometimes a road hockey game. Glad they won, but not surprised it was a goalies nightmare game. Bernier came through.

I am finding it hard to sit through and watch games on tv live now, I PVR them, watch a little to get the feel of how they are playing, get frustrated and skip through watching only the big plays. This team needs something. Not sure what..., Komarov is missed more than you would think...having said that, Phaneuf played how he should every game. Somebody should whack him every game.

I started doing this last year and it's a great way to get the most out of your time. If the game is going well, skim through the commercials and watch the game, if the Leafs suck, fast-forward to goals. If intermission looks interesting, watch it, otherwise blast forward through the 15 minutes. Awesome way to watch a game tbh. Only spoiler, if a friend calls and tells you how theyre doing or worse, reveal the score.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
That's not a good stat. I just don't get why they refuse to put a little effort into their defensive zone. How many times the forwards are completely blowing the zone after a defenseman gets the puck is astounding.Like tonight, all the forwards on the fourth line blow the zone, the leafs turnover the puck , the stars hit the post and Kadri finds JVR for a breakaway. It's nice that it worked out that way but its not a good formula for winning hockey.

They allow quick, poor quality shots to turn the puck around and head the other way.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
whenever phaneuf gets mad, he suddenly skates a little harder, and plays a little tougher. Whenever I see it, I think about how awesome it is that phaneuf puts a little effort aside each game for the tough times.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
They allow quick, poor quality shots to turn the puck around and head the other way.

Not a good idea to quote the poster whose referring to seguin almost scoring before the rebound being passed to jvr who was behind the Dallas defense. I think I know what your trying to say though, I may not agree entirely but I get it ;)

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Leafs got danced on at certain parts, and they definitely need to work on possession and defense.
It's been like that all season. They give up 40+ shots most nights and if the goalie isn't playing great, they lose but get humiliated at times - Nashville and Philly games. They can't sustain this and this is the same problem as last year albeit with a different player personnel but many of the same pieces leftover.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
It's been like that all season. They give up 40+ shots most nights and if the goalie isn't playing great, they lose but get humiliated at times - Nashville and Philly games. They can't sustain this and this is the same problem as last year albeit with a different player personnel but many of the same pieces leftover.

I think the problem is the coach, for whatever reason Carlyle insists the collapse back in front, I think his idea is fori them to sit back take away the "inside" chances and then pounce like a cat and go up ice the other way. The problem with that logic is that it opens up teams to work their cycle game (which we can't counter too often) and exposes point shots which allow for shots directed on goal, rebound and tip shots... which often increase the goal against total.

If it were me t coach I'd be instructing the players to step up in the neutral zone and point areas to charge at the puck carrier, take time and space away from him so he cant shoot or make a good pass then use said speed to charge up the ice.... Now, of course there's going to be times where there will be some close in shots but thats when you trust your goaltender to do his thing, any rebounds bury the guy in front and get the puck back.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

I'm guessing you didn't even watch the game?

I agree they need to work on systematic defense, but this really wasn't one of those games you are describing. Bernier had a stellar night all around, but this team was way ahead in the game before Dallas actually began to outplay us and push.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dallas looks like a Leafs-like team, so that was a good matchup for them to win. Seguin was buzzing all night, I'm surprised he didn't get at least two. Good for Bernier.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Just stats/facts:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20142015/ES020512.HTM

Stars had 17 giveaways, Leafs 12.

Stars: 43 shots + 26 misses + 17 were blocked: 86
Leafs: 26 shots + 9 misses + 11 were blocked: 46

Bernier was 1st. star.

Yet some still think we out played the Stars.....you have to wonder just what some people watch.....it sure explains some peoples posts!
69 shots at Bernier in a game.. include 3 goal posts. Bernier was outstanding.

The Dallas feed of this game charted the shots and showed it on TV and very few of these shots against were from the perimeter, most very from the slot area and in the prime scoring areas.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Dallas looks like a Leafs-like team, so that was a good matchup for them to win. Seguin was buzzing all night, I'm surprised he didn't get at least two. Good for Bernier.

Thats actually a one livery good point! Dallas IMO is the mirror of the leafs, essentially a one line team who also relies heavily on goaltending to steal games.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Yet some still think we out played the Stars.....you have to wonder just what some people watch.....it sure explains some peoples posts!

The Dallas feed of this game charted the shots and showed it on TV and very few of these shots against were from the perimeter, most very from the slot area and in the prime scoring areas.

I would concede that the stars definitely had great scoring chances. Defensively, the Leafs were pretty bad last night.

With that said, I don't think the Stars outplayed us. They allowed several massive scoring chances. The Leafs had all kinds of great point-blank opportunities.

As bad as our defense was, I'd still say theirs was worse.

Nonetheless, we need to be much better in the defensive end.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Thats actually a one livery good point! Dallas IMO is the mirror of the leafs, essentially a one line team who also relies heavily on goaltending to steal games.

Last night we beat a Leafs team that couldn't outscore their problems.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
5th best goal differential and highest scoring team in the league before Christmas. I'll take it :nod:

Wish they'd get those shots down though.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I started doing this last year and it's a great way to get the most out of your time. If the game is going well, skim through the commercials and watch the game, if the Leafs suck, fast-forward to goals. If intermission looks interesting, watch it, otherwise blast forward through the 15 minutes. Awesome way to watch a game tbh. Only spoiler, if a friend calls and tells you how theyre doing or worse, reveal the score.

That sounds like the absolute worst way to watch a game. Sports should never be w
PVR'd

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Eerily similar to last year's team. 29th in shots against and winning by goaltending almost all nights.

Let's just say I am not getting my hopes up.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

Despite #3 press conference the Leafs were woeful in their own end again. #91 had at least eight great scoring chances by himself. Franson and #3 were primarily responsible for shutting #91 down, yet numerous scoring chances were available to him. Like you said Bernier was the only reason the Leafs won that game.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Despite #3 press conference the Leafs were woeful in their own end again. #91 had at least eight great scoring chances by himself. Franson and #3 were primarily responsible for shutting #91 down, yet numerous scoring chances were available to him. Like you said Bernier was the only reason the Leafs won that game.

Seguin must love playing us (except for Bernier).
Sometimes, our D are crumb, I thought they were ok last night and our forwards were not helping a bit. Bozak must have had a coaching session, at least he was trying to guard somebody instead of just watching the show. The "Kessel flyby" is really gaining momentum, he used to try defensively, he's not even interested any longer. Clarkson in the D-zone, help me, help me please. Lupul, ugh. The amount of odd-man situations coming in on our beseiged defense, just ludicrous. The whole defensive "system" is a mess.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Seguin must love playing us (except for Bernier).
Sometimes, our D are crumb, I thought they were ok last night and our forwards were not helping a bit. Bozak must have had a coaching session, at least he was trying to guard somebody instead of just watching the show. The "Kessel flyby" is really gaining momentum, he used to try defensively, he's not even interested any longer. Clarkson in the D-zone, help me, help me please. Lupul, ugh. The amount of odd-man situations coming in on our beseiged defense, just ludicrous. The whole defensive "system" is a mess.

You hit it on the head. It's a combo of our system and just not having enough individuals who care enough to actually play in their own end. Lupul and Kessel have to be the worst 2 d-zone efficient players in the league. Lupul especially is a disaster in his own end.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
You hit it on the head. It's a combo of our system and just not having enough individuals who care enough to actually play in their own end. Lupul and Kessel have to be the worst 2 d-zone efficient players in the league. Lupul especially is a disaster in his own end.

I'm wondering what happened to the "pressure the puck on the offensive side of the red line" tactic. They'd get a good cycle, the D would move up in the neutral zone and engage right away. It looked great when it worked. Missing Leo? Unsustainable tactic for this group? Who knows, but we're back to being on our heels and letting them come at us in waves.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
What is up with Stars fans? They are trying to act like we are long time rivals. They know they have literally no defense right? Yet they firmly believe they are better than us. Cute. Was an easy win from a weak team.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
What is up with Stars fans? They are trying to act like we are long time rivals. They know they have literally no defense right? Yet they firmly believe they are better than us. Cute. Was an easy win from a weak team.

I forget the stars exist until they play each other. They're a dreadful team. All the media hype made you believe they were going to dominate the west. Garbage franchise. Shame it can't be moved to ontario or quebec. At least we're not stars fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad