News Article: Write-up on Roy's System

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Horrible read, although I stopped right at where it says the roster mainly talking about the D is very much the same.

It's not the same whatsoever, even though on paper it still doesn't look like a strong d-core, it is a different d-core.

People who write this stuff are naive enough to not realize that getting rid of Zanon, Hunwick(who led the Avs d in ice time LOL) O'Byrne and O'Brien changed the Avs D and it is not the same d- core what so ever.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This sentence was enough to discount the entire article?

behind largely the same defensive unit

I agree it is annoying that people don't realize the Avs are starting 3-4 new defensemen (depending if you want to count Wilson or not). But considering the point of the entire article was the new systems and the effectiveness of them its a bit of a moot point.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Perhaps i should of read the whole thing, but i stopped where i stopped thinking it's another nonsense right when i reached that sentence.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Horrible read, although I stopped right at where it says the roster mainly talking about the D is very much the same.

It's not the same whatsoever, even though on paper it still doesn't look like a strong d-core, it is a different d-core.

People who write this stuff are naive enough to not realize that getting rid of Zanon, Hunwick(who led the Avs d in ice time LOL) O'Byrne and O'Brien changed the Avs D and it is not the same d- core what so ever.

That point was off but his theme is true, a new day is here under a new leader.

Pual Statsny

Overpaid, overrated
Jul 22, 2010
Awesometown
To address the "largely the same D core" point: first, it's tertiary to a well diagrammed article. Second, it is largely the same D core in that we have three to five players who are our D core and they are intact: Erik Johnson, Jan Hejda, Ty Barrie, Ryan Wilson, and Stefan Elliott. Otherwise, Benoit was brought in to be Hunwick with better decision making, Sarich was brought in to be O'Byrne, and Guenin was brought in to be O'Brien with better decision making. Saying "largely the same D core" is not far off point.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
To address the "largely the same D core" point: first, it's tertiary to a well diagrammed article. Second, it is largely the same D core in that we have three to five players who are our D core and they are intact: Erik Johnson, Jan Hejda, Ty Barrie, Ryan Wilson, and Stefan Elliott. Otherwise, Benoit was brought in to be Hunwick with better decision making, Sarich was brought in to be O'Byrne, and Guenin was brought in to be O'Brien with better decision making. Saying "largely the same D core" is not far off point.

Just a note, but Stefan Elliott is in Lake Erie behind 8 or 9 defensemen on the depth chart, and Tyson Barrie has played 2 games this year. Benoit and Sarich are 3rd and 4th in ice-time for Avs defenders.

Pual Statsny

Overpaid, overrated
Jul 22, 2010
Awesometown
Just a note, but Stefan Elliott is in Lake Erie behind 8 or 9 defensemen on the depth chart, and Tyson Barrie has played 2 games this year. Benoit and Sarich are 3rd and 4th in ice-time for Avs defenders.

I understand that, but that doesn't change the fact that they're part of the core/team's plans moving forward.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Well the article might be a good read but it is kind of misleading. It suggests that Roy would of done the same with the last years d-core because he said they are doing it with largely same D. While Roy has indeed done an excellent job so far, I don't think Avs would be 10-1 with Zanon,Hunwick and O'Brien. With Roy pulling off magic they'd probably be like 5-6 or 4-7.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well it's an interesting question how much do you credit Roy's system and how much do you credit getting rid of the deadweight? Considering the new defensive players were not considered any sort of upgrade on paper I'm inclined to lean more towards the system or at least Roy maximizing their skill set but no doubt they are contributing on their own merit.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Well it's an interesting question how much do you credit Roy's system and how much do you credit getting rid of the deadweight? Considering the new defensive players were not considered any sort of upgrade on paper I'm inclined to lean more towards the system or at least Roy maximizing their skill set but no doubt they are contributing on their own merit.

I credit Roy's system alot, but I also think Benoit, Guenin and even Sarich are smarter and better d-men than Zanon, Hunwick and O'Brien.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Great article, thanks for posting. Didn't think I could hate Sacco any more than I already did. Wrong. Thank god we got Roy to come and coach. And by "thank god" I mean Joe Sakic.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I credit Roy's system alot, but I also think Benoit, Guenin and even Sarich are smarter and better d-men than Zanon, Hunwick and O'Brien.

Right. :rolleyes:

Sarich was written off by the Flames last season and often a healthy scratch, Benoît and Guenin are essentially journeymen finally getting a chance (because ROY selected them and signed them) let's not act like these guys are all-stars coming to our team. Hunwick, Zanon and SoB are all NHL veterans that had been employed by various teams for years.

Put it this way, if on May 1st, 2013 I would have asked you who you'd rather have on the Avs : Hunwick, Zanon and SoB OR Sarich, Benoît or Guenin, you would kept our 3 former Avs without hesitation and if you say any different you're a bald face liar.

The actual point in all this, is less about personel and more about the use of those players. Sacco was playing depth d-man top minutes and somehow expecting them to perform all the while leaving the rest of the team scratching their heads wondering why the **** Zanon was playing more than EJ.

If Roy still had Hunwick, Zanon and SoB instead our new guys, he'd still do better than Sacco because he recognizes who his best players are and plays them accordingly. If Sacco was still coach, Hunwick and Sarich would be playing 28 minutes per night and Guenin would likely be in the AHL.

I love how the "it's not the coach that's the problem" crowd still can't see things for what they truly are even when all the evidence we've seen so far points directly at Roy taking over this team and making them believe in themselves again. This isn't Roy having more to work with, this is Roy NOT being a complete and utter incompetent moron like Joe Sacco was as our head coach. (thanks for MacKinnon though, Joe) :laugh:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Sarich was written off by the Flames last season and often a healthy scratch, Benoît and Guenin are essentially journeymen finally getting a chance (because ROY selected them and signed them) let's not act like these guys are all-stars coming to our team. Hunwick, Zanon and SoB are all NHL veterans that had been employed by various teams for years.

Put it this way, if on May 1st, 2013 I would have asked you who you'd rather have on the Avs : Hunwick, Zanon and SoB OR Sarich, Benoît or Guenin, you would kept our 3 former Avs without hesitation and if you say any different you're a bald face liar.

The actual point in all this, is less about personel and more about the use of those players. Sacco was playing depth d-man top minutes and somehow expecting them to perform all the while leaving the rest of the team scratching their heads wondering why the **** Zanon was playing more than EJ.

If Roy still had Hunwick, Zanon and SoB instead our new guys, he'd still do better than Sacco because he recognizes who his best players are and plays them accordingly. If Sacco was still coach, Hunwick and Sarich would be playing 28 minutes per night and Guenin would likely be in the AHL.

I love how the "it's not the coach that's the problem" crowd still can't see things for what they truly are even when all the evidence we've seen so far points directly at Roy taking over this team and making them believe in themselves again. This isn't Roy having more to work with, this is Roy NOT being a complete and utter incompetent moron like Joe Sacco was as our head coach. (thanks for MacKinnon though, Joe) :laugh:

I would've went with the latter even before the season started, considering we still had Wilson, EJ, Barrie, Hejda, and some hopes for Elliot making the team. I watched over 20 Sens games last year and saw Benoit was good in his limited role.

I would've considered Sarich/Guenin scratches the same way 2 of Hunwick, Zanon, and SOB were all scratches.

member 116861

Nope, I would have went with the later 3.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
I believe the point being made is that the two groups are not significantly different. Different, but not nearly as much as having a coach who recognizes what he's got and implementing a better system around it. Though if the rumors about SOB were true, then letting him go had a bigger benefit to the team.

Relaxedriley

Slightly Sober
Mar 1, 2012
Oregon
Everyone raise your hands who thought we were significantly better this season defensively (as much better as we now believe.). Congrats...you are almost entirely liars. We are not overachieving because zannon is gone, it is mostly due to the system/buyin. Roy has more to do with results than Guennin.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I disagree.

Just Benoit himself has made a big difference on the Avs blue line. He is way better than Zanon, O'Brien, Hunwick.

Guenin perhaps has been the biggest pleasant surprise on the blue line, and Sarich makes the game look simple by making simple and safe plays out there. Both this guys also have been upgrades over Zanon, O'Brien, Hunwick.

I kind of doubt Zanon, O'Brien, Hunwick could do the same even under Roy because they are simply not good hockey players in the NHL level that's why two of them don't have jobs right now in the NHL.

As for O'Brien, i watched the Flames the other day and they got scored on because of O'Brien being O'Brien, doing too much and losing his coverage in the d zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad