Wrists shots always sailing toon high...

Kathryn Tappen

yeah whatever ****
Jun 17, 2013
My wrist shots often sail over the net. Why? I am 5'6 140 pounds and play with a p92 curve and 77 flex. I try to have the puck right in the middle of my curve when I shoot. Is this wrong?

When I watch on TV it seems like guys put so much pressure on their sticks when they want a hard wrist shot but whenever I do, I just shoot the puck towards ceiling and look like an idiot

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
That curve and toe are pretty aggressive; it may not be the cause but it is surely not helping. If you can, try a P88 and see how drastic the difference is.

I'd guess you point high on the follow-through? Try pointing to about the middle of the net's height when you shoot and see if that helps.

Kathryn Tappen

yeah whatever ****
Jun 17, 2013
I'd guess you point high on the follow-through? Try pointing to about the middle of the net's height when you shoot and see if that helps.

That makes sense. I never considered how high my stick is pointing throughout the movement. Its tough to imagine it when I'm sitting at the computer but I'll try to keep that in mind.

I guess even if I had a higher flex (one that is probably too high for my stature), my shots would still sail high if I was pointing too high? because that would explain it as I have the same issue with an 87 flex.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
If you could post a video of you shooting, it'd be easy-to-use tell for sure. I wouldn't suspect flex as a culprit unless you were using an intermediate and even then you'd have to have an odd technique for it to fling the puck upwards on its own.

Do you happen to snap your lower hand upon release? If so you might be catching the puck at the toe and giving it extra air. There's a way to do that and a way to end up more along the lines of "flicking" it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
That curve and toe are pretty aggressive; it may not be the cause but it is surely not helping. If you can, try a P88 and see how drastic the difference is.

Funny how two people might perceive a curve differently. For you the P92 is an aggressive toe curve. Using P28's and P08's for the past few years, it looks like a mild mid curve to me. P88 looks nearly flat, and the PM9 appears to be completely straight.

I second your answer to OP. It's probably an issue with the follow through and not the stick itself. If I want to shoot a hard wrist shot low, I just lean forward as much as possible on my stick and it does the rest.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
It sounds like you're keeping your blade open on the follow through. That can lead to the puck sailing a little high or something more dramatic like the puck sailing into the rafters.

The latter is because when your blade is open, it can get under the puck and scoop it.

When you see NHL players putting that pressure on the stick, it's because that's how they generate power. They flex the stick like a bow, and when it releases the puck is like the arrow that gets shot out.

Here's a video of Phil Kessel taking a off foot wrister. Notice the flex on his stick and his follow through. They say he uses a 70 flex stick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1HUUJxZtJU

77flex is probably a little much for you. For example I'm 5'5 180 and I use a 50 flex stick. I'm at the extreme end of things so take this with a grain. But I can adjust to shooting with any flex, so IMHO flex probably isn't the issue here, it's technique.

Here's a nice video that takes you through the basics, so you can see if there's anything that you're doing different. Otherwise, as others have suggested, post a video of you shooting. It'll make it easier to give more accurate advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqYx_FYiAAg

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
True, the P92 isn't he most aggressive but it's much moreso than the P88, P14 (I think that's the one), etc. For someone not familiar enough to figure out why his shots are going high, I'd bet he wouldn't have that problem switching to a P88.

Of course, he could also learn to control it, which is why I asked where he's pointing his stick on the follow-through.

I used to play with a P92 and similar curve and thought it was average until I began playing and got used to a P88. When I went back to a P92 it felt ridiculous because I'd become so accustomed to the flatter blade and using my hands differently to get height on my shots. FWIW I'm back to loving the P92 right now on my current stick and don't like the P88 at all :laugh: Funny how it goes in waves like that.

knobdy

Dec 1, 2014
Without seeing a video of you shooting I'd bet you shoot with your hands close to the body. Trying pushing your hands away from your body more and shooting at full extension a few times.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
My without a video to coach by question is "are you turning your stick over on the follow through and pointing at the target?"

This!

Sure flex and curve can help but you are cheating yourself from learning a proper technique. No matter what curve you are using you need to be able to control your shot, so technique is key.

This situation sounds to me like you are either shooting with the puck to far in front of you causing the blade face to open to much or you are not rolling your wrists on the follow through (or both).

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I was praticing today and had an 'Ah ha" moment.
Ususally I wrist the puck high and sometime over the net when i really close to the net inside the face off circle, off my back foot.
When Im furhter back then I will "snap" my wrist...so it feels like a "snapper" rather than a "wrister" if that make any sense, and weight is transfer forward so Im off the lead foot, My shots travel faster with more power however I end up hitting the bar a lot of times.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
imo you aren't transferring your weight and shooting off your back foot which is why your shots are sailing

deeman

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
Just to chime in.....as with many sports (bowling, archery, corn hole, etc) where your hands up after the release is generally where the object is going. This tid bit has served me well on many hand sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad