wrist strength

CoutseysCorner92

Jul 19, 2010
Do those of you that workout make it a point to do an exercise or 2 for your wrists? My wrist shot has been feeling weak recently (4th time on the ice since my season ended in March).

I know the rope with the weight attached is popular, but are there any other exercises you would recommend? Or do you think repetitive shooting will be enough to gain my strength back?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Over a year ago I promised myself I would get stronger and I have, mostly from practicing with an orange 10oz puck, focusing on my wrists while toe dragging each direction. I just looked at a 2lb steel puck and totally have to have it. I am wondering if anyone has tried that and what they felt.

There is a great video of the "Datsyuk" method of taping weights on the shaft of your stick and stickhandling. Something else I've been wanting to do.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Over a year ago I promised myself I would get stronger and I have, mostly from practicing with an orange 10oz puck, focusing on my wrists while toe dragging each direction. I just looked at a 2lb steel puck and totally have to have it. I am wondering if anyone has tried that and what they felt.

There is a great video of the "Datsyuk" method of taping weights on the shaft of your stick and stickhandling. Something else I've been wanting to do.

The easiest of this would probably be to tape two pucks to the lower shaft area where it meets the blade. Adds the necessary weight and is pretty simple.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The easiest of this would probably be to tape two pucks to the lower shaft area where it meets the blade. Adds the necessary weight and is pretty simple.

True, Jeremy at howtohockey.com also shows how to set this up, I need to pick up a dumbell with a large enough opening and get on it instead of just talking about it. It reminds me of martial arts training, very crude but effective.

TUCKER 06

May 22, 2012

I've done this. Start with just two pucks taped to the shaft of your practice stick. It adds enough weight without having to add the extra dumbell plate, trust me. He was right when he said it makes your game stick feel way lighter after you've been using a weighted practice stick throughout the week. Unfortunately, it started hurting my wrists so I use it sparingly but it still helps build strength.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
My favorite exercise for wrists is a grip strength exercise. You take one of the small towels they usually have available at gyms, and wind it tight (kinda like you would if you were gonna whip someone with a towel). Then you loop it under a dumbbell on the ground with the tips of the towel facing up so you can grab them. Grab the 2 ends of the towel in the palm of your hand, and lift up the weight with the towel... and just hold for as long as you can. I do this with 45 or 50 lb dumbbells, and it's damn hard after about 20 seconds.

JJ Johnson

Jun 7, 2012
wrist strengthening...

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the message board! Just from what I see this is an awesome collaboration of minds, you guys rock! :)

Regarding the question about wrist strengthening - generally speaking, it's usually not a good idea to try and precisely replicate a "skill movement" like stickhandling in the weight room... or, in other words, trying to stickhandle with a very heavy puck/resistance is not a great idea - sure, you'll feel a "burning" in your forearm musculature, but you're going to be teaching your system to get used to slow(er) movements with your stickhandling (as the heavy weight will slow your hands down)... stickhandling is all about fast/quick movements, which is more a function of your nervous system then it is "big muscles of the forearm"... does that make sense?

Of course, there's a place for strong forearms in hockey - those can get well developed in the weight room by any compound exercise you're doing (i.e. Deadlifts, Chin Ups, Bench Presses, Farmers Walks, etc...) that requires great "grip strength" - that's a really heavy weight your hands will have to get used to, and it will stimulate growth in your forearm muscles for sure, but it won't be confusing your body into developing "slow stickhandling hands" because of the "heavy puck effect" described above.

As you're developing those forearm muscles in the weight room, trying to get on the ice once a week in the summer is a great idea too - as you'll be teaching that new muscle to still be explosive, and have the soft skill touch needed for puckhandling, passing, shooting, etc...

Hope that helps! Take care guys...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad