Wrist sprain - how soon should I get back on ice?

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
Sprained my wrist in a public skate (no padding) last Thursday (practicing stops and lost my feet from under me, landing heavily). I've not been skating since as it's been sore and fragile feeling.

How soon should I get back on the ice?

I know it's a YMMV question but anyone got any similar experiences?

I need to 'get back on the horse' soon as I'm pretty fed up at missing skating.

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
Wrists are kinda my weakspot, I always seem to have some problems with them. I usually just play through any pain. If you're really concerned you should go to get an x-ray, but if it just hurts but nothing serious you can play. If you need a little protection when falling down you can get those wrist protectors, but then you'll need a bigger size of gloves.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
get those elastic type wraps from a drug store. I played 2 seasons wearing one and it felt fine during games.

Vuronov

May 17, 2011
I sprained my wrist on a face-off against a guy who thought he would try to chop my stick in two pulling my wrist back pretty hard. I didn't stop playing after that, but did go and buy a Shock Doctor wrist guard, the 824 model, and wore it whenever I played. It was a bit of a pain to get it to fit into my tapered gloves, but definitely made a difference in keeping me from tweaking my wrist during stick handling and shooting.

Unfortunately, I pretty much never wore it outside of hockey, and would keep tweaking my wrist daily just doing normal things that would bend my wrist a little bit. Consequently, it took me almost 6 months to reach a point where it wouldn't get tweaked from daily activities and I could stop wearing the wrist guard completely.

I'd say buy a good sports wrist guard, wear it ALL THE TIME, and do what you normally do that doesn't specifically put pressure on the wrist (like pushups or something). If it doesn't improve a lot in a month or so, go see someone.

Jive Time

Jul 24, 2009
Hurt my right wrist last summer and I've been fighting it ever since. For the first month I wore the smallest wrist guard I could find (one with a metal bar). That allowed me to play but it definitely comes at the expense of stick handling. There is no way I could play without it. One problem is that it stretched out my right glove so I picked up some new ones that provided really good support at the wrist for when I would fall.

Now I just use stick tape and wrap it around about 3-4 times around the wrist and it seems to work pretty good. Like others have said, I am really careful during the day not to screw it up while I'm not on the ice. I should probably do some strengthening exercises too but I've been kind of lazy about that...

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
I'm still wearing the wrist brace I got from the hospital during daily activities when I think I might ding my wrist. When just working at the PC and round the house I take it off to help get some strength back via light duties.

Gonna skate in the morning with my wrists guarded. The idea of going over on it again makes me feel sick, but I guess the chances are minimal and at least I'll be guarded up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad