Wrist shot help

IronWolf

Sep 13, 2006
Hey All,
I used to play hockey a lot, and just last year started playing again. I first bought a Bauer one40 gagne curve, and then bought a One50 lindros curve after that. Now I have been using the Lindros more, because I liked it a little better, and the reason I dropped the gagne is that I noticed my wrist shots would flutter.
edit: By flutter I mean it wobbles, or sometimes the puck will hit the boards on the faces of the puck, not the sides.

I get the puck higher with the gagner (crossbar vs. knee height) on most shots, but I notice when I try and step into a wrist shot with either stick, the puck tends to flutter a lot. It's almost like as I am releasing it the puck is not releasing smoothly. I am a shorter guy, so I had to cut the sticks to be around 100-105 flex.

Is this a stiffness issue, or am I just not remembering to take these shots right? I used to have a solid wrister in the past. My snap/slap shots seem to be ok though. I was thinking maybe the release point on these sticks is different?

Thanks!

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Just practice a lot. Go to a rink (ice or roller), heck do it in your driveway if you must. Get a puck and just rip shots all day. Then just try to adjust your shooting technique until you find what works.

Practice makes perfect :teach:

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I'd love to help you, but shooting is the weakest aspect of my game.

All I can recommend is practice. You might also want to invest some time in strengthening your shoulders/back muscles, and your tricep/forearm/wrist muscles. All of these will be in play during a wrist shot.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Just practice a lot. Go to a rink (ice or roller), heck do it in your driveway if you must. Get a puck and just rip shots all day. Then just try to adjust your shooting technique until you find what works.

Practice makes perfect :teach:

If you wanna ruin your stick do that. I've done that mistake. Your driveway is like sandpaper. Before you know it the bottom of your stick is filed down.

The Lollipop King

4th Line = all heart
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
You should be turning the blade over when your release the puck, when your shooting you should kind of angle the blade over the puck, then mid way through the shot you should try to get under the puck, and then when you release you go over the puck again.

When I went to shooting school as a kid they'd make me say Under Over Under as I shot so I would use the proper technique. Do some wrist exercises as well, I made myself a pole with some rope tied around it and on the other hanging end I attached a 5 pound weight and I just wind it up with out stretched arms. I have a pretty sick and accurate wrist shot now, but nothing beats a snap shot.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Check out HockeyShot.com, there's free videos and diagrams.

The two things you'd probably want to focus on is rolling the puck from heel to toe during the wind-up and turning the blade over as you release. I still can't do a proper wrist shot while moving in a game situation though...usually more of a snap shot kind of guy.

krax

Jul 25, 2007
Some blades do not like the puck going from heel to toe. Try to release the puck somewhere in the middle of the blade or even earlier. Try to vary this factor if your wrister is ok with another stick.

IronWolf

Sep 13, 2006
ok awesome thanks for the help! I'll check out the videos and see about some strength exercises.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Remember to practice fundamentals rather than "what just works".

Learn what your body movements SHOULD be, and then don't settle on a decent wrist shot until you are doing all those movements.

Shift your weight from your back leg to your front.
Snap your wrists.
Spin the puck and release it from the toe of the blade.
Put your weight behind it to create flex (power)... etc..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad