Wrist pain

jwilliams

May 27, 2010
Austin, Tx
So I played inline hockey for quite some time when I was younger. I just started making the transition to ice about a month ago. During the past month I've been going to stick and puck 2-3 times a week. Just the last few times I've gone, my right wrist has started to hurt pretty badly. I'm wondering if this is normal when you first start playing on ice and if any of you have experienced this before. I've let it rest for about a week and I'm hoping that it will slowly start to go away as I continue to play.

Any insight?

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
It happens. Just torquing your wrists puts alot of stress on them if they arent used to being used as hard. Suck it up Sally!

BadHammy*

The only cure is smashing your wrist with a brick. That's foolproof!

Muttley*

So I played inline hockey for quite some time when I was younger. I just started making the transition to ice about a month ago. During the past month I've been going to stick and puck 2-3 times a week. Just the last few times I've gone, my right wrist has started to hurt pretty badly. I'm wondering if this is normal when you first start playing on ice and if any of you have experienced this before. I've let it rest for about a week and I'm hoping that it will slowly start to go away as I continue to play.

Any insight?

How old are you now? ;)

This might have something to do with the wrist pain.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
OK, so this might sound really strange and may not work at all. Try strengthening your total arms and your upper/mid back. If I grab something the wrong way using mainly jsut my lower arm I can get a shooting pain that moves from my writs all the way up to my shoulder blade. When I focus on my posture and using the right muscles to grab something the pain goes away.

jwilliams

May 27, 2010
Austin, Tx
How old are you now? ;)

This might have something to do with the wrist pain.

I'm only 24. I've been super active since I was a kid. Played all kinds of sports growing up. I really do think it's just a new motion that my wrists are not used to and I'll just have to strengthen them and get them used to it.

CuteHockeyBunny

May 25, 2009
Montreal
Happened to me when I was practicing slapshots for a few hours. It's been 3 months and the pain is still there. Go see a doctor if your wrist mobility is impeded after a week.

jwilliams

May 27, 2010
Austin, Tx
Happened to me when I was practicing slapshots for a few hours. It's been 3 months and the pain is still there. Go see a doctor if your wrist mobility is impeded after a week.

The pain is only there while I'm playing and for maybe 2 hours afterwards. If I ice it and take a few asprin it goes away pretty quickly.

TheHMan

Feb 2, 2008
Montreal
You might want to try Ibuprofen instead of Tylenol. Tylenol is pretty effective for removing general pain, but Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory as well and it can help with joint pain and any other muscle aches you might get along the way. I found it's better for me anyway, and I used it when I had Shin Splints.

I'd also do some range of motion exercises with the wrists and make sure you stretch them (don't overdo it though). Given the fact that your pain goes away, it could be just weakness and inflammation that's caused by an activity you're not used to. If it's something that you're constantly tweaking and won't go away after a week of rest then it could be an actual injury.

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves
You might want to try Ibuprofen instead of Tylenol. Tylenol is pretty effective for removing general pain, but Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory as well and it can help with joint pain and any other muscle aches you might get along the way. I found it's better for me anyway, and I used it when I had Shin Splints.

I'd also do some range of motion exercises with the wrists and make sure you stretch them (don't overdo it though). Given the fact that your pain goes away, it could be just weakness and inflammation that's caused by an activity you're not used to. If it's something that you're constantly tweaking and won't go away after a week of rest then it could be an actual injury.

Don't they have any Gel's for joint and muscle pain? In Finland we've got "Mobilat" which is pretty damn effective for all kinds of joints, for example wristpain.

miten_tupla.gif

BadHammy*

It's nothing. Your ligaments and tendons are stretching out. It'll be fine in the future, just stretch it out before playing, and use ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad