Who is your 1st overall pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
1654381743420.png

The combine is over.
All the informations that can be gather is on the table.
From what we know, dinner, interviews and general consensus, there's really seems to have only three in the race to be the 1st overall.

Shane Wright
1654382028791.png

Juraj Slafkvosky
1654381966581.png

Logan Cooley
1654381868250.png

There's no more hockey left to play before the the draft so it's time to make the final decision.

Last edited:

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
God this is so hard.

If I'm being very honest, and I'm scared to even say this, but I'm a bit worried with Wright's compete level.... and that flowed into the testing and his answers on the testing.

Cooley had great answers and his testing backed that up, but the US program focuses more on weight lifting, etc.

But Wright took 1 year off... did he not focus on working out?

Idk.

And then Slafkovsky, who could be a literal beast in the NHL.....

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Slafkovsky and you bring back Slovakian teammate Tomas Tatar to MTL ... ;)

Reactions: 26Mats

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Wright for sure but I'd let go Petry + 26oa + 33oa + throw in Armia/other for the 2nd to get Slaf. That body type, we'd have our own Wilson which is extremely rare.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
Wright for sure but I'd let go Petry + 26oa + 33oa + throw in Armia/other for the 2nd to get Slaf. That body type, we'd have our own Wilson which is extremely rare.
New Jersey would never take that. Would you take that for 1st overall?

I think Cooley will end up the better player but the habs probably pick Wright if they keep the pick.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm going with Shane Wright and not because I think he's the BPA even if he might be.
Development is paramount and it will come with a ton of pressure to be the 1st overall pick for Montreal.

I think Wright is the one with the best chance to develop well in Montreal.

Wright lived all his life with high expectation, he knows the Canadian market and he's the most fit to understand and to deal with the pressure of Montreal. He received exceptionnal status in the OHL, was almost always the captain of his teams, had been touted as the next 1st overall pick for 2 years......that's a lot of pressure for a kid that age and didn't disappoint.

I think all 3 will become very good players in the NHL.....but I think Wright has the best chances to become very good in this crazy market.

Last edited:

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I'm going with Shane Wright and not because I think he's the BPA even if he might be.
Development is paramount and it will come with a ton of pression to be the 1st overall pick for Montreal.

Wright lived all his life with high expectation, he knows the Canadian market and he's the most fit to understand and to deal with the pressure of Montreal. He received exceptionnal status in the OHL, was almost always the captain of his teams, had been touted as the next 1st overall pick for 2 years......that's a lot of pressure of a kid that age and didn't disappoint.

I think all 3 will become very good players in the NHL.....but I think Wright has the best chances to become very good in this crazy market.

Very good point. I didn't think of it like that.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
I'm voting for Wright because he seems like he's the most NHL ready of the players in the top 5 and he's gonna fill a need at center that we lacked for 25 f***ing years.

I'm tired of projects like Slafkosvky that might not pan out (ala Kotkaniemi)

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Development is paramount and it will come with a ton of pressure to be the 1st overall pick for Montreal.

Wright lived all his life with high expectation, he knows the Canadian market and he's the most fit to understand and to deal with the pressure of Montreal. He received exceptionnal status in the OHL, was almost always the captain of his teams, had been touted as the next 1st overall pick for 2 years......that's a lot of pressure for a kid that age and didn't disappoint.

Very well said.

I also take Wright, without question.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
*Posted already in combine thread but perhaps here is better:

Non data driven gut feelings:

Slaf
:
Great energy.
Has best personality for Montreal market and a 'watch me' attitude.
Perfect complimentary piece if we had the rest already in place.
Will definitely give us moments of regret for not choosing him.

Cooley:
Most dynamic.
Going to college next year could work out amazing for all parties.
Part of me believes he is the best pick.

Wright:
Best pedigree but can't say this season inspires total confidence.
There is something about his energy that puts me off, like he gets in his own head too much.
Smart, hard worker, skill for days.
I think in the end they will still take him.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
Wright closely followed by Cooley then Slafkovsky.

But despite my preference for Wright, I'm fine with any of these 3 (or Jiricek/Nemec, but it's not happening). Habs are getting a good player and at this point I'm trusting the hockey ops to build an appropriate development plan for whoever they pick. A trust that sure as shit was non-existant under the previous staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad