GDT: Wrestlemania 33 Part 4 and PGT

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
On the topic of AJ/Shane, it actually turned out to be a pretty fun match with the right end result. I obviously wish AJ had a better opponent than the boss' son, but moving on I don't think it matters anymore.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It did slow down but I thought Brock/Goldberg was still pretty good and honestly I liked the main event.

Not an all time great Mania, but it was good. I agreed mostly with Dave's takes.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Makeup for Orton for getting beat up at SS. Wouldn't shock me to see Wyatt getting the title back within 1 month. That match was pretty bad.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm not sure I even want to see Bray tomorrow. Give him a Taker hiatus that he used to do a lot in the 90s and have him come back retooled.

Agreed, his character is in shambles now, he's 0-3 at Mania, looks like an idiot for trusting Orton and maybe lost his powers?? Idk give him a little time off to regroup and a proper angle

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
very interesting writeup of WM33 from someone who never watched pro wrestling

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/3/15...first-time-watching-wrestling-oh-my-good-lord

"I like AJ but im not sure if im supposed to" :)

I loved every bit of that, it's great watching new fans be made. The closing remarks were great. Also loved her write-up for KO/Jericho.

Watching these two wail on each other is heartbreaking; best friend breakups can be just as devastating the end of romantic relationships. This feud is made even worse because Kevin Owens used to revere Chris Jericho when he was little, and would watch Chris Jericho in the ring.

NEVER MEET YOUR HEROES, PEOPLE.

In other news, had I comprehended how much human drama wrestling involves, I would've gotten into WWE way sooner. I can't resist a good narrative. I’m powerless in the face of speculative gossip.

“You don’t have any friends!” Kevin Ownes yells at Chris Jericho. He also yells, "You were never my best friend!" and "You're a piece of trash!"

It’s the meanest heckling I’ve ever heard. I can’t tell if the emotional pain is real (the physical pain definitely is), but the ability to act through all of it and put on a show while your ribs are splintering into a million tiny pieces is astounding regardless.

It's so true - non-fans tend to completely disregard this aspect of what makes wrestling so great.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Lol at one of her tweets - "Wrestlemania has been the longest month of my life". That was a good read.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
The set caught fire after takers farewell. Did not hear about this till now. No one was hurt but the fire had to be contained.

That capped off the errors of production that ravaged the night.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3356214/wwe-wrestlemania-33-stage-catches-fire-after-undertakers-exit/amp/

Considering how ambitious that production was, there were going to be some problems. Personally I think it was one of the most elaborate and amazing productions I've ever seen. WWE was spectacular at creating a spectacle and WM 33 was one of the best I've ever seen.

...the booking not so much. But I'm concentrating on the positives in this post. :D

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Reading reviews, I'm certainly glad I skipped out on this.

Everything going in played out pretty well exactly as expected.

Competent Wrestling, ambitious production, botched story lines, a surprise nostalgia act or two, and terrible booking.

Except for 7 hours.

I'll start back up on SDL tonight.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Reading reviews, I'm certainly glad I skipped out on this.

Everything going in played out pretty well exactly as expected.

Competent Wrestling, ambitious production, botched story lines, a surprise nostalgia act or two, and terrible booking.

Except for 7 hours.

I'll start back up on SDL tonight.

If you didn't watch it, I'd say you could go back and watch it in pieces and would be fine about it. Although anything after the ladder match, make sure you're alert and awake for.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The only thing worth watching after the ladder match is Lesnar/Goldberg and The Undertaker's send off.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'll eventually catch the KO-Owens, and obviously watch the post match undertaker stuff (even that, I missed every bit of mildly peak undertaker), but aside from that, my read is no segment is must-see. I might watch Goldberg-Lesnar cause it's short.

Hardy's entrance was cool as well but I've seen that on youtube.

Super happy Mojo won the Battle Royal though. Ever since he earned his way to enter the RR, and cut a great babyface promo on talking smack, I've been rooting for the guy! And he's friends with Gronk! what more could you want!

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The only thing worth watching after the ladder match is Lesnar/Goldberg and The Undertaker's send off.

I'd say you still have to watch the whole Reigns/Undertaker match, at least I'd feel I owed to myself to see it. But I'd prepare myself for how sad it was it watch unfold. They were just kind of in there doing moves, and some of them not really that well. Reigns doing the spear through the announce table I think will be the only thing I'll remember from the match that was good. Otherwise, Undertaker almost botched a Last Ride, couldn't get a reversal near the corner out of a tombstone, and had to redo the finish because he got in the way while Roman while he was running the ropes, while ultimately made the finish a bit flat. And an exhausted crowd didn't help. But then of course there was a pretty poignant send-off. I don't know, if you don't watch the whole match, it would be like watching a TV series that you stuck with (or, in 2017, caught up on) and then never watching the last episode.

A huge thing that hurt it was there wasn't the build that it should've been. Like, it would be fine if that was at Summerslam or something, but this is Wrestlemania, and it was a watered down and rushed alternate script of Shawn Michaels' retirement. I never really bought the intensity, and the parts that we were sold to be intense seemed too manufactured. This was the freaken Undertaker's last match, the greatest gimmick and character they probably have ever had, based on longevity at least, and everything was done just to have this match to say they had it, not to really get a story over. Cena/Undertaker may have went down that road, but they were setting that up in November before pulling the plug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad