Post-Game Talk: Wrapup : Game 4 CHI @ DET

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I'm also wondering what kind of influence Tom Renny is having. Babcock has been notoriously hard on the kids, but Renny is more of a player's coach and always considered a great guy to work with.

Are we seeing some results from a good cop, bad cop routine? Or has Renny been a calming influence on a roster which appears to have excellent poise, especially when you contrast the Wings with the Ducks and Hawks.

It's kinda hard to know exactly which coach is doing what as a fan but Babcock mentioned Renny getting along with the kid and his PP work so I guess he's the good cop.

As for poise, I think it has to do with our team having so much experience in playoffs. Our current vets learned from guys like Yzerman Lidstrom and too many to list. Same thing's happening now with new guys.

Also Babcock is a pretty composed guy on the bench. I remember he used to be little more animated when he first came here but he's just stone cold now. Still, it's kinda hard to beat Scotty in that area. That guy was a ****ing stone stature. I still remember him in his last moment in 2002 Cup. Players were jumping up and down with joy and he was yelling at everyone one to sit the **** down. literally like couple seconds away from the Cup.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
You just had to quote my post before I could spell his name right. Renney.

But Renney was always, in my view, the wrong place at the wrong time. His New York team was kind of a mishmash disaster of a roster. And he wasn't going to take a young Edmonton anywhere with their defense and goaltending.

Settling in here probably feels good for him, and it's clear how much the Wings organization likes him and Babcock appears to appreciate his lighter touch.

It also makes me wonder if Nill is going to snatch him up for the vacant job in Dallas.

Ninja edit. No one will ever know. :D

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
here's my game 5 improvement idea

1) Wings need to improve their PP. yes they scored last game but still we can all agree that it could get better. First thing Wings should do when they get PP is that they have to be willing to engage and win battle. It's not just the Wings, this happens to all 30 teams. When they are awarded PP, all of sudden they start losing 80% of the battle and the PKers always gets the puck. We've all seen 1 PK winning the puck against 2 or sometimes 3 PP. If they do that maybe they won't be so afraid of PK forechecker and 4 PP guys converge into defend just 1 PK guy like bunch of dumb *****. That's a small moral buster right there.

This kinda applies to defending 1 goal lead in last minute. I've heard all kinds of excuses from different coaches after they lose a game by allowing a tying goal. 'oh maybe we shoulda done this or done that'. NO. that's because your team lost all the battles and gave the puck away to the other team.

2) Still about PP, it has to get more dangerous. It's not just Wings. Right now, PK around the league are doing a very good job. I think part of the solution is quicker movement of the puck. Right now, sometimes I feel that point man wastes too much time thinking about play that's not there. It gives enough time for PK + goalie to adjust and block whatever they are trying to do. Moving the puck fast is not always the best or safest idea but if nothing's there, unless they throw the puck at the net, they should at least try to move the puck quicker (while being safe) or create some motion during PP

3) Last pt about PP, I think Wings could maybe setup one timer set pass play or something to guy in middle or to net front guy. At least that will disrupt PK and create some sort of chaos. Even if they pull it once in a while, it might put some uncertainly into PKer's head and maybe they will react slow or overreact.

4) Hawks will be coming out with more of everything. More desperation, more drive to the net, more skating. They might get little pumped up at the beginning what with their rowdy crowd behind them and everything. I thought Wings did an excellent job in forechecking and made their D really uncomfortable. Wings should keep doing that. But also, we have to win the major battle. The battle of the will. At this point, I think this series is all about winning the puck. Naturally, Hawks have more to give tomorrow as it's their do or die game and it's their home game. Plus they are quicker so they can get to dump ins and loose puck faster. However, Wings have to dig deep and impose their will on these elite BlackHawks. They can not let Blackhawks impose their will on them. How do we do this? Getting momentum in anyways helps. Winning a small puck battle, forechecking duncan keith or making a nice skill play. If Wings start losing these battles, soon or later, the flood gate will open and it will get very very difficult to close it back at that point. Especially in Chicago. If Wings lose momentum, they have to try hard to get it back right away. Hawks are an elite team and they will inevitably win their share. But Wings can't let them win many consecutively.

5) Hawks had pretty good scoring chances in game 4 while sneaking behind our D. Any of their top 6 guys are capable of doing this and they have speed to make it work. Our D man has to be aware of all time where their man is and who's coming out of the bench during line change.

Last edited:

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I just finally got to watch this one after driving nearly 2000 unplanned miles in the past two days (a small airline screwed up my flight and left me no choice). What a game. It is shocking how mentally fragile this Hawks team looks! It's really quite something to see. If the Wings can just score the first goal tonight...

P.S. Was that a Wendel Clark jersey I caught at the end of the 2nd period?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad