Confirmed Trade: [WPG/WSH] Brenden Dillon for 2022 2nd round pick and 2023 2nd round pick

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Dillon is basically a #4 defenseman on a contender.. 2x 2nd rounders seem like a lot.

From what i saw the Caps last season, i thought Dillon was in trouble quite a bit against the faster teams.

Speed doesn’t really give him a problem - he has good wheels and can turn and go. He just gets overly aggressive and plays himself out of position sometimes. My 2c from a Caps fan anyway.

Jets fans will love him. He plays mean and fast.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Speed doesn’t really give him a problem - he has good wheels and can turn and go. He just gets overly aggressive and plays himself out of position sometimes. My 2c from a Caps fan anyway.

Jets fans will love him. He plays mean and fast.

Yeah, i didn't mean he gets outskated. Basically what you said, when guys are making good plays and things happen quick he seems to be out of position quite a bit. At least that was my observation watching mainly some of the Ranger games.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Dillon is better than Chiarot. Dillon is a top 4 dman IMO

chiarot is not
Well he just played top pair on a Cup run. And has never been out of the top 4 since he came to MTL. And in his last playoffs with the Jets played 20 mins per.

Not much evidence he is anything other then a top 4 other then the feels.

Dillon played 17 mins with the sharks and 19 Wash fwiw

Last edited:
Reactions: Flair Hay

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Our logjam at LD isn't a logjam. There is Stanley/Samberg/Heinola, they are one "young dman" spot for Maurice. There is a 3LD spot for a "young" player and a vet spot next to Pionk that Dillon can fill if we trade for him. Would still need a bottom pairing RHD or a homerun top pairing RHD because again, Maurice isn't playing multiple young players on D unless it's his last resort regardless of performance.
Yes. Jets need both LD and RD.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Zibanejad can make a lot of guys look silly, that clip isn't the norm for him. He's pretty decent for top 4 and skates well. Takes a lot of penalties though, that's annoying.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Dillon was a little polarizing as a Caps fan. I think you will see some Caps fans thought he was pretty good and others, like myself, don’t think he ever lived up to his contract. Winnipeg may be a better fit for his skill set. He is a great teammate and I’m sure the players in the locker room will be happy to have him.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Jets window to win is now. 2 2nds down the road won’t help in that regard. The price wasn’t cheap but given the circumstances I’d pay that every time.
Correct, glad to see some logic. Not the player I would spend 2 seconds on but your approach is right

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Dillon was a little polarizing as a Caps fan. I think you will see some Caps fans thought he was pretty good and others, like myself, don’t think he ever lived up to his contract. Winnipeg may be a better fit for his skill set. He is a great teammate and I’m sure the players in the locker room will be happy to have him.
What is Dillon good at?

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
So Ron Francis cost Seattle 3 future 2nd rd. picks by not selecting and trading Dillon and Bean? Francis officially failed his summer school project.

Not really. Its not like Seattle came out of it with nothing. And its also not like it was a sure thing they were gonna get that return moving forward.

they have Vanecek and Geekie. Worth a 3x 2nd? Id say its atleast close to fair value.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
What is Dillon good at?
He is a good penalty killer. He does a pretty good job of tying people up in front of the net. He is deceptively good at breaking out the puck on his own. His biggest issue with us was that he was a black hole offensively (which is not the end of the world) and he would make really weird decisions in terms of D zone coverage. He would often charge the puck carrier without paying attention to his responsibility or gap control. This would leave people wide open in transition and often resulted in odd man chances and goals. He also doesn’t always track the puck well or protect the back door seam pass.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
He is a good penalty killer. He does a pretty good job of tying people up in front of the net. He is deceptively good at breaking out the puck on his own.

We need this.

His biggest issue with us was that he was a black hole offensively (which is not the end of the world) and he would make really weird decisions in terms of D zone coverage. He would often charge the puck carrier without paying attention to his responsibility or gap control. This would leave people wide open in transition and often resulted in odd man chances and goals. He also doesn’t always track the puck well or protect the back door seam pass.

He'll fit right in here, our D like to do the same.

Reactions: MardyBum

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The problem with Dillon here in Washington was mostly who he played with. He was actually only here for a very short time. Trade Deadline 2020 and the season was almost immediately shutdown like a week or two afterwards. Then all of a sudden had to learn his new team in a weird bubble playoffs. And then a very shortened season in 2021 with a new coach and no training camp.

He was partnered in his time here with the Caps mostly with Carlson and Schultz. Dillon-Carlson wasn't that bad, not great either but not bad. Both are slower players and that could lead to problems at times, but it wasn't a bad pairing.

Dillon-Schultz was all kinds of umm.. something.

Last edited:
Reactions: max21

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Strange that the Jets wouldn’t give Chiarot 3.5 a few years ago and just paid 2 seconds and 3.9 for a comparable. Not ideal asset management

You can thank Dustin Byfuglien for that.

If the Jets knew that summer that Byfuglien was going to retire, they absolutely would've re-signed Chariot.

Instead, they had to keep salary cap space to re-sign Laine and Conner.

Then Byfuglien retires the day before training camp opens.

Then the NHL and NHLPA fight over his contract which drags out all season leaving the Jets unable to fill this hole because they did not know how much cap space they would have until the NHLPA/NHL fight was resolved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad