Confirmed Trade: [WPG/VGK] Jimmy Oligny for future considerations

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
I guess Chevy thought that it had been too long since he last made a trade.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm not sure why guys like Oligny were taking up contract spots to begin with. The Knights are paying for most of the Chicago Wolves team.

ahler Dman/forward that can fight; practically zero chance he ever plays for the Jets. This is just about clearing a contract spot for Vegas, who are almost at the 50 contract limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
So Jimmy Oligny goes from Chicago Wolves (Vegas AHL franchise) to Manitoba Moose (Jets AHL franchise) for "Future Considerations".

Then right after

Tye McGinn goes from to Manitoba Moose to Chicago Wolves (Jets AHL franchise) for "Future Considerations".

Why 2 separate trades? Why not do it as Jimmy Oligny for Tye McGinn? These guys would have felt better if they were traded for actual hockey players instead of "Future Considerations"

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
So Jimmy Oligny goes from Chicago Wolves (Vegas AHL franchise) to Manitoba Moose (Jets AHL franchise) for "Future Considerations".

Then right after

Tye McGinn goes from to Manitoba Moose to Chicago Wolves (Jets AHL franchise) for "Future Considerations".

Why 2 separate trades? Why not do it as Jimmy Oligny for Tye McGinn? These guys would have felt better if they were traded for actual hockey players instead of "Future Considerations"
mcginn's NHL rights werent moved i dont think

Reactions: JetsFan815

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Then right after

Why 2 separate trades? Why not do it as Jimmy Oligny for Tye McGinn?
These guys would have felt better if they were traded for actual hockey players instead of "Future Considerations"

mcginn's NHL rights werent moved i dont think

McGinn has no NHL contract and his NHL rights belong to no one.

The Occam's Razor answer might be that you can't officially trade a NHL contract (even if 2-way) for an AHL contract.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
McGinn has no NHL contract and his NHL rights belong to no one.

The Occam's Razor answer might be that you can't officially trade a NHL contract (even if 2-way) for an AHL contract.
That's exactly the case.

Teams can only trade NHL owned property.
Even though the AHL teams are seeing a swap of Oligny for McGinn, the NHL is effectively blind to the McGinn deal and needed something to put down in the records, for the Oligny deal, hence making the first NHL trade for futures, and then the AHL trade for futures.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
This is just about clearing a contract spot for Vegas, who are almost at the 50 contract limit.

Exactly. Also, McGinn is subject to the AHL Veteran Rule, while Oligny is not. Chicago has a bunch of young players, so they have room to absorb another veteran onto their roster - meanwhile, Manitoba has several "AHL Veterans" and was hovering around the limit of 5 per game. Just a couple of trades for roster flexibility ahead of the trade deadline, that's all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad