Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Shawn Matthias (2 years, $2.125M AAV)

Hobo Bob

Jan 29, 2015
Winnipeg
If we assume Matthias plays center then I think we can realistically expect a lineup like this:

Perreault Little Wheeler
Laine Scheifele Ehlers
Connor Matthias Dano
Petan ? Thorburn/Armia

That leaves us with 3 centers in Lowry, Copp and Burmistov. I`m extremely curious as to how they`re going to balance these lines, especially with the Jets penchant of keeping a face puncher in the press box.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
If we assume Matthias plays center then I think we can realistically expect a lineup like this:

Perreault Little Wheeler
Laine Scheifele Ehlers
Connor Matthias Dano
Petan ? Thorburn/Armia

That leaves us with 3 centers in Lowry, Copp and Burmistov. I`m extremely curious as to how they`re going to balance these lines, especially with the Jets penchant of keeping a face puncher in the press box.

Don't forget Stafford, where does he fit.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Much better player than Thorburn or some of the other vets Maurice seems to love to play so much.

This guy won't make you vomit your entrails when your coach gives him 1st or 2nd line minutes.

He's got a good compete level and speed but cement bricks for hands.

You'll see a lot of great plays fizzle but not result in scoring chances against.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Perreault Little Wheeler
Laine Scheifele Ehlers
Connor Matthias Dano
Petan ? Thorburn/Armia

Petan goes back to the Moose to play top line minutes.
Stafford will be on that 3rd line unless they trade him.
Matthias could end up on the 4th line.
Thorburn / Sniper / Nose will be in the press box.
Roslovic, Lemieux and others likely get lot in the shuffle this year because of all of the depth we know have.

The Jets "5th line" is now better than our 3rd line was in 2011.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
This is a good signing. Its about time the Jets BEEF UP their roster and add some size. :nod:

Uh...What? The Jets have been one of the bigger and more physical teams in the league for the last few years now.

Goaltending and more recently special teams have been the problems. Never size.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Was great with the Avs in his short time there. But I'm happy with Colborne. Would have been happier with both tbh

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
i feel for this guy.

florida
van
toronto
colorado
wpg

in like 4 years. i know hes paid millions but i hope he can find a system he plays well in. if he can ratchet up the physicality a little bit hes a perfect bot 6 fit for wpg

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah on the Leafs. He was awesome on the Avs. They were idiots to let him go for this price. Even more so to a division rival. Avs are the Vancouver of the Central now.

Not the Avs fault. It was already reported Matthias wanted to sign closer to home.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
He's Mr March. Other months he'll have you pulling your hair out. SOME tools , but no toolbox. Gets to tough areas but can't finish. Type of player always leaving you wanting more.

Likely his last crack at full time NHL gig. In saying that, deepest team maybe he's ever played on now with the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad