Confirmed Trade: [WPG/SEA] Mason Appleton for 2023 4th round pick

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don’t think Seattle is deep enough to have him on the 4th line though. Of course, coaches like to get in the way sometimes. lol

It had nothing to do with the coach and was all on Appleton. He had plenty of chances up and down the lineup but couldn't cement himself in a spot. So he recently was playing more on the 4th line than anywhere else. For a 4th liner he was very good but they were expecting more from him. With his arbitration eligibility they didn't want to be paying too much if he remained on the 4th line. They can find cheaper replacements in free agency.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It had nothing to do with the coach and was all on Appleton. He had plenty of chances up and down the lineup but couldn't cement himself in a spot. So he recently was playing more on the 4th line than anywhere else. For a 4th liner he was very good but they were expecting more from him. With his arbitration eligibility they didn't want to be paying too much if he remained on the 4th line. They can find cheaper replacements in free agency.

It’s interesting how he can be on the 4th line on a team like Seattle but other teams he can move up. He’ll most certainly be on the Jets 3rd line but we’ve had very little production in our bottom 6 but our top 6 has produced fairly well.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
“How you like them apples”

Francis could have taken Demelo on defence from the Jets. All the Jets lose out of the Seattle expansion was a 4 th round pick!

Reactions: hn777

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
They are not spending assets as they got a player back who they did not want to get rid of in the first place and who is an RFA not a rental. One could argue they received a much better asset back.
Considering Chevy didn’t want to lose Appleton in the expansion draft less than a year ago, and SEA wanted a 1st not to take him, this is a win for WPG

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
"Is there a plan in Seattle?" is the most armchair GM post of all time. Nah it's just a bunch of people doing random shit

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Man I'd have added a prospect or an additional later pick. Appleton is a great bottom 6 guy. What a steal for the Jets

Reactions: hn777
Nov 24, 2006
"Is there a plan in Seattle?" is the most armchair GM post of all time. Nah it's just a bunch of people doing random shit
It's a fair question whether you like it or not. Most teams are either constructing or deconstructing. Starting from the expansion draft and onward, I can't grasp what Seattle is doing. I'm not alone.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Jets was willing to pay to keep Appleton, but Francis asked for the moon (and hired Hakstol) so he got less

What were they willing to pay and what did Francis ask? I haven't seen any links that show either of those before.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Francis wanted a 1st, Chevy offered a 3rd I believe

No way Francis was asking a 1st for not take Appleton. The only 1st I heard was from Calgary to not take Giordano. Also reports of a 1st to take the big money guys from Philly.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
No way Francis was asking a 1st for not take Appleton. The only 1st I heard was from Calgary to not take Giordano. Also reports of a 1st to take the big money guys from Philly.
The word at the time was that if you didn’t want to lose your player, it would cost a 1st… whether that was the actual ask, I don’t know, but I know Chevy did make an offer, I believe a 3rd, but I could be wrong, and he was denied and didn’t like the counter offer from SEA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad