Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Sami Niku re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $725K AAV)

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Sadly his defence is not good even at AHL level.
For some reason he does not seem to take defence that seriously.
I mean he could be quite a good NHL player if he would rise his defence few level.

But he does seem bit egoist...

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
What's up with him? I thought he was supposed to be a regular years ago when I read how high Jets' fans were.

He was recognized as the Top AHL defenceman previously and he is very bright and creative offensively. Last year would have been a great opportunity to showcase his stuff with the departure of many vet d-men but his year was pretty much a write-off (got in a car accident in training camp, other injuries later in the year).

Now, he’s pushed down quite a bit on our depth chart but if he’s hungry, he should earn an opportunity and hopefully he seizes it.

Or, he can be a trading chip as well.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
What's up with him? I thought he was supposed to be a regular years ago when I read how high Jets' fans were.

He prefers playing on the right side (as a left hand shot) so last year was supposed to be his arrival as Myers was moving on. Turns out Buff, Trouba and Myers all left at the same time so it was all but guaranteed to happen, but then he got in a fairly significant car accident right before training camp and had to miss some time.

He came back and played one exhibition game on the top pair with JMo and looked good.

Then he pulled his groin, like the next day in practice, and had to miss more time. That opened the door for Tucker Poolman to get minutes on the first pair. We acquired Pionk in the Trouba trade for the second pair and then we played Sbisa/Bitteto on the third pair.

Once Niku got healthy, rumour has it, he got into a shouting match with the D coach when he found out he was still going to be healthy scratched. Which then resulted in him being sat for an extended period and if you believe some, sent to the Moose to send a message.

He put up 14 points in 18 games with the Moose and he only ended up getting to play 17 games for the Jets when we legitimately thought that he had a chance to run with the top pair spot going into training camp last year.

At the trade deadline we traded for, and extended DeMelo, still have Pionk, and Poolman has solidified himself on the right side so Niku's going to be in tough to win a spot on the right. It's going to be a battle royal in camp on the left side as we have JMO in pen on the top pair, but from there it's an open competition with Niku, Forbert, Beaulieu, Sbisa, Samberg & Heinola all fighting for a spot. I really believe that we need to transition to our young blue chip Defensemen in Samberg and Heinola with Samberg taking a spot this year and Heinola taking one next year.

Niku lives in Winnipeg full time and I'm still rooting for him. An ideal outcome for him is he wins a spot on the left side of our defense in camp and then flip over to the right side next year if Poolman isn't extended.

It's also been speculated by fans that potentially we could package him up with Roslovic and get back a top 4 LHD.

Anyhow, at 24 it's about time to make the leap and I think that he will. He just missed half a season last year and in many fans minds may have been passed by some of our shiny new toys. Camp will be super competitive and very interesting.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Guess it is a 2-way contract but negotiated so the salary doesnt drop if sent down?
By definition a two-way contract means a SPC with different salaries for NHL and AHL/other league.

One-way/two-way doesn't in any way mean it is a contract where the player can't/can easily be sent to AHL, because the waiver rules apply to every player after his exemption years are up.

A Non-Movement Clause on the SPC will stop the team transferring the player to AHL, but that's only available for UFA-eligible players with enough negotiation power to get one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad