Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Sami Niku re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $725K AAV)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
For a 2-way deal, 725k is cheap, and he's for sure going to be buried if he doesn't perform. It's make-or-break time, Sami.
don't see where he fits within the d group right now.... he's not better than any1 on the right side, and the only fit he'd have would be 3LD (at 2LD he and Pionk would be a nightmare for the Jets). But id rather play Samberg or Heinola in that spot than Niku

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
don't see where he fits within the d group right now.... he's not better than any1 on the right side, and the only fit he'd have would be 3LD (at 2LD he and Pionk would be a nightmare for the Jets). But id rather play Samberg or Heinola in that spot than Niku

On paper yes, but usually our blueline is in a wheelchair by the 3rd month. Judging by the injury rate in the NFL from the restrictions this summer, NHLers are going to be dropping like flies with soft-tissue injuries and replacements like Niku will be necessary.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
On paper yes, but usually our blueline is in a wheelchair by the 3rd month. Judging by the injury rate in the NFL from the restrictions this summer, NHLers are going to be dropping like flies with soft-tissue injuries and replacements like Niku will be necessary.
yeah it's going to take injuries for him to be in the line-up. i wonder how long he'll stay quiet if he's not getting playing time though.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Depth will be King this season. There will be more injuries with compressed schedules, players will potentially miss weeks at a time with COVID or have to sit out waiting on results for potential exposures. I don't think it will take much time for him to get in the lineup and I hope he can do well when he does get in.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He will be a kraken this time next year. As for this year 6th on the ld depth charts

Reactions: Morrison

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
Talk about not wanted. He had to fight tooth and nail for that extra 25k.

Is it really a one way contract? Niku scored big.
I think the 700k and 750k represent the minimum salary both years (accounting for a 50,000 bump in the minimum from 20-21 to 21-22)

Reactions: Morrison

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Or coaching
Have you watched him play for the Jets? He has basically zero interest in defending. Not the best trait for a defenseman. He may decide to play better D, but his failings are not a coaching issue. You can’t change a player’s mind against his will.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
He will be a kraken this time next year. As for this year 6th on the ld depth charts
The expansion draft rules generally expose more decent defensemen than forwards, so Seattle should have lots of better options than Niku unless he really improves this year.

Without checking the expected protection list of every team, I'd guess they take one of Copp/Appleton/Harkins/Roslovic depending on which of them the Jets protect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad