Proposal: [WPG-NYR] Copp+ for Lundkvist+

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If we acquired Copp I wouldn’t consider him a rental. I’d resign him to replace Strome and change the look of that line, at least as a more affordable stop gap until a better center solution presents itself. Don’t need Stanley, but I don’t mind the basis of the trade. I want Copp in NY. He’s buddies with Trouba as well so probably an easy re-sign.
I'd be really concerned with signing Copp to a raise and sticking him at the 2c spot. I mean he has good faceoff numbers, but he's basically a winger right now. If this is to fill a spot until a better solution comes, then we just made a bad signing if the goal is to move him out of that position. 900k raise would put him at 4.5 and I think that's a bit too pricey for us.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I'd be really concerned with signing Copp to a raise and sticking him at the 2c spot. I mean he has good faceoff numbers, but he's basically a winger right now. If this is to fill a spot until a better solution comes, then we just made a bad signing if the goal is to move him out of that position. 900k raise would put him at 4.5 and I think that's a bit too pricey for us.

I think Copp is movable at 4.5 though in 2 years when we find/grow our own solution. Better than Strome at 6+.

Reactions: BatVader

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I thought Copp was out with his 5th concussion? I heard on a Winnipeg based Podcast suggestions his career is in doubt.

I hope I'm wrong but he seems like a less than ideal trade candidate right now if you want any value.
no b'c general principle of dealing youth when ny does not have surplus youth, generally speaking, and also b'c NY can NOT afford extending w/insane cap next yr

But this is even further basis to say no. Unreservedly. Health/concussions are deal breaker.
Why this may not be right for NYR

NYR not moving Lundkvist without some upside youth coming back in the return, really don't see him moved for a rental.

LD is not where NYR need to fill pipeline(they have Miller, Lindgren, Jones, Robertson, Reunanen, Hajek all ~Stanley age or younger)
concur
No way NYR move Lundkvist for a rental.

He is basically NHL ready and with Schneider playing very well, this is the only thing keeping him out of the lineup.
concur x 2

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Andrew Copp + Logan Stanley for Nils Lundkvist + Lauri Pajuniemi + 4th round pick (WPG)

This trade addresses both teams needs and, IMO, is a fair trade for both sides
Id do that. Stanley is underrated and would fit on this team with his size grit and able to defend his teammates.

Reactions: BatVader

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Andrew Copp + Logan Stanley for Nils Lundkvist + Lauri Pajuniemi + 4th round pick (WPG)

This trade addresses both teams needs and, IMO, is a fair trade for both sides
Propose this on the Rangers board. I'm sure most would think its fair.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If we acquired Copp I wouldn’t consider him a rental. I’d resign him to replace Strome and change the look of that line, at least as a more affordable stop gap until a better center solution presents itself. Don’t need Stanley, but I don’t mind the basis of the trade. I want Copp in NY. He’s buddies with Trouba as well so probably an easy re-sign.
A key factor to consider when replacing a player is to make sure that the replacement does his job as well, if not better than the original. If he doesn't, it should be called a downgrade. Strome is not perfect but he puts up points at almost twice the rate of Copp.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
A key factor to consider when replacing a player is to make sure that the replacement does his job as well, if not better than the original. If he doesn't, it should be called a downgrade. Strome is not perfect but he puts up points at almost twice the rate of Copp.

And what about the rest of his job? Does he backcheck? Forecheck? Win faceoffs? Kill penalties effectively? Copp would be a good depth add for this year (self renting Strome) and then a perfectly fine *stop gap* for 1-2 years after letting Strome walk. The salary cap is also a consideration and if one allows you to address other depth issues while the other tied your hands cost wise, it’s a factor. Also, will Strome outproduce Copp next year if they switch positions and one becomes stapled to Panarin (#2 in NHL in assists) while the other goes on to be a run of the mill middle six center somewhere?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Nils value is a 1st. Copp’s value according to most Jets fans when I asked on their sub is a 2nd or 2nd+ prospect. He’s an above average 3C and solid 2LW. And Logan Stanley would be behind Lindgren, Miller, Nemeth, Hajek, Jones, and possibly Robertson on the LHD depth chart.

Interested in Copp for a 2nd+Hunter Skinner. If not we’ll find that elsewhere.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
And what about the rest of his job? Does he backcheck? Forecheck? Win faceoffs? Kill penalties effectively? Copp would be a good depth add for this year (self renting Strome) and then a perfectly fine *stop gap* for 1-2 years after letting Strome walk. The salary cap is also a consideration and if one allows you to address other depth issues while the other tied your hands cost wise, it’s a factor. Also, will Strome outproduce Copp next year if they switch positions and one becomes stapled to Panarin (#2 in NHL in assists) while the other goes on to be a run of the mill middle six center somewhere?
Our best winger is very happy with Strome as his center. IMO, that means you offer Strome a very team friendly deal without killer term and see if he goes for it. If he moves on to bigger money elsewhere, Strome can have the "it's not you, it's me" conversation with Panarin instead of Drury trying to sell a new center on him like he's trying to convince a kid their new step parent isn't that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad