Proposal: Wpg/Min

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Need more than a potential late 1st rounder.

I know, I'm just too high on Connor to give him up, no matter how good of the return.

I'd like to see the Jets move some of the bottom six for a solid D man, doesn't have to be a top D man.
We have Petan, Burmistrov, Dano, Armia, Copp, Lowry, and simply not enough room for all of them.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yeah Ehlers, Laine and Connor are non-starters.. However Petan, Roslovic, Harkins would be possible.

Ummm remember the Taylor Hall deal? D men are at a premium. We would have no choice but to offer up Ehlers or Connor for a notable D or D prospect.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Could the Wild use Myers if added with Petan for one of those LD +? The + could be a pick. That would help our expansion draft concerns.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Could the Wild use Myers if added with Petan for one of those LD +? The + could be a pick. That would help our expansion draft concerns.

It would do nothing for Minnesota's expansion draft concerns though.

Take out one of Brodin or Scandella and add Myers and Minnesota would have Suter, Myers, Spurgeon, Dumba, Brodin/Scandella. Can only protect 4 of them at most so it solves nothing.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It would do nothing for Minnesota's expansion draft concerns though.

Take out one of Brodin or Scandella and add Myers and Minnesota would have Suter, Myers, Spurgeon, Dumba, Brodin/Scandella. Can only protect 4 of them at most so it solves nothing.

Wild have already said they are going the 7-3-1 route so that makes it only 3 D that can be protected, not 4.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Wild can afford to lose one of Scandella/Brodin.

Fair return IMO is Connor/Ehlers. Laine is on the next higher price level.

Connor seems more like a wild player. NCAA, US18, good character and solid 2way.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
How do top line / potential top line 20ish year old wingers (ehlers and connor) = 2nd pairing defensive defenseman in value? Am I missing something here? How does that make any sense?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
The Wild are most likely going to lose their 4th best D-man in the expansion draft. Yes they can only lose 1 player but that looks to be a pretty good one. A high quality forward prospect doesn't need to be protected so the Wild could then protect one more player. There's value in this for both teams but I believe it would be for the Wild's 2nd best LHD.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How do top line / potential top line 20ish year old wingers (ehlers and connor) = 2nd pairing defensive defenseman in value? Am I missing something here? How does that make any sense?

Because the one group( forwards) are NOT top line players right now, just potential top liners, while Scandella/ Brodin have a track record of being top 4 for years now, and in Brodin's case played on the top pairing for the Wild. Brodin, especially, at 22, has plenty of time to grow. Scandella is a top 4 Dman just entering his prime at 26 with a reasonable, long term contract.

These are important details. Not all top4 Dmen are the same. If you made a list of the top 60 Dmen in the NHL, most people would have both those players on it.

HF boards values the potential over the actual, for the most part. I assure you, GM's value the actual far more.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Because the one group( forwards) are NOT top line players right now, just potential top liners, while Scandella/ Brodin have a track record of being top 4 for years now, and in Brodin's case played on the top pairing for the Wild. Brodin, especially, at 22, has plenty of time to grow. Scandella is a top 4 Dman just entering his prime at 26 with a reasonable, long term contract.

These are important details. Not all top4 Dmen are the same. If you made a list of the top 60 Dmen in the NHL, most people would have both those players on it.

HF boards values the potential over the actual, for the most part. I assure, GM's value the actual far more.

I mostly prefer proven over potential (unless the potential is an absolute can't miss guy), but you have to consider that Ehlers played top line last year for us as a 19-year-old, and scored pretty well doing so. Connor is a different story though, I'll give you that one. Laine is that can't miss guy I was talking about, so there's not much left.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wild can afford to lose one of Scandella/Brodin.

Fair return IMO is Connor/Ehlers. Laine is on the next higher price level.

Connor seems more like a wild player. NCAA, US18, good character and solid 2way.

Jets don't need a top-4 D nearly enough to trade top-end prospects on ELCs like Connor or Ehlers, especially with an expansion draft coming up. The Jets have a good top-4, and Morrissey is still a quality LHD prospect.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mostly prefer proven over potential (unless the potential is an absolute can't miss guy), but you have to consider that Ehlers played top line last year for us as a 19-year-old, and scored pretty well doing so. Connor is a different story though, I'll give you that one. Laine is that can't miss guy I was talking about, so there's not much left.

Yup, Ehlers looked really good, though he tailed off, didn't he? Normal for young players. Just saying that a solid top 4 ( not a fringe top 4D) guy is worth a lot.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Yup, Ehlers looked really good, though he tailed off, didn't he?

No, he was good to start and good to finish the season. He scored one even-strength point in 15 games when our great coach saddled him with Thorburn and Burmistrov, though. Splits here.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yup, Ehlers looked really good, though he tailed off, didn't he? Normal for young players. Just saying that a solid top 4 ( not a fringe top 4D) guy is worth a lot.

Not that badly IMO, his 38 points were split quite evenly over the season (barring December, 1 point in 12 games).

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Jets don't need a top-4 D nearly enough to trade top-end prospects on ELCs like Connor or Ehlers, especially with an expansion draft coming up. The Jets have a good top-4, and Morrissey is still a quality LHD prospect.

Agreed. Adding Scandella would be nice for sure, but not a chance I would move Ehlers or Connor for him.

Also, making a trade for a D like him wouldn't work for expansion purposes, unless the Jets somehow get Enstrom to waive his NMC and decide not to protect him.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Agreed. Adding Scandella would be nice for sure, but not a chance I would move Ehlers or Connor for him.

Also, making a trade for a D like him wouldn't work for expansion purposes, unless the Jets somehow get Enstrom to waive his NMC and decide not to protect him.

I d say zero chance to get a 20min D on 4x4 contract with non roster spare parts. Next thread...

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis

HF boards values the potential over the actual, for the most part. I assure you, GM's value the actual far more.

Unless you're an Oilers fan then you believe only Suter is a top 60 defenseman on the Wild. And because nobody plays defense like the Oilers do.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Absolutely no interest in moving Laine, Connor or Ehlers. None. Sorry.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Well, I'd sure love to trade some of this bevy of high-end forward prospect talent for some high-end D talent, but it's certainly not going to be expansion exempt for non-exempt.

:dunno:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Well, I'd sure love to trade some of this bevy of high-end forward prospect talent for some high-end D talent, but it's certainly not going to be expansion exempt for non-exempt.

:dunno:

Brodin and Scandella are hardly high end D talent.

Agree with both posts. If we trade any of our elite forward prospects we would want back an equally elite dman back.........I don't view either Brodin or Scandella as an acceptable return IMO.

Min fans will disagree and that's cool as well.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Brodin and Scandella are hardly high end D talent.

Except Brodin has already proven to be an effective top pairing defenseman. If you look at 2014-15 he was the better player paired with Suter. He averaged over 23:00/TOI and had just shy of 20 points and was +22.

Last year Yeo took him off that top pairing and never allowed him to settle in with a consistent partner all year. He was partnered with Scandella, Reilly, Dumba and Folin. Brodin at least had the last laugh; when he got hurt and was out for a month the team went into the tank and Yeo got fired.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Except Brodin has already proven to be an effective top pairing defenseman. If you look at 2014-15 he was the better player paired with Suter. He averaged over 23:00/TOI and had just shy of 20 points and was +22.

Last year Yeo took him off that top pairing and never allowed him to settle in with a consistent partner all year. He was partnered with Scandella, Reilly, Dumba and Folin. Brodin at least had the last laugh; when he got hurt and was out for a month the team went into the tank and Yeo got fired.

Did you actually just try to use +/- as an argument? That is the single worst thing you can do on these boards lol.

Anyways, he faced tough competition and was slaughtered by them. Hardly a high level defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad