Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets Sign Ville Heinola to ELC

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No, it needs to be asked and negotiated for. It's the CBA 11.19 European Assignment clause where the player gets to pick the overseas team he will be loaned to instead of AHL (if he is under existing IIHF contract it's obviously that one).

I think they sign every promising youngster in Finland for 3 years at 17 so they'll get the transfer fee if/when they leave to NHL, but only a select few ask for this clause.

But there apparently is another clause in the TA similar to the one with CHL, where you have to offer 18-19 y.o. non-first-rounder back to the European team if he doesn't make the NHL roster and would be Loaned to AHL. This is the Club's option, not the player's.

That's the one I was thinking of.

Reactions: Lempo

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Wouldn't mind seeing him get some pre-season games in.

Wonder if he'll be in the AHL or Liiga next year.
TBH I wouldn’t be surprised if he was good enough to play in the NHL next year, I think he’s that good.

Even if he is good enough to play immediately the Jets are probably better off contract wise if they let his ELC slide for 2 years so they maintain RFA control until he’s 27. Players are better and more valuable at 26/27 than at 18/19 so if teams are really managing their contracts properly in most cases even NHL ready players shouldn’t make the team before they hit 20.

Assuming he’s 2 years away IMO the best thing from a development perspective would be another year in Finland then a year in the AHL to get adjust to the city and North American game.

Reactions: MardyBum

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Even if he is good enough to play immediately the Jets are probably better off contract wise if they let his ELC slide for 2 years so they maintain RFA control until he’s 27.

To reach UFA early you need 7 "Accrued Seasons", which means seasons you spend at least 40 games in the NHL roster. It's different from "professional seasons", which 18-19 year olds can get by playing 10 or more NHL games (and Slide if they don't).

He doesn't have to Slide but he has to spend better half of the season in AHL for next two years to avoid early eligibility for UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad