Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets re-sign Mark Scheifele - (8 years, $6.125M AAV)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Looking back at that 2011 draft he wasn't even really ranked to go anywhere. But his forward progression was obviously there and just continues to be there. He's on the u24 team this fall ... this time last year he was likely not even in the conversation. Next step all-star. I can see it now him being our guy at the 16-17 ASG.

The guy does everything you expect a pro to do. He still makes it clear this is Buff and Wheels team. But he also shows in bringing Laine to WPG for his kidsport camp and golf tourney that he's ready to step into that "mature" guys role. It wouldn't surprise me if he continues that in the fall by letting Laine move in with him while he gets used to North America.

Chipman and Thompson realize they got a special guy here by letting Chevy go after an 8 year deal. Sheif shows the guy he is by not only wanting the 8 years, but also likely leaving several millions on the table by accepting it and staying in the Peg. once McD, Eichel, Matthews and Laine push the bar higher, Landescog and Sheif deals will look like a bargain for their last 4 or 5 years.... The way the cap is going and the way he's strives to get better, there's no doubt in my mind he's +$10M/per by year 5 on....

He was 12th on McKenzie's list.

http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=47549

Laine has already said his mother will come and live in Winnipeg with him in his rookie season. I don't think both of them moving in with Scheifele is the plan.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Here's a better one, he led the entire league in points after Bryan Little went down over the last 25 games of the Jets season (Feb 19th onward).
c1aaa5b0dd03cccdde4e9f40c9424bd6.png

There was some puck luck involved though. His underlying shot metrics actually dipped a bit.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He was 12th on McKenzie's list.

http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=47549

Laine has already said his mother will come and live in Winnipeg with him in his rookie season. I don't think both of them moving in with Scheifele is the plan.

Guess he rose up! I was going from memory and just googled it after seeing your post! Bob was ahead of the curve!

In true Sheifele fashion, he was not even on the board the prior summer...

He was nothing but class from the start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siTm-mYI7mc

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
once McD, Eichel, Matthews and Laine push the bar higher, Landescog and Sheif deals will look like a bargain for their last 4 or 5 years.... The way the cap is going and the way he's strives to get better, there's no doubt in my mind he's +$10M/per by year 5 on....

Unless we'll see the young 'uns around the board sign for "cap-realistic" contracts to help their team be a contender from here onwards rather than push them against the Cap somewhat short-sightedly. If you're talking of the named players pushing the salary bar higher, I don't get the airs from Laine either that he would be expecing an especially-high personal contract either instead of elevated competitiveness of the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets pay a lot of attention to character and want to build around players that are highly dedicated and will make a commitment to the franchise and community. It's a big reason why they traded Kane and Bogo, and why they signed Scheifele for the max 8 years.

If Trouba meets that test, they'll lock him up long term too. The Jets want players to be excited about contributing to the future of the team.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
The Jets pay a lot of attention to character and want to build around players that are highly dedicated and will make a commitment to the franchise and community. It's a big reason why they traded Kane and Bogo, and why they signed Scheifele for the max 8 years.

If Trouba meets that test, they'll lock him up long term too. The Jets want players to be excited about contributing to the future of the team.

Then why did they sign Kane and Bogo to 6 and 7 year deals? Character will not prevent them from trading Scheifele if a good offer comes along.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Then why did they sign Kane and Bogo to 6 and 7 year deals? Character will not prevent them from trading Scheifele if a good offer comes along.

Well, if you don't secure your investments, you'll eventually lose value on that asset. It's business, not personal.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Simply AMAZING deal for the peg, it will look like a steal as soon as next season! :D

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Bogo discreetly asked management for a fresh start elsewhere and they accomodated.

Kane is one of the few "superstar" deals that did not include a no-movement clause or no trade list at any point in the deal. He and the Jets knew he wasn't playing out that deal in Winnipeg.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

What was the option? Trade unsigned players? Nope.

Besides, I think the extent of the concerns about them as long-term Jets arose mostly after they had signed. They were still assessing everyone in the organization. Regardless, it is very clear that neither fit the Jets organization nearly as much as Scheifele. 'Nuff said.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Wow. Great contract and term. Love it, love it!!
I would consider doing a similar deal with Trouba. I know he's less proven, but I'm pretty confident he will end up being a top 4 d. Even though his production fell off last year, I still think he had a solid year. This keeps our young guns locked up for a long time. Continuity on the core group will help in attracting possible UFA signings down the road.

Yes exactly and UFA's who want to win the Stanley Cup before their careers end and we might be able to get them to sign a one or two year deal for the opportunity for what's the use of playing in the NHL and never wining the Stanley Cup other than then the millions they already made and will make after a quick stint with our Jets to try to win the cup with us..... guys you are witnessing the construction of a Dynasty here and if you believe it or not, it will happen.

And that is how our Jets roll and treat their prospects and players, with respect and supporting their life decisions for if its important to them then that's all that matters to us = TNSE, The Winnipeg Jets and their Fans period!

Its the Win ni Peg way!

If you don't believe me....

Then ask Mark Scheifele.

:handclap: :nod: Go Jets Go :jets Go Jets Go :nod: :handclap:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad