Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets extend Joe Morrow (1 year, $1M)

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Perfect signing now keep sami niku in the ahl for another year with more ice time and responsibilities, don't know why ppl want to rush him he's defensive game isn't the best yet

Reactions: KingBogo

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Is he projected to be the #7 to start the year?

That's what training camp and preseason are for. Jets should have 8 NHL defenseman on the roster, and two potential call ups in Niku and Nogier who could use some seasoning.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
That's what training camp and preseason are for. Jets should have 8 NHL defenseman on the roster, and two potential call ups in Niku and Nogier who could use some seasoning.
That's why I asked "projected"...

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Morrow fit in very well with the Jets. His advanced stats were excellent, especially with Buff. Very happy with this depth signing.
Everyone has good advanced stats when they play with Buff. Weird coincidence that.

Anyway, ok depth signing.

Reactions: KingBogo

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That's why I asked "projected"...

Hard to say. Probably had a better playoff than Benny. Played well with Buff. 6-8 are a toss up, even 5 is no guarantee. I'd say he gets a chance with Buff. Whether he runs with it or not, we'll see. Glad he's back.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hope not. There's nothing I'm looking forward to more than to watch him with the team next year.
I think Niku's most likely starting spot is with the Moose. As of now with Morrow's signing there are 4 LHD above him that require waivers (assuming Morrissey is signed). The Jets don't throw away players so I'd expect Niku to start in the A, barring injuries or a trade

Reactions: 204hockey

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Everyone has good advanced stats when they play with Buff. Weird coincidence that.

Anyway, ok depth signing.
Weird thing is that Buff was better with Morrow than without him, and Morrow was actually even better without Buff than with Buff.

Small sample sizes, but Morrow was very good with the Jets down the stretch and in the playoffs.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
His agent gave him the idea to play in Montreal with a coach who never liked him. Maybe the whole plan was he would look good on their defence and eventually Julien would get him packed elsewhere.

What!? I though he loved him. Gave him all the opportunities in the world early on even if he was playin like shit... it's not like Claude had much better options but still he have him 18-20 min on multiple games. He played better half way through and we were able to get aomething f9r him because of that, but he's nothing more then a 7-8th imo

Reactions: baronvonadam

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I think Niku's most likely starting spot is with the Moose. As of now with Morrow's signing there are 4 LHD above him that require waivers (assuming Morrissey is signed). The Jets don't throw away players so I'd expect Niku to start in the A, barring injuries or a trade
Probably right. I just really liked what I saw the game he was up and can't wait for him to be up permanent.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm ok with this, he was decent. I didn't expect much from him but he exceeded my low expectations, so cool.

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
Bit of a log jam for the Jets right now in the bottom half of the lineup

Morrow, Niku, Poolman, Chiarot all battling it out for last lineup spot and press box duties.
Add kulikov to that list too. Think niku and kuli will battle to fill enstrom's spot with the loser get a head up above morrow and chiarot for bottom pairing with myers.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
With Kulikov now having 2 years of back problems and just having back surgery I'd put a big question mark by his name. Just as likely he is a LTIR candidate as a regular player next season.

Good point. Forgot he only put the surgery off.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
It's a cheap (if you can call $1 million cheap) depth move and nothing else. Nobody has to worry about losing their spot on the roster to him. However, compared to the departed Enstrom he's a shooting machine; 5 playoff games 9 shots (1 goal). Enstrom, 5 playoff games 2 shots (0 goals).

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Because every team needs #6, 7, and 8 defencemen.

Morrow is just that, a decent depth defenceman.
My point is that the Jets have other priorities that should take precedent over signing a #6,7,8 Dman. Joe Morrow type players are dime a dozen and can be acquired at anytime.
For me, first you deal with the Stastny/2C issue and the RFAs, then you look at your bottom pairing/depth players.

Nov 24, 2006
My point is that the Jets have other priorities that should take precedent over signing a #6,7,8 Dman. Joe Morrow type players are dime a dozen and can be acquired at anytime.
For me, first you deal with the Stastny/2C issue and the RFAs, then you look at your bottom pairing/depth players.
Why?

They traded a 4th for Morrow, he is an asset Cheveldayoff wanted. A guy like Morrow was the easy signing, likely took 5 minutes. One year, 1 million. Done.

Everyone else is going to take some time.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I watched the Jets pretty much exclusively the last month of the season. And I would have preferred they played Morrow instead of Enstrom.

This is a very good understated signing. Only 1M and 1 year for a player that can play effectively on the 3rd pairing.

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016

Chevy hopefully can also work at more than one thing at a time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad