Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] F Rasmus Kupari re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $1M AAV)

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Like, can't stick handle, can't finish, or both ?
Both. His trademark move was to turnover pucks at his own blueline or in the neutral zone. He’s a grinder who thinks he has a flair for finesse, and he has no finish. That’s why he’s so frustrating to watch. He can absolutely fly, and will sometimes decide to throw his body around, but his play is too inconsistent. Maybe he’ll figure out his limitations and become a more dependable player in Winnipeg, but as of this writing, his play has been way too erratic.

Reactions: steepdrop

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Kupari has always fancied himself as a scorer, but tends to fall back on individual runs around defenders before cutting to the net. He hasn't really displayed much of anything off of a cycle, his only real chances come off the rush.

In order to make the Kings pro roster, Kupari was told he needed to adapt to a checking mindset. He struggled with defensive consistency, obviously not an issue with a kid trying something new.

But I disagree about his hands. His physical tools are just fine. He is showing a total lack of confidence which affects his decision making. That is a common trait among Kings forward prospects, very little thought is given to endorsing the youthful confidence of scorers - they have to learn to pay their checking dues before being given a shot in the role they were drafted to provide.

Kempe took years to find himself after being moved all around the lineup. Its no surprise that he broke through when finally given a consistent shot at a permanent scoring role. See Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, JAD, and Fagemo - all showing a lack of confidence at the NHL and being inserted into roles that don't match their skill sets or desires is very much part of that.

Point is, nothing is definite with Kupari yet. There could very well still be a first round talent in there if you can get help him maximize his identity.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Kupari's biggest flaw is that he holds on to the puck way longer than he needs to. Which means it gets turned over eventually.

He threw like 1 hit in the 2020/2021 Edmonton series that led directly to a goal but other than that he's allergic to contact.

Positive traits are his size and speed.

If he learns how to dish the puck off more, use his body to protect the puck, and figure out how to shoot to score he could be contributing 2nd liner in the NHL.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Both. His trademark move was to turnover pucks at his own blueline or in the neutral zone. He’s a grinder who thinks he has a flair for finesse, and he has no finish. That’s why he’s so frustrating to watch. He can absolutely fly, and will sometimes decide to throw his body around, but his play is too inconsistent. Maybe he’ll figure out his limitations and become a more dependable player in Winnipeg, but as of this writing, his play has been way too erratic.
Sounds like he could be a bigger, more physical Byron.

Can he deke if he's on a breakaway ?

Byron had a meh shot and I don't think he tried to dangle once that I can recall.

Amazing at skiing in a straight line and making people look like they weren't NHL material skaters.

If he has that type of potential, then I hope Winnipeg is patient with him

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Are you mistaking him for Nasty Nate Schmidt who did get suspended for PEDs. I don't recall Karlsson getting busted for anything.
Nope, not mistaken. He didn’t get “busted” but he went from never scoring 10 goals anywhere in North America to 43, then Vegas got investigated and surprise surprise he slid right back down to 15 or below since.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Gone dead train ... Winnipeg.

For Finns.

Nowadays that is ... but back in the day they (Winnipeg Jets) were the real deal and a Finland stronghold remember:

Teemu Selänne and Teppo Numminen.

But a real NHL backyard nowadays for (young) Finland hockeyplayers.

Lex Laine.

Oh, no not Winnipeg! many of us Finland hockeyfans thinx when actually our few NHL-caliber players land in spots like Winnipeg, Montreal, Toronto and even Tampa Bay - places that don't dig Finland that much.

Brutal truth.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Nope, not mistaken. He didn’t get “busted” but he went from never scoring 10 goals anywhere in North America to 43, then Vegas got investigated and surprise surprise he slid right back down to 15 or below since.
Hmm that is a bit curious isnt it!
Although it does seem like he's still on steroids whenever he plays the Sharks, he's always potting a shorthanded goal against us but wow he hasnt gotten close to 43 again wow

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kupari has always fancied himself as a scorer, but tends to fall back on individual runs around defenders before cutting to the net. He hasn't really displayed much of anything off of a cycle, his only real chances come off the rush.

In order to make the Kings pro roster, Kupari was told he needed to adapt to a checking mindset. He struggled with defensive consistency, obviously not an issue with a kid trying something new.

But I disagree about his hands. His physical tools are just fine. He is showing a total lack of confidence which affects his decision making. That is a common trait among Kings forward prospects, very little thought is given to endorsing the youthful confidence of scorers - they have to learn to pay their checking dues before being given a shot in the role they were drafted to provide.

Kempe took years to find himself after being moved all around the lineup. Its no surprise that he broke through when finally given a consistent shot at a permanent scoring role. See Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, JAD, and Fagemo - all showing a lack of confidence at the NHL and being inserted into roles that don't match their skill sets or desires is very much part of that.

Point is, nothing is definite with Kupari yet. There could very well still be a first round talent in there if you can get help him maximize his identity.

Kupari's biggest flaw is that he holds on to the puck way longer than he needs to. Which means it gets turned over eventually.

He threw like 1 hit in the 2020/2021 Edmonton series that led directly to a goal but other than that he's allergic to contact.

Positive traits are his size and speed.

If he learns how to dish the puck off more, use his body to protect the puck, and figure out how to shoot to score he could be contributing 2nd liner in the NHL.

I think his scouting critiques have been pretty bang on--he never did learn how to use his teammates and he effectively has tunnel vision in from the red line in. BUT--with his size and speed he can still be an effective bottom sixer who has the potential to pop in some highlight reel goals with a good shot that will make you think he can be so much more, he's just soooo inconsistent.

I don't think any Kings fan would be surprised if he stayed a 20 point guy or ended up getting 20 goals. Dude is really all over the map. But I just don't think he's got good enough teammate vision/support IQ to be a bigtime offensive guy (and that's ok!).

This, however, is a terrific deal for him and WPG.

Reactions: Steve Zissou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad