Proposal: [WPG-EDM] Ehlers for RNH

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Winnipeg gets a good 2C under the same contract value.
Edmonton gets a speedy LW to play with McDavid or Draisaitl.

Ehlers: 6M per yr for 6yrs
RNH: 6M per yr for 2 yrs

Fair?
Who adds and how much if anyone does?

Jan 21, 2018
RNH already has chemistry with McDavid, that's pretty invaluable to the Oilers. No guarentee Ehlers will although he does sound like a great fit on paper and has the better contract.

RNH is a 40-50pt C on Edmonton, 70pt W with McDavid. Maybe he improves once he gets traded as we've seen that happen multiple times to other players, but again no guarentees he will do well in Winnipeg.

imo both teams keep their players but I'd still say Ehlers > RNH.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
It would make more sense for Edmonton to trade Nuge for a package of futures or to package future for Ehlers.

Having the added control on Ehlers is tempting but they seem pretty set on McDavid and Draisaitl play together.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
It would be nice to have RNH, but with RNH only having two years left I wouldn't give Ehlers straight up for him.
But with RNH contract ending the same year as the Seattle Expansion Draft, that’s one less player needing to be protected. Once the draft is over, if he’s still needed, you resign him or sign him as a UFA that July.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I brought up RNH as an option a year and a half ago for Winnipeg. Jets would need more as the 4 year gap for term greatly favours Edmonton.

RNH would be a very good fit as the desired 2C imo for Winnipeg. Ehlers is legitimate player in return for sure, and would mesh really well with McDavid, I also think Kyle Connor would as well.

Jets can't get a short term player in return for a top asset that has a lot of term left.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
But with RNH contract ending the same year as the Seattle Expansion Draft, that’s one less player needing to be protected. Once the draft is over, if he’s still needed, you resign him or sign him as a UFA that July.
That's presuming way too much too happen.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
"Get rid of that core player on a good contract so you don't have to protect him in the expansion draft". Strong sell.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Makes no sense for the Oilers. They will have 3 top 6 forwards with RNH and 3 top 6 forwards with Ehlers if they trade RNH for him. It doesn't address depth scoring and they lose RNH's positional versatility.

It makes more sense for Winnipeg because it gives them a needed #2C and they have plenty of depth on the wing even without Ehlers.
Value probably favors the Oilers a bit because of the term on Ehlers contract and age but doesn't make sense from a needs standpoint.

I'd entertain something around #8 for Ehlers but not sure if that's enough for the Jets.

Reactions: Jamin

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Winnipeg gets a good 2C under the same contract value.
Edmonton gets a speedy LW to play with McDavid or Draisaitl.

Ehlers: 6M per yr for 6yrs
RNH: 6M per yr for 2 yrs

Fair?
Who adds and how much if anyone does?

I'd rather keep RNH and make a different trade to acquire Ehlers. Your team has to give new deals to Laine, Connor and others. Making a lateral move doesn't help your team.

May be something like:

Ehlers, Lowry for JP, Khaira (RFA rights) Russell (cap), conditional 2020 second (Trade takes place after July 1; condition being if we make the playoffs, it becomes a first)

$8.9m to EDM | $6.5m (estimate) to WPG = $ $2.4m in savings for the Jets.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I'd rather keep RNH and make a different trade to acquire Ehlers. Your team has to give new deals to Laine, Connor and others. Making a lateral move doesn't help your team.

May be something like:

Ehlers, Lowry for JP, Khaira (RFA rights) Russell (cap), conditional 2020 second (Trade takes place after July 1; condition being if we make the playoffs, it becomes a first)

While JP is intriguing (due to he and Laines history) that package is not enough for Ehlers and Lowry... We are giving up the 2 best players in that deal, JP could become the best/2nd best but at this point in his development he just isnt. and $2.4m in savings is not enough for the drop off in talent. We can trade other players (Perreault, Kulikov) before we need to look at using Ehlers for cap dump...

Reactions: DRW204 and Huffer

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Pretty fair value wise but I think both teams decline. Winnipeg can't give up the better contract, Edmonton can't give up the better and more versatile player.

Reactions: Flair Hay

sens13

Mar 16, 2017

May be something like:

lol. so crap for a 30 goal scorer and you added lowry too? typical oiler's fan proposal. :laugh:

jp has done nothing so far. russel is crap. khaira is a nobody and a 2nd?

for a young 30 goal scorer signed longterm and 4c?

this proposal is so putrid I can't even breathe

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
RNH already has chemistry with McDavid, that's pretty invaluable to the Oilers. No guarentee Ehlers will although he does sound like a great fit on paper and has the better contract.

RNH is a 40-50pt C on Edmonton, 70pt W with McDavid. Maybe he improves once he gets traded as we've seen that happen multiple times to other players, but again no guarentees he will do well in Winnipeg.

Just a correction, but Nuge just put up 69 points playing 2nd line C with Lucic, Chaisson, Reider, Pulju and Caggiula.

Ehlers is a great player, but I think I keep Nuge for his (this year) higher scoring, better defense and position. We just need him to play a little less cautiously (like he did when younger) and realize his skating can make up for a blown forecheck... so that he has the faith to drive the offensive play more. Ehlers (being a winger and more offensively inclined) doesn't suffer from this over-responsibility.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
RNH is the better player, plays the more important position, and is critical to give us the versatility to play McDavid and Drai together, the biggest thing swinging things towards Ehlers favor is how long he is locked into that contract. I'm assuming we (the Oilers) can re-sign RNH and he's still plenty young, so I want to stick with the better player. I would like to add Ehlers to RNH, I think that is the start of a good 2nd line.

Would Jets fans be interested in a deal centered around Ehlers and Nurse?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
RNH can play the wing just fine it seems so i don't see why they'd trade RNH for Ehlers. only thing id see is that RNH is due 4 years earlier for a new deal

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
RNH is the better player, plays the more important position, and is critical to give us the versatility to play McDavid and Drai together, the biggest thing swinging things towards Ehlers favor is how long he is locked into that contract. I'm assuming we (the Oilers) can re-sign RNH and he's still plenty young, so I want to stick with the better player. I would like to add Ehlers to RNH, I think that is the start of a good 2nd line.

Would Jets fans be interested in a deal centered around Ehlers and Nurse?

Jets fans arent looking to trade Ehlers at all..... Everyone else keeps bringing him up because he is a good young player on a good contract (will be a great contract in a few years).

Reactions: north49er

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Just a correction, but Nuge just put up 69 points playing 2nd line C with Lucic, Chaisson, Reider, Pulju and Caggiula.

Ehlers is a great player, but I think I keep Nuge for his (this year) higher scoring, better defense and position. We just need him to play a little less cautiously (like he did when younger) and realize his skating can make up for a blown forecheck... so that he has the faith to drive the offensive play more. Ehlers (being a winger and more offensively inclined) doesn't suffer from this over-responsibility.

just a correction. 28 of his points came via mcdavid so he only put up 41 playing 2nd line C with those players.

Not saying he's not good but he's a 50-55 point centre. mcdavid inflates his stats.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
just a correction. 28 of his points came via mcdavid so he only put up 41 playing 2nd line C with those players.

Not saying he's not good but he's a 50-55 point centre. mcdavid inflates his stats.

This is true but it still makes no sense to trade him for Ehlers.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Sorry and I know you probably didn't intend this... but "40-50 pts C" put a bee in my bonnet.

In absolute terms: Nuge has 4 seasons in the NHL where played >70 games and he scored 69, 56, 56, and 43 points.
In "pace" terms, noting injured and strike shortened seasons: Nuge has played in 8 NHL seasons and has scored at > 50 point pace 6 of those 8 seasons. He's also scored at > 70 point pace in 4 of those 8 seasons.

He's very definitely a 55-65 point C, not a 40 to 50 point one.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Yeah, but that's one less really good player to protect. I wouldn't give up a good player now for less than optimum return just because of the expansion draft. There are tons of other things you can do at the expansion draft to fit players in.

As it stands the Oilers would need to add something due to age and contracts for this particular deal to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad