Post-Game Talk: Wow. We looked Good. (but we lost). That wasn't painful at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnomX

Oct 25, 2013
Reilly needs to go end to end every night lol... otherwise we're ****ed.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
My girlfriend upon learning we got Spaling in the Kessel trade:

"Oh my god, no! Phil would have definitely put that in!"

:cry:

The Leafs are definitely going to miss his goal scoring, but if you take a look at the entire work that Spaling's line put in, I'd rather take that for a full 82 games.

Structurally, I agree with everyone, I thought that was the best they had looked in years.

Just keep in mind, they won't be playing the best goalie in the world for every game and Bernier isn't going to play like that every game either. Although, he did calm down after that awful first goal.

- Really liked Harrington's game last night.
- Didn't love Arcobello & Marincin's game

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Also, Kadri looked unreal tonight. Don't understand the complaints.

What I'm looking for in Babcock this year is simple. I don't care about wins and losses. Just want to see a bit more structure, especially defensively and improvement in our young players, Kadri and Gardiner in particular.

If this happens, I'm happy.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
They (Canadiens) are a mid-level playoff team right now, they do not have a clear #1C and Patches is their only major goal-scorer, the rest are mostly middle-6ers with little finish.
Lots of truth there.
honestly you add a Kane or Kessel type to that team and it becomes incredibly dangerous.
You are the first person in the world to use the phrase "Kane or Kessel"
You make it sound like they have something to do with each other.
Kessel is more Kurt Browning than Kane.
Please.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I think what people mean is you exchange Price, still with a top 15 goalie, that team doesn't win that many game. They are an okay team riding the back of Price(by far the best goalie, if not player right now). IF with the Pens you replace Crosby with another top 15 center, the Pens are still a good team. You replace Ovechkin with a top 15 forward, the Caps are still a good team. On the other hand you replace Price and the Habs would struggle to make the playoffs.

I think it's okay for people to point out that a team is being carried by one player, and is not in itself a great team.

I'm surprised the Habs didn't do more to add some scoring to their line up over the summer. They have the best goalie in the NHL and a pretty good defence core. The east looks to be relatively week this year and if Montreal had more scoring they could easily be favourites to come out of the conference.

Maybe they should have went after Kessel.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Things that I want this year:
(1) Babcock to take control.
(2) Dump Salary
(3) Play the young guys when it suits them.
(4) Play Bernier ... decide if he's worth keeping.
(5) Trade Reimer whenever possible.
(6) Tank Nation
(7) Draft well

Things that I fear:
(1) 9th in the East.
(2) 8th in the East.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
We are losing the "right way" and we can rejoice?

?

I swear I woke up and the hockey world got weird overnight.

srTYyZ1BjBtGU.gif

Nobody is rejoicing.

LeafsEqualDaBest

Feb 2, 2015
I can't believe how optimistic some of you people are....

First of all, the the Leafs looked "good" because the Habs have been playing that style of game for a while now. They don't dominate possession, and they allow bad angle shots that Price can easily take care of, then counter-attack. It's a type of system that makes turds look like all-stars.

And people talk about Price winning the game for the Habs when the Leafs MVP was the ****ing post and whoever saved a sure goal from the line with their skate. The Habs hit like 4 posts last night, plus they got a goal disallowed (which was the right call, but last year a goal like that probably would have stood).

It's fine to have a good system and to implement it well, and I thought our players actually looked composed out there. But we lack talent, and that is the big problem

LeafsEqualDaBest

Feb 2, 2015
I think what people mean is you exchange Price, still with a top 15 goalie, that team doesn't win that many game. They are an okay team riding the back of Price(by far the best goalie, if not player right now). IF with the Pens you replace Crosby with another top 15 center, the Pens are still a good team. You replace Ovechkin with a top 15 forward, the Caps are still a good team. On the other hand you replace Price and the Habs would struggle to make the playoffs.

I think it's okay for people to point out that a team is being carried by one player, and is not in itself a great team.

That's so stupid. Say what you want about the Habs, but they have the best goalie in the world and are stacked on D, where they also arguably have one of the top 5 defencemen as well. Whether you like it or not, Price is part of the team, but the team's style of play is also catered towards Price being there. With another goalie, there's no way the Habs allow as many shots. Their style would change considerably. Even without a superstar forward, I'd be scared of their potential in the long run. Imagine if Therrien actually gives Galchenyuk a bigger role and *gasp* allows him to develop......I don't even want to think of that. I don't think they are cup contenders but with the right acquisition and a healthy team.....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We are losing the "right way" and we can rejoice?

?

I swear I woke up and the hockey world got weird overnight.

When a team plays the "right way" by controlling the puck, and the play through puck possession, then the odds favour a more favourable outcome with a team giving itself a better chance to win by that style.

Its not simply viewing this as a 1 off example, seeing a loss in the boxscore and writing it off as meaningless, but rather promising in the big picture.

If Carey Price is not in the opposition net and Leafs play that same game/style I say they could realistically win 6 of every 10 games or play .600 hockey playing the "right way". That equates to a 98.6 point season over 82 games on average = playoff opportunity by playing that style.

When you outshoot, outplay, outwork and outchange your opponent you are not going to win every game, but you should win more than you lose as the sample size increases.

Lets not forget everyone would suggest this is a bottom 5 team on talent level currently and as that increases while playing this way it will be even easier to come out on top of the final score.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
this season is going to be less painful if we lose like this..must say im pleasantly surprised...leafs were in it the whole game so i didnt fast forward through any of it...been a while:)

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

First of all, the the Leafs looked "good" because the Habs have been playing that style of game for a while now. They don't dominate possession, and they allow bad angle shots that Price can easily take care of, then counter-attack. It's a type of system that makes turds look like all-stars.

And people talk about Price winning the game for the Habs when the Leafs MVP was the ****ing post and whoever saved a sure goal from the line with their skate. The Habs hit like 4 posts last night, plus they got a goal disallowed (which was the right call, but last year a goal like that probably would have stood).

It's fine to have a good system and to implement it well, and I thought our players actually looked composed out there. But we lack talent, and that is the big problem

You're talking as if posts actually mean anything. They count for about as much as a shot wide of the net.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Things that I want this year:
(1) Babcock to take control.
(2) Dump Salary
(3) Play the young guys when it suits them.
(4) Play Bernier ... decide if he's worth keeping.
(5) Trade Reimer whenever possible.
(6) Tank Nation
(7) Draft well

Things that I fear:
(1) 9th in the East.
(2) 8th in the East.

you're scared of making the playoffs?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
When a team plays the "right way" by controlling the puck, and the play through puck possession, then the odds favour a more favourable outcome with a team giving itself a better chance to win by that style.

Its not simply viewing this as a 1 off example, seeing a loss in the boxscore and writing it off as meaningless, but rather promising in the big picture.

If Carey Price is not in the opposition net and Leafs play that same game/style I say they could realistically win 6 of every 10 games or play .600 hockey playing the "right way". That equates to a 98.6 point season over 82 games on average = playoff opportunity by playing that style.

When you outshoot, outplay, outwork and outchange your opponent you are not going to win every game, but you should win more than you lose as the sample size increases.

Lets not forget everyone would suggest this is a bottom 5 team on talent level currently and as that increases while playing this way it will be even easier to come out on top of the final score.

Note that approximately 2-3 Top 10 Corsi teams will miss the playoffs this year. I don't care about winning keep away games but I get what you are saying. The odds are better.

Personally, I think good possession numbers likely come from having a good team. I don't think a team can play keep away and become a Cup contender. They need the talent to go along with it to take possession into dangerous areas and convert.

My favourite stat is Goal Differential not because of what it tells us but because of how we could use in the same way as folks use Corsi.

Rank Corsi teams and see that you have a good representation of playoff teams from those that are good at Corsi… with some major exceptions but we can call them outliers.

Rank all teams according to goal differential and you get something even more impressive. The Top 16 times in goal differential will make the playoffs with but 1 or 2 exceptions. If you outscore your opponents, you generally win and you have an even better chance to make the playoffs.

But it's kind of useless isn't it? I mean going out with a plan to outscore the opponent is the plan that every team has. Same as playing keep away. It comes down to talent, drive, determination, and team unity (here we go with the Beards again) to make that happen. Those stats are a function of what happened.

I liked the way the Leafs played last night. They had speed and effort. That's all we can ask for at this stage.

Babcock won't have results like Detroit until the Leafs have talent like Detroit.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.

To be honest, if lacking talent is our real problem, then that means we're pretty much exactly where we're aiming to be.

A good system, hard work and improvements, but a season that allows us to draft some more talent.

Because over the next 1-3 years, I think the talent aspect will be a much, much smaller issue. If we can keep the improvements going with the system and on-ice efforts, then we'll be in a damn good place.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
play well, lose games, draft high...everything is going well

I guess that's true, but if they continue to play as well as they did last night, they may start winning games and maybe more than they lose, Price was the reason for the Leafs loss.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To be honest, if lacking talent is our real problem, then that means we're pretty much exactly where we're aiming to be.

A good system, hard work and improvements, but a season that allows us to draft some more talent.

Because over the next 1-3 years, I think the talent aspect will be a much, much smaller issue. If we can keep the improvements going with the system and on-ice efforts, then we'll be in a damn good place.

You can now see where you could insert the future and have the team move forward.

Replace the aging Boyes currently on the top line (#1RW spot) and replace the departed Kessel offense with Marner making Leafs top line..

JVR -- Kadri -- Marner

Remove and replace Bozak and Lupul on the 2nd line in time with Nylander and Brown

XXXX - Nylander -- Brown

and you can see Leafs addressing the talent level issue with prospects already in the system just currently still under construction. :) If that is the configuration in a few years and the Leafs continue to play Babcock's system you can begin to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I thought Bernier looked incredibly shaky at times. He came up with some good saves but without the help of a few bars and Gardiner's foot they were lucky it wansn't 5-1.

Reilly and Gardiner I thought were phenomenal, they took the green light from Babcock and really ran with it. That could make up a little bit of the scoring if we can get a few guys to finish the play. I thought all the d-men looked pretty decent - Harrington didn't look out of place at all.

With a hot goalie this team could pull off some wins! The Leafs outplayed the Habs for easily 80-90% of that game. They just happened to get Price'd!! The guy drives me crazy but you have to admit he is one hell of a goalie.

With Kessel gone we can say goodbye to the pretty highlight goals but I could see this team potting a lot of deflections, rebounds and goals from just crashing the net. I'm hoping they'll adjust, they;ll realize Kessel is gone and they'll make up some of the goals.

YOYOTCROSTER*

Toronto was the better team watching from golds at ACC (shots and possession prove it out). Kadri outplayed Plekanec all night long. Toronto defence played a strong game. If not for the Bernier softie in the first we got a point out of that game and maybe 2. However Kadri was playing a low level centre. I will wait until Friday night when he plays an elite world class player in Datysuk to reserve judgement but I think he has progressed over last year when Plekanec would have eaten his sandwich all night long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad