Wow, NHL not going to the Olympics!!!

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Again, I'd rip off what the Soccer world is doing. Soccer at the Olympics is a U-23 tournament that allows every team to have no more than three players over that age limit.

I don't care much for the 3 'veterans' rule but a U-23 tournament could be interesting. The NHL wouldn't need to shut down their business while the Olympics are going on since not THAT many teams would be penalized for missing a few players under the age of 23 every four years.

It would also make for a more competitive tournament.

Most of the players would be from the NHL. If you are going to do that and allow NHLers to go in that situation then there is no point to not allowing all NHL players to go.

Sending McDavid, Matthews and Eichel but not Crosby Malkin and Ovechkin doesn't make any sense for the NHL.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Most of the players would be from the NHL. If you are going to do that and allow NHLers to go in that situation then there is no point to not allowing all NHL players to go.

Yes but it also means the NHL's best players would typically not be there (Phenoms like McDavid and Matthews are obviously few and far between)

I think it strikes a perfect balance of the NHL keeping a hold of their stars and the Olympic tournament still putting up a fantastic product.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes but it also means the NHL's best players would typically not be there (Phenoms like McDavid and Matthews are obviously few and far between)

I think it strikes a perfect balance of the NHL keeping a hold of their stars and the Olympic tournament still putting up a fantastic product.

It will weaken the smaller hockey nations to restrict ages of players.

Those countries with the most number of players (e.g. Russia, Canada, US, Sweden) will benefit because they don't rely on a superior individual generation of good players but have pretty solid depth across all age groups.

I'd argue that the Finns (maybe not right now but someday), Czechs, Slovaks and other hockey nations like Denmark, Switzerland and Germany will be less competitive.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
So my question is who is going to play for us then....

Like WTF TBH all decent hockey players are funnelled through nhl channels from 15-16 years old..

They have a monopoly on our good players.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
So my question is who is going to play for us then....

Like WTF TBH all decent hockey players are funnelled through nhl channels from 15-16 years old..

They have a monopoly on our good players.

There's many Canadians playing the European leagues. I'm guessing the roster will look a lot like Team Canada at the Spengler cup.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So basically something nobody really cares to watch.

I'm a bit of a geek, but I freaking love the Spengler Cup. It's great, wide open hockey, and I love seeing the names of guys of whom you sort of lost track. ("Oh, so that's what happened to Gregory Campbell!") TBH, it's better hockey than the World Juniors, but just doesn't get the hype. I'll be all over the Olympic tournament, and the best part is that it won't wipe out three weeks of NHL hockey in the process. Win/win.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
They should not even bother holding an Olympic Men's Tournament if it is like the Spengler Cup. What a joke.

Is the NHL going to allow AHLers?

The only cool thing I can think of that could come from this is Alfredsson decides to get in shape and Captain the Swedish team at 45 years old for 2 and a half weeks.

That would be awesome if very unlikely.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
There's many Canadians playing the European leagues. I'm guessing the roster will look a lot like Team Canada at the Spengler cup.

Yeah, Spengler Cup with a few inserts from NCAA and World Jrs.
That'll be both Team USA and Team Canada.

Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech would look like the teams that they put in the EHT I'd assume.

The other teams just pull entirely from their domestic leagues without the boost from the one or two NHL players they have.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Then have the players pay for insurance.

I'm quite frankly surprised that many Sens fans gloss over that aspect. Do you guys remember how the 2006 Olympics probably cost us a Stanley Cup? (See Hasek's groin)

It's insulting for an owner to not only have his business shut down for three weeks but also risk injuries to his star players for absolutely nothing in return.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I'm quite frankly surprised that many Sens fans gloss over that aspect. Do you guys remember how the 2006 Olympics probably cost us a Stanley Cup? (See Hasek's groin)

It's insulting for an owner to not only have his business shut down for three weeks but also risk injuries to his star players for absolutely nothing in return.

Nothing in return?

How about keeping not only his employees, but his customers happy too.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Then have the players pay for insurance.

I understand the players really want to go but there's more to life than getting what you want by virtue of wanting it.

The players wouldn't have to, insurance isn't an issue, the IIHF has said it will cover it.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The 3 week break is a issue maybe shorten it to 10-12 days it will be more appealing for owners and fans.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The 3 week break is a issue maybe shorten it to 10-12 days it will be more appealing for owners and fans.

They've tried asking for that in the past, but the IOC was pretty insistent on a longer tournament with more teams, so it's now about as short as it can be. This is the problem in a nutshell - as big and powerful as the NHL thinks it is, the IOC is much bigger. They do things THEIR way, period, and have zero #$%$# to give if the NHL doesn't like it.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
They've tried asking for that in the past, but the IOC was pretty insistent on a longer tournament with more teams, so it's now about as short as it can be. This is the problem in a nutshell - as big and powerful as the NHL thinks it is, the IOC is much bigger. They do things THEIR way, period, and have zero #$%$# to give if the NHL doesn't like it.

They could have the 6-8 top ranked in one group and another 9-18 in another the Nhl get there wish a short schedule and the IOC gets there wish 20 plus teams.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The people to lobby are the big sponsors/advertisers like auto companies, Coke, McDonald's, American Express.

If Bettman got a few of those CEOs calling NBC and the IOC and saying that NHL player's not being there will significantly reduce viewership to one of the two premiere events of the Olympics. And say they have to consider of they are going to need to pay less for their advertisements. And propose letting the NHL use all the video they want to but have a Coke or McDonald's or whatever logo in the corner of all the videos the NHL uses.

That is a solution. Even if it would be hard to do. Bettman is certainly a big enough player to at least get the ear of some of the biggest sponsors of the Olympics. They all have deals with the NHL as well.
This is also another real good point,the nhl owners want their cut .And I cant say i blame them ,they have all the risk .Yet none of the gravy .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad