Wouldn't Ron Wilson have been way more successful with today's lineup?

delled

Oct 3, 2009
Don't get me wrong, absolutely glad we got of Hanta Yo. But I think with his Run & Gun style combined with the great supporting cast we have these days would translate to more wins for him. I was thinking about this mainly because of the ridiculous amount of turnovers we have yet we've generally outscored opponents. There's times I forget that we don't really play Run & Gun, but it feels like it because of how good our defence is at transitioning combined with our offence.

Or do you think we'd have twice as many turnovers under Hanta?

Avec Fromage*

This team is extremely sloppy, inconsistent and has no apparent defensive system. Sure sounds like a Ron Wilson-coached team. Wasn't Carlyle supposed to fix these issues?

DaveT83*

Yeah minus a few small exceptions this is pretty much still a run/gun system.

Ron would have made better press conferences -

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
What makes a great coach? Great goaltending and this seems to being being proved correct this year. I agree with the OP this team seems so much like what we saw with Ron Wilson it is scary. I have to wonder if the tandem of Bernier and Reimer were both here when the 18 wheeler went of the road, would Wilson still be here as well?

This is not a puck possession team, a tough team or a defense first team as promised by Carlyle. This is a team that plays rope-a-dope until they get a scoring chance. So far the goalies are absorbing most of the hits and the the Leafs chances are being buried at a good rate. As many have said this will only get you so far and then driver of that rig may fall asleep again.

Hopefully with Thursdays lost the team will get the slap upside their head that they need. Barring that with Clarkson, Fraser and Kulemin coming back maybe that will help be the help they need.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Ron Wilson would not dress Orr, McLaren or Fraser.
Ron Wilson SUCKS and would not succeed Randy Carlyle with any line-up.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Randy is an average coach.

We have not improved defensively since Ron Wilson was fired. Our special teams are better but he doesn't take care of those, the assistants do.

I don't think Carlyle is going to last more than the next season if we're as unprepared going into games as we are now.

Don't get me wrong, I love being 6-2 but that could change in a matter of days with the way we have played.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Agreed, PK and PP have been night and day since Carlyle took over. Especially the PK. In Anaheim Carlyle always had a lethal PP also.

This.

**** Ron Wilson. There's a reason his never mentioned there's a coaching vacancy. The game has passed him by.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Of course. Ron Wilson won elsewhere. Wilson had horribly erratic goaltending and defenses that sported gems like Jeff Finger, Brett Lebda, Garnet Exelby and Mike Komisarek. And forward lines sporting duds like Jason Blake, Tim Connolly, Matt Lombardi, Lee Stempniak and Colby Armstrong. The veteran presence was provided by Richard Wallin, Wayne Primeau, Jamal Mayers. Name equivalent duds to those players on this team's current roster? Plus on Wilson's teams, marginal talents like Christian Hanson, Luke Caputi, Daryl Boyce and John Mitchell were part of the team's youth.

For those who can step back for a second and look at the team a little more objectively, it's obvious that this current team still has remnants of the same problems that plagued the Wilson's years hidden by better offensive skill and better goaltending.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
No thanks. RW refused to play his rookies. Had his favourites,and regularly threw players under the bus. He would refuse to play any grit in the line-up. Players like Orr, McLaren, Fraser, Broll, Bodie would be rotting in the AHL, and the face washing and bullying of our skilled players after every whistle would continue.

Our penalty kill and power play would still be hovering around 25th-30th in the league, and all our players would be sporting black-eyes. I'll pass...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ron wilson screwed himself by not playing kadri and reimer. Its his own fault.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
It's revisionism to suggest that Ron Wilson was the lone man behind Kadri spending longer in the AHL. It was the GM who signed Tim Connolly and acquired Matthew Lombardi and Dave Steckel taking those center ice spots. There seems to be this strange assumption that Kadri hasn't gotten better, that he was always ready for playing center in the NHL.

As for Reimer, I'm confused how Ron Wilson had anything negative to do with him. He was 22 when he made his NHL debut with less than 80 games of pro experience. He stunk in his sophomore season struggling after a concussion. If James Reimer hadn't regressed in 2011-12 due to an injury, Ron Wilson would probably still be the coach of this team.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
I always felt like Wilson was trying to squeeze blood from a stone with the rosters he was given, so putrid were they. You can put that on Burke and MLSE who demanded immediate success from him. For what it's worth, the team did play demonstrably better defense last year than years previously, and it looks like a regression has occurred so far in this young season. Everything is getting masked by a stellar PP/PK and Jon Bernier.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Slightly off topic but has anyone heard of what happened to Ron? Seems like the guy just fell of the face of the earth.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think this question is unfair as we do not have a full regular line up. if we had everyone in the line up, and it's January and it's still the way it is - then I think you can ask that.

and I have to ask - I'd rather have "average" Randy Carlyle then Ron Wilson

I think Ron's pretty much retired. After having an entire stadium scream at you to be fired, I'd take some years off as well.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
If he only let the young guys play he would have been alright. The way he handled the goaltending was the reason alone as well as his handling of Kadri.

Carlyle is at least giving young players a chance. He has also improved pk and pp. Ron Wilson had decent pp but no concept of penalty kill.

For those that aksed about Ron I remember something where he was spending time down in south and travelling... Think he owns a yacht in Florida. Probably taking a little time off.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think this question is unfair as we do not have a full regular line up. if we had everyone in the line up, and it's January and it's still the way it is - then I think you can ask that.

and I have to ask - I'd rather have "average" Randy Carlyle then Ron Wilson

I think Ron's pretty much retired. After having an entire stadium scream at you to be fired, I'd take some years off as well.

Besides the special teams. The Biggest difference between Wilson and Carlyle is one makes players accountable, the other does not.

In addition, under Carlyle, we are a more difficult team to play against.

This team plays for pride, the Leafs logo had been pushed around and stepped on by teams under Wilson. Carlyle put a stop to this immediately.

Their approaches couldn't be any different. Last season with basically the same roster, the team improved, it was basically the change in coaches that was the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad