Would you want the sabres to draft both sams this year and how would you pull it off.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The only way I see the Sabres getting both Sams is if the Isles give up the pick this year and the Sabres trade up from 5 to get the 1st pick.

But, that isn't going to happen.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
1. Do the Sabres have any proven top line players on their roster? No.

2. Do we have prospects that have distinguished themselves enough to believe they are top line players? No. Even Girgs most of you have slotting in the 3rd line center role, or top 6 winger. None.

We have such a plethora of decent prospects and picks coming up that I HOPE that the brass is thinking of being very bold.

Remember, they told us that difference makers are found at the top of the draft. IMO, this is the year to really, really be bold. Personally, I could care less about every draft pick we have outside of the first round, and anyone not named (Girgs, Risto or Zardarov) should be made available. No matter what we do this offseason, we are going to suck next year, and suck to the point of being the worst team again next year....we just have no one who could possibly carry us on their back out of the basement...no one, or combo of such.

As others have pointed out, if you are going to miss the playoffs next year, who is going to trade their first round pick next year in that "really, really deep draft?" No one.

But this year, draft class 2014, there still are several quality players, difference makers.

I look back at our draft history and marvel that we have not had a top 4 pick since 87 and Turgeon...that is freaking unbelievable. I then think of Vanek, and his #5 slot, the Islanders spot this year. I can not see one reason why we shouldn't do everything possible to get the Isles pick and Edmonton's, not one.

I keep reading about next year, next year when discussing the islanders pick but we will already be in the Eichel/McDavid top two barring a miracle. I say let this be the defining moment/year for the Buffalo Sabres....I say all in this year, come away with 3 of the top 5 picks.

Last year Edmonton's new GM said they were going to be bold, they were going to deliver. That they were going to take that next step, they were going to make a signature move....none of it happened. As an organization, they need a player that can make a difference...NOW. They can't afford to wait and develop another player, as they've been a laughing stock organization for a bunch of years. They're ripe for a monster deal this year. We all know what needs to happen for them, they need a offensively skilled defenseman....we all know that player is named Tyler Myers. He works for them on so many levels, the time is just right.

We have a GM that has no strings to any (well, he did trade for a few already) players on the roster, and we do not know his evaluation of our players.

Bold move....Myers and the 3rd pick are the principles, work out the details. It should be a done deal.

As for the Islanders pick, same thing. The entire Islander's fanbase knows they're on the hook either this years or next, f' it, give them some picks, a prospect, Enroth, make it happen.

Seriously, there is no reason why we can't come out of this draft with both SAMs and a winger.....all drafted higher than we've picked in over 25 years (sans Vanek).

If we picked 3 Vanek caliber players this year, that would solidify the team for years, adding to our already deep pool. Then knowing we are getting either Eichel or McDavid next year because we have no chance at getting out of the basement next year......I'm all in for this draft, you can call it a weak draft class but almost every year the top 5 are solid NHLers, most are team leaders, three top five picks completely changes a franchise fortunes....it's that simple.

We have the ammo, there really are only 3 untouchables...well 4 considering 2015 #1 pick....it's not like we'd have to sell the farm to twist the islanders pick, or the Edmonton deal....they are all good for each franchise, just need a GM (or complete brain trust from owner on down) to say get it done....

This is the year....2014 draft class....3 top 5 picks.....both Reinhart and Bennett, and one of Del Colle and Draisail....there is no reason why we shouldn't do it.

(Obviously, Myers is good, and is going to be a stud, maybe a Chara class dman but gotta give to get, he addresses that teams needs, and he's not going to be the difference maker on D for this team over Risto or Zaradov.)

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Maybe I shouldn't have used "stature", and should have just said "size". Of course, you understood the point being made.

Based on how you've talked about Draisaitl and compared him with Kopitar, I had no reason to not assume you meant what you said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad