Would you want the sabres to draft both sams this year and how would you pull it off.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I think it comes down to what the Isles decide to do with the 1st. If they give it up this year then you have to make a serious bid for it. Panthers still want a top 10 pick this year, so outside of that I don't know what else we could do.

Possibly the Ehrhoff to Ducks for #10+ and then swing that to Panthers?

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Easy way... trade our 2015 1st and this years second. (I would never do)
Smart way- Ehrhoff, Stafford/Stewart, Blues 2015 1st.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
If the Panthers take Ekblad, trade Myers to Edm for their pick and it's a done deal....

You could also leverage the Isles pick, plus say Foligno to Edmonton.....

Hodgson + St Louis's 1st in 2015.....

If I tried to get both Sam's, I would then try to get the Isles pick this year too, and have 3 top 5 picks this year. Both Sams and one of Del Colle or Draisaili would be awesome going forward. You'd have to say that's half of your top 6 for the next ten years.

Pipe dream but possible with all the picks/prospects/young guys we have and we have no idea what Murray really thinks of guys like Ennis, Hodgson, Myers, Foligno, etc. Would take some balls but it's possible.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Ehrhoff, Pysyk, St. Louis 1st to Edmonton for #3?

Add Grigorenko/Stewart?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
No, but I wouldn't mind if we got one of the Sam's and one of LD or MDC. Two Sam's is redundant.

How? They are completely different players. Having both would not be redundant even remotely. I can't even comprehend you're logic here.

And to anwser the op question of course I would want both, but teams don't trade away top 3 picks often.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
How? They are completely different players. Having both would not be redundant even remotely. I can't even comprehend you're logic here.

And to anwser the op question of course I would want both, but teams don't trade away top 3 picks often.

They are both the same stature, they are both the same position. Size wins in the NHL.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
They are both the same stature, they are both the same position. Size wins in the NHL.

Thats a load of crap. Not every player needs to be big, they are the same size as most top forwards.

MacKinnon, O'Reilly and Duchene are all the same size and same position. Good players win in the NHL.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Thats a load of crap.

MacKinnon, O'Reilly and Duchene are all the same size and same position. Good players win in the NHL.

And there's that. Draisaitl is better than Bennet. MDC = Bennett. You are right, good players win. Good players who are also big are best.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

You have to learn to ignore the gibberish. Everyone (almost) knows they are not the same type of player.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Most busts in the draft are because teams overrate size, most top players that come out of the draft and reach their potential are around 5-11 to 6-1. Do you need size? Sure but if your have a big mobile defense and some big players up front then you can definitely win with your top forwards being 6-0.

Guys like Zetterberg, Giroux, Tavares, Datsyuk, Hall, Stamkos, Seguin, Crosby, Duchene and Couture are not big guys, but they are some of the best players in the game.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Most busts in the draft are because teams overrate size, most top players that come out of the draft and reach their potential are around 5-11 to 6-1. Do you need size? Sure but if your have a big mobile defense and some big players up front then you can definitely win with your top forwards being 6-0.

Guys like Zetterberg, Giroux, Tavares, Datsyuk, Hall, Stamkos, Seguin, Crosby, Duchene and Couture are not big guys, but they are some of the best players in the game.

and getting both Sam's could get you both....

The "trade Myers" scenarios with Edmonton were always around taking Ekblad... Im not a big fan of Ekblad... and Im not a fan of "giving up" on Myers...

But if the scenario is trade Myers and draft BOTH Sam's... I'm as close to in as i'll ever get...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm fine with just one, I don't want to waste assets on this years draft as no one has said anything special about this draft really. It's not a good draft year to waste assets. Its only tempting to get 2 picks in the top 3 now because the draft is around the corner however I rather keep the assets and have the fire power to move around in 2015.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm fine with just one, I don't want to waste assets on this years draft as no one has said anything special about this draft really. It's not a good draft year to waste assets. Its only tempting to get 2 picks in the top 3 now because the draft is around the corner however I rather keep the assets and have the fire power to move around in 2015.

I think this is exactly the kind of thinking that is why we won't be able to do it in 2015. I think if we have the chance now to add another potential franchise forward on the high end, dynamic top 6 player on the low end, we do it. If Florida or Ekblad wants some of our crap, that is. Ehrhoff, Stewart, Grigorenko, Armia, lower picks and more are all in play for me.

If it takes Myers, that I would have to think about.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
If we have 5, I'd rather just pick at 2 and 5 than give up the assets to move to 3 [or 1]. Reinhart and Drais was my dream duo heading into the season, and nothing has changed.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'd like both. I wouldn't hate Dal Colle or Drasaitl, but I can just see the Sams doing so well. Bennet's age makes him hard to pass on, and Reinhart is supposed to be "the guy" of the draft, which is rarely pegged incorrectly. He is a "cerebral" player which I think sometimes is a title put on guys that aren't great at putting up points, but the fact that he does that as well makes him a great prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad