Would you want McDavid in the Western Conference?

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I'd like to see McDavid drafted by a Western Conference team. Reason for this is I'd like to watch him play the Kings at Staples more than just once a year. The last super-superstar to play in the West was Gretzky. The East earlier had Orr, has since had Lemieux and now has Crosby (a drop yes, but still a SS).

The one negative, and a big one at this is the team that gets him will most likely in time become a juggernaut, i.e. even tougher to get to the finals.

Anyway, I'd just like to see a super-superstar at Staples more than once a year.

scryan

May 1, 2013
How many people have actually watched this guy play?

I am not saying he is anything other then what he is touted to be... But I see a LOT of people talking about how amazing he is, and its just not possible that many people have access to watch his games? Is everyone just going nuts over what other scouts have said and the youtube clips they have watched?

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005

I am not saying he is anything other then what he is touted to be... But I see a LOT of people talking about how amazing he is, and its just not possible that many people have access to watch his games? Is everyone just going nuts over what other scouts have said and the youtube clips they have watched?

Hey, he could be the next Ryan Nugent-Hopkins! :sarcasm:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
A better poll would be to ask McDavid if he would want to play in the west.

He'll just get pummeled like any other player against the Kings.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
We'll see what his impact will be down the line, however the hype is well earned, he has 51 points in 18 games. That's insane even for a junior league. Better pace than either Tavares or Stamkos posted. And yes better pace than what Crosby had in his draft year. Not saying it means anything, the hype by itself certainly doesn't mean anything but at least he deserved the hype with his performance.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
I see weird polls began already before the season's over. I'd be happy to see McDavid in West, though not Edmonton but like Arizona to secure their franchise. Implosion of hfboards would be icing on cake.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yes and No. Yes because I would like to see him more than twice a year. No in that I don't want the Kings to play him more than twice a year.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I see weird polls began already before the season's over. I'd be happy to see McDavid in West, though not Edmonton but like Arizona to secure their franchise. Implosion of hfboards would be icing on cake.

LOL, I agree, Arizona would be a great place for him. They'd have to deal Keith Yandle soon for picks/prospects and then Shane Done, their leader, would have to take some time off for this to happen.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Since I'm a geek, I actually planned a few days in Detroit as part of my September vacation. Along with Tigers/Red Wings games, I drove across the border to Windsor to watch McDavid, and also catch the US U-18 team in Ann Arbor.

10703709_10102644590102064_5112720715260514886_n.jpg

10624732_10102644590306654_6328707295935629817_n.jpg

Those two goals in person were tremendous to watch live. Windsor kept McDavid off the scoresheet in the first period but I was really impressed by his defensive tenacity. I saw him in the tunnel before warmups and he looks like your average teenager. Definitely has room to add some muscle.

I was under the impression that McDavid was the best prospect since Crosby but not quite as good as Sid was as a 17 year old. Sportsnet had a magazine with McDavid on the cover with a tabloid headline "BETTER THAN CROSBY" but that seemed more of a tactic to sell more issues.

The next day I saw a USHL game with the US U-18 team and Youngstown. Youngstown has a 2015 prospect named Kyle Connor who most have top 15. US U-18 had a few 2015 guys (Colin White, Jordan Greenway, and Jeremy Bracco) plus 2016 (Auston Matthews, Matt Tkachuk). Just from those two games, McDavid was on another level by comparison.

On a side note, I had a fun interaction with a border patrol agent when I was driving into Canada. He didn't quite understand how somebody from San Diego was going to Windsor to watch a hockey prospect.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
You went to DETROIT on vacation? :amazed:

It's better than Cleveland right? :D

Technically I stayed with my friend in Ann Arbor and that area's pretty nice. Only time I spent in Detroit was for the Tigers/Red Wings. If you're a prospect geek, it's actually a pretty nice hub and a few NHL head scouts are stationed in Ann Arbor. Plymouth is 20-25 minutes away, the US U-18 team is in Ann Arbor, Windsor is about an hour away, and the Wolverines are in the area.

10649600_10102646120075984_694940405168514509_n.jpg

US U-18 game was crawling with NHL scouts. Pictured is Auston Matthews (Arizona native) who is the early favorite to go #1 in 2016.

1622042_10102648896846314_2288906868478507938_n.jpg

The entire back row was scouts. Off hand I can remember Rick Pracey (Colorado's head scout who was fired about a month ago), Randy Sexton (Pittsburgh), Ville Siren (Columbus), Trevor Timmins (Montreal), and George McPhee (couldn't figure out who he's working for now). Keith Tkachuk was there watching his son play too.

942394_10102643357477254_7047410839573083182_n.jpg

They also have an open skate at Yost (Michigan's home arena) on Fridays. Definitely was cool to skate there. Heck I even snuck in a half of a Michigan/Minnesota football game since tickets were so cheap.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
12 Nays to 9 Yahs, kinda close with a day to go. And the way the standing look, though it is early, Edmonton is the West's only hope :nod:

Do it Edmonton, Do it! aka - Go Oilers Go :naughty:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Me, 5 times live. This season he has been MUCH more impressive than what I thought he was the 2 years previous. Saw him 3 times his first 2 seasons and thought he played more like Kane than Crosby, this year... He looks identical to Sid's play style.

Have also seen Eichel twice, once for BU once for USA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad