Proposal: Would you trade Zadina++ for Kopitar?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Alex Barkov? Yes! 30 plus year old Anze Kopitar.... No! Can't even consider it at all! Barkov is a top 10 C everyone knows about but no one talks about that's 23 or 24.

If we're talking Alex Barkov.... They can have any four players in combination outside of Larkin/Cholowski. Prolly a tall task to come up with four Red Wings they'd want over Barkov without those two. (Florida.)

I think the best I can think of is Mantha/AA/Hronek/Zadina/2nd/4th rdp for Barkov. Build around Larkin/Barkov/Rassmussen/Cholowski. Idk, not bad. Crap shoot long shot. Realistically might have to throw a mid round pick in there too, but you do all you can to keep the 1st rdp so you can possibly back into Jack Hughes as well.

Anyone Wings go after has to be under 25 and willing to sign long-term others wise no one knows what your doing or trying to accomplish.

Most realistic thing is Wings will sell players off the next two years and draft, or intend to draft well.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
OK, this is a wild idea in spirit of Jimmy Devellano’s recent interview. In normal circumstances players of Kopitar’s level are not available. However, Kings have an aging and expensive roster that is somehow worse than us in the standings. They look like a team that needs rebuilding but are saddled with 2 10m+ contracts. Maybe they’re looking to sell off their players to kick start the rebuild.

If we want the trade to makes sense for us, we can’t sell Larkin and Cholowski. That means Doughty is a no-go: 28 year old Norris winner commands a premium even signed @ 11m for 8 next years. Kopitar is 3 years older and costs 10m for next 6 years - maybe the Kings are willing to cut him if he waives his NMC. But there are no young 1Cs available on the market - the closest things potentially on the trading block are Nylander and Draisatl and even then it doesn’t make sense from financial standpoint for their current teams.

What if we offer a package like Zadina+Veleno+AA and start talking from there? It will hurt to lose so many young players but a 1-2 punch of Kopitar and Larkin is good enough for a contender: build from there and try to make a cup run in the next 5 years until Larkin needs resigning and Kopitar contract ends. Kings won’t like it but 3 young assets + their 1st round pick this year can probably make a foundation to restart contending while Doughty is still good. Everyone is unhappy so it is a good enough proposal - thoughts?
OMG this is ridiculous.
Fail. Like, massive fail.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Alex Barkov? Yes! 30 plus year old Anze Kopitar.... No! Can't even consider it at all! Barkov is a top 10 C everyone knows about but no one talks about that's 23 or 24.

If we're talking Alex Barkov.... They can have any four players in combination outside of Larkin/Cholowski. Prolly a tall task to come up with four Red Wings they'd want over Barkov without those two. (Florida.)

I think the best I can think of is Mantha/AA/Hronek/Zadina/2nd/4th rdp for Barkov. Build around Larkin/Barkov/Rassmussen/Cholowski. Idk, not bad. Crap shoot long shot. Realistically might have to throw a mid round pick in there too, but you do all you can to keep the 1st rdp so you can possibly back into Jack Hughes as well.

Anyone Wings go after has to be under 25 and willing to sign long-term others wise no one knows what your doing or trying to accomplish.

Most realistic thing is Wings will sell players off the next two years and draft, or intend to draft well.

No, that'd gut too much Top 6 offensive depth & potential elite depth. Barkov would be great but I'd rather do more picks, not young cost controlled players.

Reactions: Snuggs

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
No. If Zadina develops in the next few years into a game changing talent, we could have 10 to 15 years from him. Kopitar doesnt even fit in the salary cap.. and in the very best case scenario puts us back to 4 years ago... fighting for a wild card spot to get knocked out and pick just outside the lottery. No thanks, not again.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I feel comfortable staying the course, as painful as it is, I think Larkin + Veleno + 1st '19 could be our C solution long term. No sense gutting our depth, even for a Barkov, creating 3-4 smaller holes & filling 1 big one.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
No, that'd gut too much Top 6 offensive depth & potential elite depth. Barkov would be great but I'd rather do more picks, not young cost controlled players.

That’s ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrous. Barkov is truly elite. There is virtually no risk with him.

And there is no group of assets from Detroit that would get Barkov if you don’t include Larkin or Cholowski unless we get the #1 oa for certain this year

Reactions: Snuggs

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That’s ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrous. Barkov is truly elite. There is virtually no risk with him.

And there is no group of assets from Detroit that would get Barkov if you don’t include Larkin or Cholowski unless we get the #1 oa for certain this year
I'm not debating that Barkov isn't elite, he obviously is.

All I'm stating is I'd rather not gut our team, simple.

I'd do #1OA & AA ++ I'd prefer to hang onto Zadina, Hronek & Mantha. OR offer Zadina + 1st (top 5 pick, not 1st OA) & AA that'd be my best offer. Agree to disagree, that's fine.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Yeah I can buy into this too. Just stock pile picks and hope for the best. Mostly becasue I know Florida would never do the deal I proposed.

If I could get Barkov though, I am lol. Silly too think losing two prospects/ two picks/ and two mid line players is too costly for an elite talent at 23 when the organization hasn't drafted a player as good as him in the last 20 years literally.(Datsyuk/Zetterberg) Only thing I worry is him signing long-term(5-7 year deal.)

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Not to mention they're literally in the hunt for a stanley cup run. The hockey mecca maybe of all the world(maybe). Like, realistically, they're not willing to sell out this season for the future. If anything they're doing/going to do the complete opposite and bring in whoever they can.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think what he's saying is its not nearly an equal trade. You're trading a winger that has almost 60 less points in 30 less games for a guy who would automatically become our best center.

is it really worth trading our best Goalie in Mantha to do it though? I guess we'd still have our best Defenseman in Larkin so there's that

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
is it really worth trading our best Goalie in Mantha to do it though? I guess we'd still have our best Defenseman in Larkin so there's that

The f*** are you on about? Mantha is a winger who has 60 less points in 30 less games than Nylander. Nylander is a guy who has played wing and center. On the Wings, he would likely be a center. He would become our best center.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The **** are you on about? Mantha is a winger who has 60 less points in 30 less games than Nylander. Nylander is a guy who has played wing and center. On the Wings, he would likely be a center. He would become our best center.

William Nylander isn't a center to me at all. He isn't a very good center and the few times he has played center with high level talent he got lit up and hurt. He is a very good winger, I think the best you could plan on doing with him is having him turn into the center once you enter the zone how Kane and Kariya for instance made big impacts in this league. But he isn't hard enough on the puck, very good in his own end and if I remember right a fairly mediocre guy on the draw.

I wouldn't trade Larkin for Nylander right now, and I certainly wouldn't project him as a better center than Larkin right now. Now he would be a big time complement to Larkin in my opinion like he is for Matthews.

I have always seen more to like out of Marner at center in terms of the Leafs young wingers that I think could transition positions. I don't see Nylander as a center, he would hopefully slot behind both Larkin and our first round pick from this year anyway. Of course we would have to include a massive add to Mantha to get in on this anyway. Which doesn't seem wise.

It is time to take our medicine in my opinion. Yes chase Karlsson and Trouba. I have time for elite talents in UFA if they make it there. But we don't have the assets to go out and get elite talent and be good yet another way. We need to build up our talent level currently and that is going to be done with a couple rough years in my opinion.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
William Nylander isn't a center to me at all. He isn't a very good center and the few times he has played center with high level talent he got lit up and hurt. He is a very good winger, I think the best you could plan on doing with him is having him turn into the center once you enter the zone how Kane and Kariya for instance made big impacts in this league. But he isn't hard enough on the puck, very good in his own end and if I remember right a fairly mediocre guy on the draw.

I wouldn't trade Larkin for Nylander right now, and I certainly wouldn't project him as a better center than Larkin right now. Now he would be a big time complement to Larkin in my opinion like he is for Matthews.

I have always seen more to like out of Marner at center in terms of the Leafs young wingers that I think could transition positions. I don't see Nylander as a center, he would hopefully slot behind both Larkin and our first round pick from this year anyway. Of course we would have to include a massive add to Mantha to get in on this anyway. Which doesn't seem wise.

It is time to take our medicine in my opinion. Yes chase Karlsson and Trouba. I have time for elite talents in UFA if they make it there. But we don't have the assets to go out and get elite talent and be good yet another way. We need to build up our talent level currently and that is going to be done with a couple rough years in my opinion.

I am not saying I want Nylander. I am saying that Mantha for Nylander is a massive underpayment. That's all.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think what he's saying is its not nearly an equal trade. You're trading a winger that has almost 60 less points in 30 less games for a guy who would automatically become our best center.
Nylander is holding out and Mantha + could work...he had only 13 more points than Mantha. Not Frk compared to McDavid. Clown college response...

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Not sure if I would say Willie boy is better than D-Boss...Maybe equal though.

Reactions: TheMule93

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ya, let's trade the best prospect we've had in 25 years (No, Datsyuk and Zetterberg were not this highly regarded as prospects) for a 31 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad