Would you trade your entire roster + 2023 picks + prospect pool for the 2023 WHL draft class

Yes/No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I’m assuming the idea would be to fill out the rest of the roster with UFAs/trades, which would further make it likely to be a better team in a few years. It would also be needed to reach the floor. That can be dangerous though because you run the risk of getting into cap situations in the future as the WHL guys mature, though I’d consider trying to sign UFAs to an overpay per year but on deals for only 3-4 years, so there’s cap room available as the ELCs of the WHL players expire. Along with taking on bad deals that expire in 3 years for sweeteners, and built out the prospect pool further.

This was my idea as well but the OP wasn't 100% clear on things either, I mean only 10 forwards, 4 Dmen and 3 goalies from this years crop with really only Bedard being NHL worthy but still with the right GM and ownership group[ (otherwise known as my team around these parts) I would do this hypothetical 100 times out of 100 as a Canuck fan.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Buffalo has way too many young good players and prospects to do this. There's no chance Buffalo's going to trade Thompson, Dahlin, Power, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Tuch, Samuelsson, Krebs, Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, Rosen, UPL, and Levi for that. No way.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOALOFSSON

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That roster would probably go 0-82 so good chance you're getting the '24 1OA as well.

They wouldn't go 0-82 as they would need to sign or trade for some salary to make it to the floor.

But truth be told it's a poorly worded OP or not completely thought out.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm not sure. The idea of getting out from a bunch of the Canucks terrible contracts is very appealing. There's a lot of quality in this WHL draft class too.

But losing Pettersson hurts. As well as Hughes, for however flawed he is as a defender, he's a hugely talented transition player that it'd really hurt to lose for nothing. Going back to the drawing board with a goaltender, and no more Demko also presents a challenge.

But Bedard is special, and there are other seriously talented players involved here. I think i do it from a Canucks POV.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Blackhawks fan. Would be totally down to go scorched earth fresh start.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Blackhawks fan 2. Not sure that those guys are better than our current prospect pool (recently ranked 6th best) + 2023 pick which could be bedard anyway. Unless you are letting me also have Fantilli of Carlsson with that 2023 pick. Then I think I’d lean yes. I voted no. I like our defense and goalie prospects much more than these.

Last edited:

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
If you said yes, fans of your team are grateful you’re not in charge.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Only teams that are in the beginning stages of a rebuild should consider it because you'd be locking yourself into at least ~5 years near the bottom of the standings.

Crow

May 19, 2014
To be fair, a team like Chicago who's going to go full rebuild would do it in a heartbeat.
Maybe a year ago or two. Makes no sense now. Might get bedard anyway and we expect to have like 6 picks in the top 2 rounds in addition to our already top rated prospect pool.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad