Proposal: Would You Trade Stützle For Jack Eichel?

Jack Eichel For Stützle

• Total voters

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Jack Eichel is clearly the better player and a more valuable asset than Stutzle but to the sens who are rebuilding and won’t be competitive in a while keeping Stutzle makes more sense

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Jack Eichel is clearly the better player and a more valuable asset than Stutzle but to the sens who are rebuilding and won’t be competitive in a while keeping Stutzle makes more sense
Let’s check back in 365 days and see where this comp stands.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, not really much chance for Stutzle there. Eichel's a top 5 center in the league
Is he though. I would maybe have him as the 5th best centre in the North division if we acquired him.

Overall I have him in the mix of 7-10 league wide.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is he though. I would maybe have him as the 5th best centre in the North division if we acquired him.

Overall I have him in the mix of 7-10 league wide.

Yeah, Matthews, Mcdavid, Drai, MacKinnon, Crosby is a tough group to crack, Eichel is on the cusp of the top 5 but probably not in it, though Crosby will age out eventually.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, not really much chance for Stutzle there. Eichel's a top 5 center in the league

we are comparing a rookie, to a player who's been in the league for multiple seasons. Definitely not a fair assessment. I think this thread should ask if we would trade Stützle for Lafreniere. My answer is still no.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
In my opinion Eichel is overrated so no I keep Jimmy Stu he's got a higher ceiling then Eichel.

Eichel is a #1 franchise centre. Like what's a higher ceiling than that lol.

People are basing their choice of Stützle on two massive assumptions:
1) He will switch to centre.
2) He will become a Hall of Fame centre.

I absolutely love Stütz but am not going to let my inner homer cloud my judgement.

Reactions: SENStastic

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, Matthews, Mcdavid, Drai, MacKinnon, Crosby is a tough group to crack, Eichel is on the cusp of the top 5 but probably not in it, though Crosby will age out eventually.
My power ranking is

Matthews/McDavid

MacKinnon//Draisitl/Scheiffle

Barkov

Eichel/Point/Crosby

Aho/Petersson

Tavares/Zibanejad/O’Reilly

Point in time ranking

Hughes incoming as well.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Eichel is better than Crosby at this point in time.

Crosby and Malkin aren't the same players anymore, that's the reason Pittsburgh are not good. Still elite, but not the elite of the elite as he's been the past 15 years.

Matthews, McDavid, Drai, Mac, Eichel. Those are the guys in my top 5, the elite of the elite. I don't think that's changing anytime soon, maybe get another player or two in it.

Crosby, Schiefele, Aho, Barkov, Point, Petterson, Bergeron making up some combination of remaining top 10.

Maybe I overrate Eichel, but he's very easily in the Elite grouping for me. Not many guys that have elite size, skating, I.Q, passing, stick handling and shooting, 4-5 of them are in that grouping.

20 years old - Eichel 0.93 ppg - O'Rielly 0.76 ppg
21 years old - Eichel 0.96 ppg - O'Rielly 0.75 ppg
22 years old - Eichel 1.07 ppg - Reinhart 0.79 ppg
23 years old - Eichel 1.15 ppg - Reinhart 0.72 ppg

He's been significantly outproducing his teammates since his 20 year old season, not sure what other centers outside the Elite are outproducing teammates like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Micklebot

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
we are comparing a rookie, to a player who's been in the league for multiple seasons. Definitely not a fair assessment. I think this thread should ask if we would trade Stützle for Lafreniere. My answer is still no.
Yes, an Elite player who has been producing at an elite level for multiple seasons, hence me saying there was little chance.

That's a question that will likely heavily favour the guy we have. If we had Lafreniere, the results would likely be Lafreniere.

I'm perfectly content with Stutzle, he's going to be a star. Likewise with Lafreniere, regardless of his horrid start.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Eichel is better than Crosby at this point in time.

Crosby and Malkin aren't the same players anymore, that's the reason Pittsburgh are not good. Still elite, but not the elite of the elite as he's been the past 15 years.

Matthews, McDavid, Drai, Mac, Eichel. Those are the guys in my top 5, the elite of the elite. I don't think that's changing anytime soon, maybe get another player or two in it.

Crosby, Schiefele, Aho, Barkov, Point, Petterson, Bergeron making up some combination of remaining top 10.

Maybe I overrate Eichel, but he's very easily in the Elite grouping for me. Not many guys that have elite size, skating, I.Q, passing, stick handling and shooting, 4-5 of them are in that grouping.

20 years old - Eichel 0.93 ppg - O'Rielly 0.76 ppg
21 years old - Eichel 0.96 ppg - O'Rielly 0.75 ppg
22 years old - Eichel 1.07 ppg - Reinhart 0.79 ppg
23 years old - Eichel 1.15 ppg - Reinhart 0.72 ppg

He's been significantly outproducing his teammates since his 20 year old season, not sure what other centers outside the Elite are outproducing teammates like that.
I think you are underrating Scheiffle and Barkov they are so good. I have them both clearly ahead of Eichel based on their overall games and their point per game offence.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
My power ranking is

Matthews/McDavid

MacKinnon//Draisitl/Scheiffle

Barkov

Eichel/Point/Crosby

Aho/Petersson

Tavares/Zibanejad/O’Reilly

Point in time ranking

Hughes incoming as well.

Matthews better than Mackinnon? On what planet?

In a vacuum McDavid is in a league on his own, but I consider Mackinnon to be a more complete overall player.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I have watched both Eichel and Stützle when they broke into the league, and Eichel was nowhere near as exciting a player to watch compared to Stützle.

You could tell he had elite skill, but you were never quite sure watching him (at the time 18-19 years old) what type of player he was going to be exactly. He ended up being a way better goal scorer than I gave him credit for, but overall he plays a pretty safe style of hockey.

Stützle on the other hand, is displaying a combination of skating and puck handling skills that I have only ever seen a handful of players do. He is explosive, he is shifty, he sees the ice exceptionally, he is still raw and has basically 19 year old kid strength, but once he fills out, he is going to be a threat every single time he is on the ice with the puck on his stick.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think you are underrating Scheiffle and Barkov they are so good. I have them both clearly ahead of Eichel based on their overall games and their point per game offence.
I love both guys. I think you put Schiefele on Buffalo and Eichel on Winnipeg, Eichel's numbers would greatly increase and Scheifele's would greatly decrease.

Schiefele has only led the Jets in scoring 1/9 seasons. He's fantastic, and in the top 10 for sure, but his numbers are being helped immensely by having 4 separate ppg forwards on the Jets other than him over the past 6 seasons.

The past 4 seasons, since 2016-17, Eichel has 281 points in 273 games (1.03 ppg), the Sabres have scored 822 goals over that time frame. Eichel's been involved in 34% of the Sabres offense while missing 42 of the Sabres games over that span. The next closest guy in that time frame is Reinhart with 212 points in 312 games (0.68 ppg), involved in 25% of their offense.

Since 2016-17, Schiefele has 299 points in 292 games (1.02 ppg), the Jets have scored 1014 goals over that time frame. Schiefele has been involved in 29% of the Jets offense while missing 25 of the games over that time. In that time frame Wheeler had 321 points in 316 games (1.02 ppg), involved in 31% of the Jets offense.

Jets are extremely lucky, they have had 4 elite offensive players on their roster over the 5 years in Wheeler, Laiane, Schiefele and Connor.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I have watched both Eichel and Stützle when they broke into the league, and Eichel was nowhere near as exciting a player to watch compared to Stützle.

You could tell he had elite skill, but you were never quite sure watching him (at the time 18-19 years old) what type of player he was going to be exactly. He ended up being a way better goal scorer than I gave him credit for, but overall he plays a pretty safe style of hockey.

Stützle on the other hand, is displaying a combination of skating and puck handling skills that I have only ever seen a handful of players do. He is explosive, he is shifty, he sees the ice exceptionally, he is still raw and has basically 19 year old kid strength, but once he fills out, he is going to be a threat every single time he is on the ice with the puck on his stick.
This is nothing similar to what I saw watching Eichel as a rookie, or now

Last edited:
Reactions: Masked and cudi

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I love both guys. I think you put Schiefele on Buffalo and Eichel on Winnipeg, Eichel's numbers would greatly increase and Scheifele's would greatly decrease.

Schiefele has only led the Jets in scoring 1/9 seasons. He's fantastic, and in the top 10 for sure, but his numbers are being helped immensely by having 4 separate ppg forwards on the Jets other than him over the past 6 seasons.

The past 4 seasons, since 2016-17, Eichel has 281 points in 273 games (1.03 ppg), the Sabres have scored 822 goals over that time frame. Eichel's been involved in 34% of the Sabres offense while missing 42 of the Sabres games over that span. The next closest guy in that time frame is Reinhart with 212 points in 312 games (0.68 ppg), involved in 25% of their offense.

Since 2016-17, Schiefele has 299 points in 292 games (1.02 ppg), the Jets have scored 1014 goals over that time frame. Schiefele has been involved in 29% of the Jets offense while missing 25 of the games over that time. In that time frame Wheeler had 321 points in 316 games (1.02 ppg), involved in 31% of the Jets offense.

Jets are extremely lucky, they have had 4 elite offensive players on their roster over the 5 years in Wheeler, Laiane, Schiefele and Connor.
Scheiffle and Barkov provide a PPG with elite 2 way play. To me that more than makes up for the small offensive gap between Eichel and them.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Matthews better than Mackinnon? On what planet?

In a vacuum McDavid is in a league on his own, but I consider Mackinnon to be a more complete overall player.
Lol, I hate the Leafs and Matthews as much as anyone but he might be the best player in the league this year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My reasoning is because I see Eichel a tier above Jimmy, and we already know he's a franchise centreman that we hope Stutzle can be, but that's not a guarantee. We've been searching for an eichel forever, if we finally have the chance to grab him, it's worth it for me. I expect us to be playoff competitive in 2 seasons, eichel will be 26 and we should have at least5-6 years of seriously competing, while getting better and better in each of those years. Eichel is worth 10M, and if Stutzle gets anywhere near eichel's level then he'll command that kind of money too. The only real drawback is the age difference, stutzle will give you more of his prime when it matters most (ie 2years from now and after), but I'd be ok with the risk and take that swap easy, Eichel will be the better bet imo.

I understand your reasonning and it's not wrong but :

a) How confident would you be that Eichel re-signs in Ottawa after the 5 years?
b) If we swap Stutzle-Eichel, when do you think the team starts to make some noise in the playoffs?

If your answer for a) is not likely, then you have to substract your answer at b) from 5 years

That gives you Ottawa's window to win anything.

You say we might be competitive in 2 seasons, is it excluding this season? So that would mean 2022-23 no?

There's not just one way to build a successful team and it's also impossible to predict with that move but IMO, I'd rather have a core group of homegrown players (Chabot, Stutzle, Tkachuk, Sanderson, Batheson, Formenton, Pinto+++) and take my chance on Stutzle staying 10+ year with Ottawa

Chabot and White are best friends, Tkachuk and Norris too, Jimmy seems to be part of it. These guys want to play together and eventually win together. A team culture is important

Matthews is easily the next after McDavid. He’s brilliant. Might have the best shot I’ve ever seen.

Best release but the best shot is Ovie. Matthews release must be hell for goalies, extremely hard to read.

McDavid/Draisaitl/MacKinnon/Matthews

Barkov, Scheifele, Eichel, Point are the next tier IMO

Crosby, Malkin, Bergeron, Stamkos, Backstrom are still elite but injuries/age slow you down at some point.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Going on record that Stuetzle goes for .9 PPG next year. Superstar in the making.

It will also cost Eugene a crapload of money in 2 and a half years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad