Would you trade Kessel for Patrice Bergeron straight up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
The notion that losing Kessel wouldn't cause "any sort of drop in the standings" is far more crazy than anything else you tried to correct.

Kessel is monstrous, and I think Bruins fans enjoy forgetting that. He put up 37 goals and finished sixth in scoring, you'd notice his absence pretty easily.

To be fair, Kessel had a monstrous season and the Leafs finished 13th in our conference. Would it really make any difference if we finished dead last, except for a better draft pick? Kessel is a weapon, but the leafs aren't even in the fight.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
The notion that losing Kessel wouldn't cause "any sort of drop in the standings" is far more crazy than anything else you tried to correct.

Kessel is monstrous, and I think Bruins fans enjoy forgetting that. He put up 37 goals and finished sixth in scoring, you'd notice his absence pretty easily.

Not with 22 goal scorer Patrice Bergeron on the case :sarcasm:

I think people also forget that Patrice is just a small cog in the well maintained machine that is the Boston Bruins. In the 06-07 season Phil Kessel had a better +/- than the 'defensive stalwart'.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto

I think people also forget that Patrice is just a small cog in the well maintained machine that is the Boston Bruins. In the 06-07 season Phil Kessel had a better +/- than the 'defensive stalwart'.

Selke winners are seldomly small cogs.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

Small cog? In that case Kessel is just a small cog in our very poorly maintained machine, is he not?

Bergeron led Boston's forwards in icetime, as did Kessel for us.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
No.

If Bergeron didn't have those injury setbacks and was producing offensively like he was back around the last lockout, I would do it without thinking twice.

At this point though, he's probably a 1B centre and it just wouldn't be worth making the deal. We fill a hole on our roster by creating a hole. Not to mention the optics of trading Kessel back to the Bruins.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
Small cog? In that case Kessel is just a small cog in our very poorly maintained machine, is he not?

Bergeron led Boston's forwards in icetime, as did Kessel for us.

So we can just assume away the difference that is Zdeno Chara?

Look, the easiest way to compare players is by equating them in some aspect. What better way to do so than to look at when they played together?

Should a Selke winner not easily have a higher +/- than a sophomore on the same team?

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
He's had two seasons where he has had a +/- of greater than 10. Not exactly note-worthy.

I hope you enjoy citing +/-, it's rarely indicative of the full story.

He's finished top-5 in Selke voting the last three years, I think that's enough to conclude he's more than a cog. More accurately he's among the best two-way players in the league.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
I hope you enjoy citing +/-, it's rarely indicative of the full story.

He's finished top-5 in Selke voting the last three years, I think that's enough to conclude he's more than a cog. More accurately he's among the best two-way players in the league.

It's funny how often +/- gets brought up whenever discussion of Kessel and Lupul takes place but heaven forbid it occur when comparing Kessel to another player.

Again, I'm not doubting Bergeron's talent or his ability to play defensively. I'm suggesting that having Chara doesn't exactly hurt his +/- and defensive responsibilities, does it?

Descendent*

what would be the point of this trade? a bird in the hand right....

leafs know what they have with kessel and he is only getting better. he works with what we have and burke paid a **** load to get him here. ryan would be amazing to have on the leafs but the goal would be to add ryan to what we have not make lateral moves at best.

I don't think Kessel re-signs with the Leafs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
It's funny how often +/- gets brought up whenever discussion of Kessel and Lupul takes place but heaven forbid it occur when comparing Kessel to another player.

Again, I'm not doubting Bergeron's talent or his ability to play defensively. I'm suggesting that having Chara doesn't exactly hurt his +/- and defensive responsibilities, does it?

Of course it doesn't.

Anyway, no way the Leafs trade Kessel for Bergeron.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
bergeron wouldn't be effective on this leaf team, especially without kessel.

Dump on Kessel all you want, the guy can outright score. Surround him with the right players and the whole team gets better, WITH Kessel as a key contributor, not as a support player.

I think Bergeron's a very good player, can do a lot of things well, but he's nowhere close to Kessel in overall impact on the ice.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
So we can just assume away the difference that is Zdeno Chara?

Look, the easiest way to compare players is by equating them in some aspect. What better way to do so than to look at when they played together?

Should a Selke winner not easily have a higher +/- than a sophomore on the same team?

+/- is not why Bergeron won the Selke and regularly finishes high in the voting, so fixating on that isn't actually making any sort of point. His +/- from six years ago...do I really need to address this?

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012

Didn't the Kessel-line face the Bergy-line 6 times the last season?

Bergy 6p +7
Kessel 3p -11

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
bergeron wouldn't be effective on this leaf team, especially without kessel.

Dump on Kessel all you want, the guy can outright score. Surround him with the right players and the whole team gets better, WITH Kessel as a key contributor, not as a support player.

I think Bergeron's a very good player, can do a lot of things well, but he's nowhere close to Kessel in overall impact on the ice.

I think he is, it's just a very different kind of impact. And lest we underrate Bergeron, he did score 30 goals and 73 points in his second NHL season. Kessel had 3 more assists than Bergeron last year, and Kessel's career high in assists is actually lower than Bergeron's.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
I think he is, it's just a very different kind of impact. And lest we underrate Bergeron, he did score 30 goals and 73 points in his second NHL season. Kessel had 3 more assists than Bergeron last year, and Kessel's career high in assists is actually lower than Bergeron's.

So you can dismiss +/- from 6 years ago but Patrice's points from 7 years ago are fair game? :laugh:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
So you can dismiss +/- from 6 years ago but Patrice's points from 7 years ago are fair game? :laugh:

+/- from six years ago have what exactly to do with how good he is currently considered to be defensively?

The points he scored 7 years ago are relevant to a discussion of his offensive capabilities. Unless you think he's a worse center now than he was in his second NHL season?

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
Certainly not a true double standard, and not worthy of a laugh.

Points will always be more indicative of an individuals play versus the team stat that +/- is.

There also exists instances of "outliers". Patrice Bergeron has scored 30 goals or more once in his career (10%) while Kessel has done so four times in his career (66%).

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
+/- from six years ago have what exactly to do with how good he is currently considered to be defensively?

The points he scored 7 years ago are relevant to a discussion of his offensive capabilities. Unless you think he's a worse center now than he was in his second NHL season?

Certainly it could be stated that Bergeron's defensive capacity has come at the expense of scoring. However, it would be near negligent to dismiss the couple of years where you could actually hold a ceteris paribus experiment.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
There also exists instances of "outliers". Patrice Bergeron has scored 30 goals or more once in his career (10%) while Kessel has done so four times in his career (66%).

If you want to present that as an "outlier" when he's been close to that point pace in two other seasons, then what do you consider Kessel's production last season? His next closest season was 18 points less.

Kessel has had over 35 assists once in his career (16.7%) while Bergeron has done so four times in his career. See how that works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad