Would you trade Karlsson for Malkin?

The Fuhr*

No... I would not trade EK for anyone... At his best he is the best player in the game given his skill set.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
No... I would not trade EK for anyone... At his best he is the best player in the game given his skill set.

In a couple of years I think we will see Karlsson's name come up on a regular basis when mass media is discussing the best player in the game. He showed pre-Cooke that he wasn't that far off.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
If you only consider player for player I probably would. Malkin is siiiiick, one of my favorite player in the game! But if you consider our defense if we trade EK and the fact that EK is my favorite player, I wouldn't

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I actually don't know. Part of me says Malkin is a better player but part of me says karlsson can effect a game more...hmmm so tough. To people on either side saying its an easy choice is biased in their ideology on this one.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
I almost said yes because I think if Erik Karlsson were drafted by another team and I had to pick between the two, I might go with Malkin.

Giving it some thought, I wouldn't do it. Been a big fan of EK's ever since the day he was drafted. He's an amazing player who I think will only get better.

I think in the end I'd only be happy if we got Crosby for him.
Need to see how Stamkos comes back, but he'd be a maybe.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Relevant to this discussion is the broader opinion of HF members. According to this, Karlsson is ranked 4th among players under 25, which of course excludes Crosby, Malkin, Gezlaf and others. Just a little more perspective.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Ahh, have you seen Malkin play?

I don't think anyone is saying karlsson is better then Malkin. Malkin is better.

But there are definitely things in karlssons favour. I'll name a couple for example.

Karlsson is a few years younger. Karlsson should just be entering his prime soon whereas malkin is well into his prime.

Karlsson also plays almost 50% more on some nights.

When malkin is playing 20ish minutes and karlsson pushes 30 minutes some nights, even if malkin was a 97/100 and karlsson was a 92/100 that 5% better wasn't enough to match karlssons 40% more toi.

Its a similar idealogy to having a one line team vs a well balanced team.

The one line team(malkin) may have the best line/players but the balanced team can maintain good play for longer despite a lower peak.

The one line team can be better for a short period(20 mins) but the other team will play good for longer (27 mins)

* my numbers are rough estimates. Im on mobile at work so I don't have time to check. Just ball parking. You get my point.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
Wow. Really Sens fans? Karlsson over Malkin? I'd take Malkin in a split second.

I would choose Karlsson over Malkin simply based on age. I think they're both huge impact players, Malkin probably even the slight edge because he's arguably the best or 2nd best player in the NHL at any given time.

The issue is that Malkin is 27 and Karlsson is 23. Karlsson still has time to grow and mature (and could arguably sustain his game for longer than Malkin will). Honestly its the only reason to choose between them. The younger car has more value long-term. Short-term Malkin is equal or better, but it's not like there is a big gap between them. In fact I'd argue who you put first is really just who you're a bigger fan of. They're both incredible talents.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I see Karlsson as being successful for a longer period. Plus there's the realistic possibility he could have a career equivalent to that of Niklas Lidstrom.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If Spezza died tomorrow, sure. He's not going to die though. I'd do it for Crosby regardless of Spezza being on our team or not but with Spezza - I just don't think it's worth trading away Karlsson for Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad