Proposal: Would you trade Jake Gardiner for Sean Monahan/Elias Lindholm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The only way Gardiner should be traded is if it is for a proven top line centre. Period!

If it takes a package deal, then,so be it!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What makes you think the Leafs don't want Gardiner?

It's not that they don't want them, more addressing a positional need through organizational depth.

I would even question is Gardiner enough to move inside #7.

The only way Gardiner should be traded is if it is for a proven top line centre. Period!

If it takes a package deal, then,so be it!

No one is trading an established top line Center for Gardiner so that is a moot point. And why would they in the first place?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It's not that they don't want them, more addressing a positional need through organizational depth.

No one is trading an established top line Center for Gardiner so that is a moot point. And why would they in the first place?

Good, then we get to keep him!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You're equating the Bruins situation with the Leafs when they aren't similar. It's easy to take a risk and move a Player when they no longer have that Player in their plans. That isn't the case with Gardiner.

Whether he's enough to get the #7 we'll never know, no chance they make that move.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You're equating the Bruins situation with the Leafs when they aren't similar. It's easy to take a risk and move a Player when they no longer have that Player in their plans. That isn't the case with Gardiner.

Whether he's enough to get the #7 we'll never know, no chance they make that move.

Not really, I am just illustrating trading a more proven player for an unknown is not always as risky as it is proported here.

Raycroft won the calder, Gardiner did not. Nor was Rask as a sure thing at the time as a Monahan is, who by all accounts is going to be a top 2 way Top 6 C in the NHL one day.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Bruins gave up a proven young NHL goalie for a prospect goalie once. :sarcasm:

Risk has already been worth it.

A proven young goalie that was broken for a whole year before the trade, if I remember correctly.

Leaf scouts thought he would get better and back to his one year wonder performance level.

Shiit happens and so do big mistakes!!!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Not really, I am just illustrating trading a more proven player for an unknown is not always as risky as it is proported here.

Raycroft won the calder, Gardiner did not. Nor was Rask as a sure thing at the time as a Monahan is, who by all accounts is going to be a top 2 way Top 6 C in the NHL one day.

Raycrap made a fool of JFJ and the Leafs! Boston won this trade in spades!

I say keep Gardiner until something better comes along. Rielly maybe?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
The talk in the rumour mills is that IF Toronto wants #7, it would take Gardiner + #21 ... in which case the answer is a resounding NO.

If it was #21 + Percy / Finn / Blacker - you'd have to think about it - but Gardiner is not going anywhere unless it's a huge blockbuster getting us a clear, established #1C

I say we keep our young assets and just get Lazar or someone similar.

Ideal situation would be to ADD the NYI #15 pick and get Horvat & Fucale :yo:

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
It looks like Edmonton will move their #7 pick for a player that can help them soon(er).

The speculation is that they want a top 6 centre that can contribute on the ice even when not scoring points. That's not something we can offer them but Jake Gardiner is Justin Schultz' former teammate and best buddy. Jake also has a very good relationship with new Oilers coach Dallas Eakins.

We all know how talented Jake is and what kind of upside he has. He's probably the most promising young defenceman the Maple Leafs have had in at least a couple decades. That said, Burke picked Morgan Rielly in the 2012 draft and we've managed to add Matthew Finn, Stuary Percy and Tom Nilsson in the last two drafts. Jesse Blacker, Korbinian Holzer and Petter Granberg are still developing and could all play at the NHL level (in some capacity) when they're ready.

It's ultimately a choice between having a combo of Kadri/Gardiner/Rielly or Kadri/Monohan/Rielly.

If there was the option of swapping Jake Gardiner for the 7th overall pick, would you do it?

Yes I would for Monahan he is a legit #1 two way centre prospect, a player who is not a purely offensive player who will win scoring titles but someone who will be a leader, take care of his defense and has more than enough offensive ability to make his wingers better. So yes, the Leafs have not had a legit #1 centre for so long

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
The talk in the rumour mills is that IF Toronto wants #7, it would take Gardiner + #21 ... in which case the answer is a resounding NO.

If it was #21 + Percy / Finn / Blacker - you'd have to think about it - but Gardiner is not going anywhere unless it's a huge blockbuster getting us a clear, established #1C

I say we keep our young assets and just get Lazar or someone similar.

Ideal situation would be to ADD the NYI #15 pick and get Horvat & Fucale :yo:

Grabo + Percy/Finn/Blacker + 21 for 7 and Horcoff

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
I would foam in the mouth if the Leafs can get Monahan for Gardiner + 21st pick. Quality for quality.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Dion on the top pairing is not ideal. He can't succeed playing over 20-22 minutes a game. Gardiner top pairing in a year or two with someone predictable and defensive minded would be great then Dion+Gunnar/Rielly and Franson/Gunnar/Finn/X

How so? He's proven more then capable of shutting down top players consistently. The biggest problem is playing him over 25 minutes every game. They even provided a stat this season showing how incredible Dion was when playing less then 25mins a night. The Leafs need a reliable 2nd pairing more then anything else.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

don't be so sure about that. Gardiner is young, has virutally no cap it, and potential to be a top 5 or 10 defender in the league within the next couple of years.

that's the reason i don't want to trade him.

amazing defenseman with no cap hit > established centre commanding $6mil+

getting a player of gardiner's skill without a cap hit is impossible... that's why we shouldn't even consider trading him

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
So we're saying that someone who dominated the biggest junior tournament in the world, and put up dazzling performances as a youngster, in a pro league, who also won goaltender of the tournament, was LESS of a sure thing, than a guy who hasn't won anything outside of an OHL rookie of the month award back in 2010?

Lol.

People need to pump the brakes. The comparison there isn't even close.

Again, if it's not landing you Barkov or MacKinnon, it's not worth losing a top pairing D-man.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
don't be so sure about that. Gardiner is young, has virutally no cap it, and potential to be a top 5 or 10 defender in the league within the next couple of years.

that's the reason i don't want to trade him.

amazing defenseman with no cap hit > established centre commanding $6mil+

getting a player of gardiner's skill without a cap hit is impossible... that's why we shouldn't even consider trading him

Gardiner was already traded once with Lupul and a 4th rd pick for an aging underforming D man for us who was obtained for nothing more than money. You really think he is worth as much as you are suggesting?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
A proven young goalie that was broken for a whole year before the trade, if I remember correctly.

Leaf scouts thought he would get better and back to his one year wonder performance level.

Shiit happens and so do big mistakes!!!

Hmmm one could say our boy Jake was broken all year except for the playoffs where he regained his mojo.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
How so? He's proven more then capable of shutting down top players consistently. The biggest problem is playing him over 25 minutes every game. They even provided a stat this season showing how incredible Dion was when playing less then 25mins a night. The Leafs need a reliable 2nd pairing more then anything else.
He needs a partner who can move the puck well. I think he'll still be playing more minutes against possession-positive teams. We just need someone better than Gunnarsson.

If Gardiner was more defensively aware/ physical, he would be perfect. Franson could work, but I think his ability to attack from the blue line needs to be on a separate pairing. There is a homegrown solution to this problem, IMO.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I dont see any logic in trading a guy who is ready to start contributing for a PROSPECT who likely wont be ready to make the same impact for 2 years from now.

If you trade Gardiner, it has to be for a forward in a similar stage of NHL development. For example if we needed a winger, someone like Eberle. Doesnt make sense to go back years in development just because this new batch of prospects is new.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Raycroft played himself out of Boston's plans. They had Toivonen ready to step in at the time and they figured they'd just get back futures for Raycroft. That's very different from trading one cornerstone at one position for a bigger gamble at another, since none of Lindholm or Monahan or Horvat are likely to fill a top center position for years, if ever.

Look at the timelines for non elite first overall-ish talent. A great young center like Logan Couture is only coming into his own now as a first line go to center, and he was picked in 2007. That's a more reasonable time frame for those three players you're citing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad