Speculation: Would you trade Fowler for Nino Neiderreiter??

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What?? :shakehead

You're severely underrating Niederreiter. Just because he had a bad year in the NHL at the age of 19, doesn't mean he's all of a sudden a terrible prospect. If you put Etem in the NHL last year, I would guarantee he'd have a hell of time producing too. Nino wasn't ready for the NHL, and it was a stupid decision by the Isles. He's still only 20 years old, he has lots of talent and upside, and can very well be a very good player in the NHL in a few years.

Patrick Maroon is 24, slow, with limited upside. Maroon had a good year in the AHL last year, but it's the AHL. Jason Krog was an amazing AHL player too, but he still was a well below average NHLer. I'm not saying Maroon can't be a decent NHL hockey player one day, but comparing him to Niederreiter is crazy.

55 games played last year and scored all of one point, a goal. Isn't he supposed to be a scoring power forward? It's okay to have a slump, but a slump like that is reserved for bottom pairing defensemen. If he was Etem and produced that result in his second stint with the Ducks, then wouldn't you be more than a bit concerned? When Bones has scored more than Nino, then something has got to be up with Nino.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
55 games played last year and scored all of one point, a goal. Isn't he supposed to be a scoring power forward? It's okay to have a slump, but a slump like that is reserved for bottom pairing defensemen. If he was Etem and produced that result in his second stint with the Ducks, then wouldn't you be more than a bit concerned? When Bones has scored more than Nino, then something has got to be up with Nino.

Bonino has played with better players then Nino to be fair.

Pandolfo who hasn't put up more then 10 points in 5 years, and Reasoner who seemingly has had his age catch up to him and went from 20-30 point forward to under 10 points. Not much you can when you play with players who have stone hands and you only get around 9-10 minutes a night.

I'd be a bit surprised if Ducks kept Etem up for a 55 game stint where he only put up 1 point.

Corey Perry*

It might be a tiny bit concerning, but when you're a 19 year old kid, who isn't exactly ready for the NHL, playing under 10 minutes a night, with grinders and guys who aren't very skilled, it's not exactly surprising. Also, there's nothing wrong with Bonino outscoring Niederreiter. Bonino was a man with some NHL experience, and Niederreiter was a teen who wasn't ready for the NHL.

Let me put this in baseball terms: Let's say the Angels decided to take one of their better young prospects out of single A, and place him on the big league team. This player goes onto struggle against major league pitching, and hits far below the Mendoza line. Does that mean this young player is a crappy player, and that you should start worrying about him? No, he's just not ready, and it showed. Even the best of prospects (Trout), take some time to develop. Nino got put in a position he wasn't exactly ready for.

Give Nino some time before you start getting worried about him busting.

Corey Perry*

Would you trade Cam Fowler for Erik Johnson ?

Johnson's a good player, but Fowler looks like he might become the better player of the two down the road. Johnson is a bit of a disappointment, considering he was a #1 overall pick.

There's only a few defensemen around Fowler's age that I would take over him, btw.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Johnson's a good player, but Fowler looks like he might become the better player of the two down the road. Johnson is a bit of a disappointment, considering he was a #1 overall pick.

There's only a few defensemen around Fowler's age that I would take over him, btw.

Yep...And those guys are the untouchable players for most teams (Pietrangelo, Doughty, Letang, OEL, etc.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad