Would you trade Edvinsson for Power?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Eh, if he's Frolunda's best option on the powerplay they should play him there. If fatigue is an issue then you cut back 5v5 minutes, not powerplay time.

It's not that unusual for an 18yo to play all 5v5 and both special teams. I don't see why Edvinsson would be an exception, especially when fitness is one of his best assets.

I'm not sure Frolunda is convinced he's the best option on the powerplay right now. That's fair, they're a good team, but it's a bit unfortunate for us.
It’s more that they have other options on the PP with more experience. They wanted to try Simon there because they think he can be better, but the icetime became a bit crazy and Frölunda’s PP works without him. This is straight from Frölunda’s coach btw, not speculation.
You don’t cut back 5-on-5 minutes for someone is arguably your best 5-on-5 player.

People need to understand how rare it is for an 18 year old in the SHL to be top pairing/line, as well as being on both special teams. Not sure it has ever happened.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
For a long time I had Hughes #1 and Edvinsson #2, I think the Worlds really wore me down to Power and Edvinsson had some turnover issues that did alarm you a little. But that was always a ceiling argument in terms of why I liked Hughes and Edvinsson more personally. They have higher skating tools and better hands in my opinion. I guess we will see, but I was extremely happy with both Raymond and Edvinsson, they were guys with tons of raw tools and the kind of guys I want to draft. They don't always work out, but the kind of gambles I like and I am glad seems to be driving Yzerman and Draper in terms of amateur talent.

Buffalo wouldn't deal Power, the like him a great deal and that was their talent assessment and frankly it aligns with most of the hockey world.

Edvinsson and Seider are really solid building blocks, Seider's impact should also make Edvinsson's transition easier which is something we have lacked for a bit which usually helps development is lowering some stakes and pressure. We will see, fascinated to see Edvinsson at this point, I hope he is in North America next year. I think we should have a more positive developmental environment than Buffalo which does also help shape this question in my opinion.

You watched the worlds and came away lower on Power than before??? or am I misreading that?

As for the question, I wouldnt trade Edvinsson for Power but Buffalo would feel thee xact same way. This is a draft that top D will be up in the air for a long time

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You watched the worlds and came away lower on Power than before??? or am I misreading that?

As for the question, I wouldnt trade Edvinsson for Power but Buffalo would feel thee xact same way. This is a draft that top D will be up in the air for a long time

No I bumped him up on my final list. I am saying I should have stuck to my guns on that. I think Power is going to be a very good player, I just like Edvinsson's potential a little more because like I said he has a touch better skating and hands in my opinion. Difference between a lot of arm chair and the people that do it is trusting that and sticking your neck out. Every once in a while you really do feel man I must be really wrong, Kakko was like that for me too, where I know he had a great year but you kept thinking does this translate quite as well as everyone thinks, but when everywhere you turn people are saying of course, you wonder if you're missing something massive there.

Power has been really good for U of M. Worth noting Hughes who is nearly year younger is on pace to far outperform his Freshman year shortly from the same draft class though. He should match it before the New Year and they have the same amount of goals in their careers at U of M currently. Which is an interesting one because high scoring D-man usually do hint this in a big way. Not all of them, but most put up pretty big goal totals on their way to the league. I will be fascinated to watch those three, a lot of talent in terms of LD in that draft.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad